Moto making Nexus 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Google real big chance to change Nexus line with Moto and Google Play Edition devices.

Google Nexus phone seem to be closely based on the OEM partners latest device. GPE takes the OEM partners latest device and adds stock android. Why does Google have to continue build there next devices off latest device their OEM partners have available?

I say if they want X OEM phone to be a the next nexus then Google should just make a GPE version. Google would then have freedom to build something completely orginal for the Nexus line and they can start with Motorola since they have power to do so.

Now see why they make nexus device on pre existing devices because fact of coming out with nexus device within a year is tough deadline. Then they switch to different oems to make a nexus which makes the deadline even harder. I hopefully they could some how have solution to rd time if they decide make nexus devices from scratch.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

A compelling argument but your forgetting one thing we root our devices and if we have said oems google play edition (gpe) we eventually get the stock builds with the custom kernels for that hardware and flash it why pay full 6-700 dollars when we can get a subsidised phone on our carriers and root then flash it if they want to disrupt this idea they would have to make another hardware variant so we can't flash the stock builds which would just **** us all off

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I meant to bold the "Next NExus will be the Nexus 4 (2013 model)"

The tablet sizing being the same model used for the phones is still your speculation, which I disagree with, unless you have a link which directly states otherwise.

Would it not be logical to speculate based off Google's history?

The most logical guess here would be that the upcoming Nexus smartphone follows the same naming system as the rest of Google's current product portfolio.

Speculating otherwise would be illogical, and there is no evidence to make that speculation.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Would it not be logical to speculate based off Google's history?

The most logical guess here would be that the upcoming Nexus smartphone follows the same naming system as the rest of Google's current product portfolio.

Speculating otherwise would be illogical, and there is no evidence to make that speculation.

Besides the 3 previous phones that don't follow that theory at all.

Pointless to keep going back and forth at this point though.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Besides the 3 previous phones that don't follow that theory at all.

Pointless to keep going back and forth at this point though.

The three previous phones only reinforce that it will be called the Nexus 4 and not Nexus 5. Google clearly moved away from any sort of sequential naming scheme with the most recent generation, and the new Nexus 7 also supports that Google will be sticking with their current names for future handsets.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
The three previous phones only reinforce that it will be called the Nexus 4 and not Nexus 5. Google clearly moved away from any sort of sequential naming scheme with the most recent generation, and the new Nexus 7 also supports that Google will be sticking with their current names for future handsets.

Kind of like apple with the i pad and ip4 ip 4s blah blah blah

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Kind of like apple with the i pad and ip4 ip 4s blah blah blah

Apple is actually moving to the same model. The most recent iPad was just the new iPad with retina display, which replaced the iPad with retina display, which replaced the iPad 2.

Once you start getting into the higher numbers, the sequential scheme just doesn't make any sense.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Basically, this will all come down to the screen size of the next Nexus phone. If they go giant, it'll probably be called Nexus 5 (or 6). If they're reasonable, it'll be called Nexus 4.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Basically, this will all come down to the screen size of the next Nexus phone. If they go giant, it'll probably be called Nexus 5 (or 6). If they're reasonable, it'll be called Nexus 4.

This seems the most logical. Kind of like BMW models 1,3,5,7 roughly relate to size but then they'll throw in a few miscellaneous ones like a BMW M, Z or 6 series that aren't related to size. Kind of like what Google did with the Nexus Q. Fun to speculate like Android desert names, we'll only know when it's announced.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This seems the most logical. Kind of like BMW models 1,3,5,7 roughly relate to size but then they'll throw in a few miscellaneous ones like a BMW M, Z or 6 series that aren't related to size. Kind of like what Google did with the Nexus Q. Fun to speculate like Android desert names, we'll only know when it's announced.

I like to think the Q was named because of the shape - the sphere is the O and it's base is the \. That's just me though. lol.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

All BMW's model names do correspond to size. The 6 is based off the 5, but is certainly not a 7, therefore is was assigned 6. Same goes for the 4 (being a stretched 3 but smaller than a 5). "M" merely designates the high end performance model, i.e. M3, M5, etc. "Z" models are BMW's roadster variants (Z3, Z4).

BMW is quite strict with their naming structures, but then they would be because German lol.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
All BMW's model names do correspond to size. The 6 is based off the 5, but is certainly not a 7, therefore is was assigned 6. Same goes for the 4 (being a stretched 3 but smaller than a 5). "M" merely designates the high end performance model, i.e. M3, M5, etc. "Z" models are BMW's roadster variants (Z3, Z4).

BMW is quite strict with their naming structures, but then they would be because German lol.

Yes, I guess you're right. I always thought the 6 was a little smaller than the 5 because I usually see 2 door 6's around whereas 5's are usually 4 door sedans and they look a little smaller.

But yes perhaps Google is going to follow the BMW model of naming phones instead of just each year increasing the number of subsequent generations.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

And how exactly do you know Google won't follow Apple's path, keeping the same name for new generations of tablets (The new iPad, in Google's case the new Nexus 7) and adding new numbers for new generations of tablets (iPhone 5, in Google's case the Nexus 5)?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
And how exactly do you know Google won't follow Apple's path, keeping the same name for new generations of tablets (The new iPad, in Google's case the new Nexus 7) and adding new numbers for new generations of tablets (iPhone 5, in Google's case the Nexus 5)?

Because that wouldn't make any sense. Apple has distinct names for its products, while the Nexii all share the Nexus moniker. The ascending numeric designation would not work for the Nexus devices unless they applied it to ALL of them. (And, since the new Nexus 7 retained its moniker for the new generation, we know that wont be happening) As others have said, why would google introduce an ascending moniker to the Nexus 4 when they know it will eventually have to be renamed because it would overlap with the Nexus 7? It's common sense.

cbatiste1993

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Because that wouldn't make any sense. Apple has distinct names for its products, while the Nexii all share the Nexus moniker. The ascending numeric designation would not work for the Nexus devices unless they applied it to ALL of them. (And, since the new Nexus 7 retained its moniker for the new generation, we know that wont be happening) As others have said, why would google introduce an ascending moniker to the Nexus 4 when they know it will eventually have to be renamed because it would overlap with the Nexus 7? It's common sense.

Finally, someone got it right! I've been saying this all along

Sent from my HTC One XL using AC Forums mobile app

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I guess he thinks he works for Google and knows the ins and outs. Hell, I wish I can work for Google too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci