Caution: Nexus 4 / QI wireless charger issue

Smegatron

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I post this to enquire whether anyone else has experienced problems with wireless charging since either the OS upgrade at 5.0 or 5.1.
I am a btg fan of wireless charging and use it to overnight recharge my phone. About a year ago I updated from a Nexus 4 to a 5 and the 5 gets a nightly recharge via a QI wireless base and a 5V / 2A adaptor. So my Nexus 4 became a spare. I have it without a sim and on flight mode with no apps running and give it the ocassional recharge. It works fine via the micro USB connector where it charges to 100% and goes happily onto trickle charge. However at one of the significant Android updates I noticed there was a big change in the battery charging. Using the QI plate it was very sensitive to being in the correct position and would not charge to 100%. So then I gave up on using wireless charging for the Nexas 4 and just used the direct micro USB port. However 2 days ago I thought I would try the QI wireless charger again to see if i could get it to fully charge the battery wirelessly. Heading off to a shower I promptly forgot that I had put it on the wireless charger base. Returning to the bedroom later that morning there was a strong pungent smell that had me searching for its source. Finding nothing amiss and being busy I figured I did not know what was causing the smell and ignored it. That night when I went to put my Nexus5 on the QI pad I saw the Nexus4 was still on charge and picked it up off the charger plate. It was showing 5% charge...not good. I then noticed the surface of the QI plate was melted and burnt and was the cause of the smell. It was very hot in one corner as was the power transformer so the failure had been catastrophic as a partial short, not a fail safe. So I was very lucky that although the case was melted through it had not set anything else on fire.

So this is the combination that failed..
Nexas4 ..no sim..aeroplane mode..no apps running..not on wifi
Android 5.1.1
Wireless Charger Model MC-02A Input 5V - 2A, Ouput 5V - 1A
Power adaptor 220v AC in 5V 2A out

That QI charger system was in daily use and worked without a problem with my Nexus5 running OS 6.0.1
The Nexus4 seems to be unaffected. It charged correctly to 100% using the above power adaptor via the micr USB port.

Anyone had a similar experience? Mike :-\

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol