I have a Google Play Edition Nexus 4. I am using it on an AT&T MVNO, so I'm not sure if I get carrier updates or if I get updates directly from Google (I assume directly from Google, but I'm not sure).

I am still running Android 4.4.4 because I've heard that Android 5 had some issues with the Nexus 4. It was suggested to wait until Android 5.1.1 came out.

I am seeing where it's been stated that Android 5.1.1 is available for Nexus 4, but I don't seem to have that update available for me. I have an update for Android 5.0.1, which has been there for months (several months) but I have just ignored it.

Do I have to upgrade to Android 5.0.1 before I'll see the option for Android 5.1.1?

Do I even want to upgrade to Android 5.1.1?

I'm actually quite satisfied with Android 4.4.4, other than the annoying "System Update Available" message coming up every time I wake up my phone. I assume Google will eventually drop support for Android 4.4.4 so an upgrade may eventually be necessary.
    05-26-2015 11:03 AM
    If you can avoid the update, you might want to unless you really like Material Design, and are prepared to possibly have your phone start to lag, etc. 😳
    evotz likes this.
    05-26-2015 12:23 PM
    To be honest, that's what I'd really prefer to do. I haven't come across any apps, that I use, that require Android 5. Would love to be able to shut off that annoying update notification though.

I have worked in IT before. I know the importance of keeping software up to date and secure. I can understand Google wanting to shut down support for KitKat at some point (have they set an EOL date?). But I believe they are still supporting KitKat, at least as it concerns security. I understand that there probably won't be any new features added to KitKat, and I'm fine with that. Just as long as it is still supported from a security standpoint.

But I would love to be able to turn off that notification. I wish Google had a "Yes, I know Lollipop is out there. No I don't want to upgrade to it just yet. I'll let you know when I'm ready. Quit bugging me." button.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    05-26-2015 01:04 PM
    I disabled the notification before I decided to finally go with the update. If I remember correctly, long press the notification, select App Info and I think there is a check box to turn off or disable the notification.
    mrsmumbles, evotz and ChromeJob like this.
    05-26-2015 09:09 PM
    I would not upgrade to lollipop until they fix the stability issues with it. Most notably the black screen of death. My Nexus 4 has been all but useless for months because it randomly freezes and doesn't turn back on.

That being said I just got my OTA notification that 5.1.1 is ready to be installed. Was hoping 5.1 would fix the issues. Here's hoping 5.1.1 does the trick!
    05-27-2015 09:13 PM
    My son is still using my old Nexus 4, now on 5.1.1. He did the standard OTA update and says it' running fine.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    05-27-2015 11:00 PM
    Black screen of death still unfixed in 5.1.1. My Nexus 4 with 5.1.1 on it just did it... I had to 'Power+Volume Down' to start the phone. I think i going to re-flash my phone with Kitkat soon..
    05-28-2015 03:16 AM
    Have you done a clear cache and reset? Might straighten it out.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    05-28-2015 06:33 AM
    I got the 5.1.1 notification this morning and installed it. Will report any noticeable differences.
    05-28-2015 12:05 PM
    Yes I did. At this point seem like Google don’t know what they are doing with their Lollipop (buggy as hell). Never seen anything like that in Jelly beans and Kitkat. Also 20% battery drain overnight in airplane mode…not good.
    CoMoNexus likes this.
    05-28-2015 03:08 PM
    Black screen of death still unfixed in 5.1.1. My Nexus 4 with 5.1.1 on it just did it... I had to 'Power+Volume Down' to start the phone. I think i going to re-flash my phone with Kitkat soon..
    I would not upgrade to lollipop until they fix the stability issues with it. Most notably the black screen of death. My Nexus 4 has been all but useless for months because it randomly freezes and doesn't turn back on.

That being said I just got my OTA notification that 5.1.1 is ready to be installed. Was hoping 5.1 would fix the issues. Here's hoping 5.1.1 does the trick!
    try disabling all animations. windows animations scale, transition animation scale and animator duration scale in developer options. This worked for me(been about 30 days now). Before that I downgraded to kit kat 4.4.4. that did not help the black screen of death/sleep of death it occurred again a few days later.

*update 5/30 I had this occur with kit kat(w/ animation fix) i thought it was a fluke now i have this on 5.1.1(w/ animation fix). I did have 1 "sleep of death" during that time. I had turned off my screen couple seconds later tried to turn it right back on again i couldn't. It just happened now with 5.1.1. So it's really still not fixed but it is way better than it was before.
    05-29-2015 08:04 AM
    I had hung on 4.4.4 until 5.1 came out. When I had flashed 5.0.1 I immediately had Bluetooth issues, and lag, so I back-flashed.

When 5.1 came out I started downloading, and immediately 5.1.1 came out. I SHOULD'VE READ THE WRITING ON THE WALL. The factory image for 5.1.1 would flash but the boot animation would loop for hours. I tried a few online suggestions (XDA Dev forums), and got further to the "Configuring apps" screen ... which continued for hours.

5.0.1 wouldn't flash over it. So back to 4.4.4. I've read many who've successfully updated with OTAs, which I rarely do (factory flashing is more effective and reliable IMHO), so I might restore stock recovery and let the 5.0.1 OTA install.

I'm in a job search so I really can't be without a phone. I'm pretty ticked off that Google/Android team screw with our phones like this ... it's not a computer first and optionally a phone, it's a phone first and a pocket computer second!
    06-11-2015 01:24 PM
    Maybe if you just let the update process happen the way the people who actually engineered the phone and the operating system intended, instead of deciding that you know better than them, you wouldn't be having this problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    06-11-2015 03:03 PM
    Maybe if you just let the update process happen the way the people who actually engineered the phone and the operating system intended, instead of deciding that you know better than them, you wouldn't be having this problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Find out what you're talking about before you snark so strongly.

The OTA update doesn't work with a non-standard Recovery image. The factory image flash method is tried and true, I've used it many times before on three different Nexus devices.

In fact, there are tutorials on this site on how to flash the image using fastboot methods. If you want to tell Jerry or 2defmouze that they're doing it wrong, do so at your own discretion.
    06-11-2015 04:48 PM