Do your software updates take forever?

Eight Ball

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I've had my N4 since a few months after launch and regular run of the mill software updates take forever. So if I have 10 updates it might take over an hour. I'm not rooted and everything is stock. The phone is up to date and most of my apps are plain vanilla stock android apps that came with the phone. A factory reset didn't change anything. I don't have the fastest wifi, but if the phone is side by side with my Moto X (2013) and they have pretty much the same apps to update the X updates normally in 10 minutes tops (more like 5), and the N4 takes over an hour. Is my beloved N4 just starting to die on me or are everybody's N4 software updates crawling on Lollipop?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Run an internet speed test on both phones, about 5 runs on each (conditions change by the second, so you want an average) - and not at the same time. That will tell you if the N4 is appreciably slower than the Moto X. (Use the same app (and the same server if it gives you the choice) for all tests, or the results will be meaningless.

Eight Ball

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Run an internet speed test on both phones, about 5 runs on each (conditions change by the second, so you want an average) - and not at the same time. That will tell you if the N4 is appreciably slower than the Moto X. (Use the same app (and the same server if it gives you the choice) for all tests, or the results will be meaningless.

The speed tests are on WiFi. The number below are Ping (ms) then Download and Upload in Mbps. I used Ookla Speed Test. I ran 5 test each, and then a sixth one in parentheses on each just to double check I was on the same server, and then a seventh one in parentheses on the N4 to really make sure that the ping was -- yet again -- 3 ms.

It took about 3x longer for Ookla to download and install on the N4 than the Moto X, like 90 seconds versus 30 seconds. Even though I initiated an install first on the N4, and then proceeded to install on the Moto X, the Moto X finished downloading AND installing before the N4 finished ONLY downloading.

The other odd thing is the ping on the N4 is always 3 ms which leads me to believe that something not quite right on the N4 because what are the chances of getting 3 ms ping every speed test?

Nexus 4
3 ms 11.17 / 1.16
3 ms 11.58 / 1.18
3 ms 10.72 / 1.37
3 ms 11.13 / 1.26
3 ms 9.03 / 1.16
(3 ms 11.37 / 1.26)
(3 ms 10.90 / 1.28)

Moto X
8 ms 11.87 / 1.45
10 ms 11.46 / 1.49
13 ms 12.15 / 1.47
12 ms 12.08 / 1.44
9 ms 12.01 / 1.45
(11 ms 11.93 / 1.41)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Your Moto X pings, compared to mine, are very impressive. The Nexus 4 ones are indeed a little baffling.

Posted via the Android Central App

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had my N4 since a few months after launch and regular run of the mill software updates take forever. So if I have 10 updates it might take over an hour. I'm not rooted and everything is stock. The phone is up to date and most of my apps are plain vanilla stock android apps that came with the phone. A factory reset didn't change anything. I don't have the fastest wifi, but if the phone is side by side with my Moto X (2013) and they have pretty much the same apps to update the X updates normally in 10 minutes tops (more like 5), and the N4 takes over an hour. Is my beloved N4 just starting to die on me or are everybody's N4 software updates crawling on Lollipop?
Actually, updates have always been slow on all my Nexus devices (Gnex, both N7's, n4, n5, and n9) if I run more than two or three at a time. I don't have auto updates. Sometimes, apps won't even update if I try to update 4 or 5 at a time. I always thought it was just Google servers as my Wi-Fi is pretty fast. The n4 is about same age as yours. It's still working as it always has.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Eight Ball

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Actually, updates have always been slow on all my Nexus devices (Gnex, both N7's, n4, n5, and n9) if I run more than two or three at a time. I don't have auto updates. Sometimes, apps won't even update if I try to update 4 or 5 at a time. I always thought it was just Google servers as my Wi-Fi is pretty fast. The n4 is about same age as yours. It's still working as it always has.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Waiting to run 10 or 15 updates, basically stacking them and updating all at once, might be the problem. If it is just a few it seems to update normally. I use the Moto X a lot more, and keep the apps updated more frequently. (I think mispoke above when I said the Moto X and N4 side by side with the same apps to updates. There might be 4 apps to update on the Moto X and 10 on the Nexus 4). And like you alluded to, I do think if I have too many apps to update some just don't update, or take forever. Same thing might have happened on my Moto X too. Anyway, thanks for the help. I'm not going to worry about it. Phone works fine, and I'm getting ready to pass off to a youngster in the family and I think it will be fine.