Nexus coming to Verizon?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
It already has been pointed out that phone doesn't support vzw lte bands. So I say no

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
So it has a VZW lte band that I believe no VZW phones support. It also has no VZW CDMA radio so unless it's a volte phone which is at least 6months away. Don't hope for it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

They could be releasing volte devices early to gain hype for it. Much like sprint did with their original LTE device lineup.

And there were some pretty well founded rumors that once volte was rolled out enough, Verizon would stop producing CDMA phones altogether, and only allow 4g phones on their network. A move that could only benefit them and their consumers. Verizon sees decreased maintenance for not having to maintain a 3g network, and the consumer sees increased battery life due to no CDMA radio.

To add to that, Verizon does have the largest 4g network out of every carrier, so the towers are already in place for volte. Its just a matter of upgrading their hardware to be volte compatible. Which they have to do tower by tower like sprint is with network vision.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Really you think on a nexus device? More like some HTC or Samsung device. Just like the thunderbolt with VZW first
Lte device.
They could be releasing volte devices early to gain hype for it. Much like sprint did with their original LTE device lineup.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The Verge claimed that the Nexus submitted the to FCC today does have Verizon LTE bands.

Photos of fully assembled LG Nexus 5 revealed in regulatory filing | The Verge

I believe the Verge is mistaken. The FCC filing that these new photos appear under is for the VS980, which is the Verizon variant of the LG G2 I believe and which contains files that mention the correct bands for Verizon's LTE network (band 13 in particular). The problem is if you look closely at the label on the new photos with the back plate, it is actually labeled D820...which was the FCC filing we see here.
qozQgZD.jpg

The D820 filing makes no mention for the correct LTE bands (Band 13) that the majority of Verizon's LTE network relies on. So we have three possibilities here:
  1. The FCC screwed up and placed the new photos under the wrong filing.
  2. Someone at LG screwed up by requesting the D820 device be tested as VS980.
  3. They are re-designating the VS980 model number to a Verizon variant of the new Nexus.

I personally think this being a mistake is a stronger possibility than the last option. As much as I would love have to have another Nexus on Verizon, I remain cynical that it'll happen. But man how great would it be (even if they are a little slower on the updates).

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The Verge claimed that the Nexus submitted the to FCC today does have Verizon LTE bands.

Photos of fully assembled LG Nexus 5 revealed in regulatory filing | The Verge
For clarification, here is the verbatim update:
Update: Leaks so far suggest there will be at least two different Nexus 5 models. The model leaked last week (called LG-D820) had wireless radios that could support AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile LTE. The Nexus 5 photos above are part of a separate, updated filing for the LG G2 (LG-VS980), which mention support for LTE band 13, which is used by Verizon in the US. If the Nexus 5 photos weren't mistakenly included as part of the G2's older filing, the new Google device would appear to be a largely modified version of the G2. For now, it isn't clear what Google and LG's plans are for this new Nexus device, but these filings suggest that there is some possibility that all four carriers could get the smartphone. (Note: This update has been modified from its original version to clarify the relation between the "LG-D820" and the "LG-VS980.")

I will believe it when i see it, but i really really want this to be true. If they make a nexus for verizon and it does not have any serious issues, i will buy it no questions asked. Even if it has a "normal" retail price instead of the Google "give it away" price.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I will believe it when i see it, but i really really want this to be true. If they make a nexus for verizon and it does not have any serious issues, i will buy it no questions asked. Even if it has a "normal" retail price instead of the Google "give it away" price.

I am definitely in your boat here. This will be my next device, regardless, if Verizon has it.

Mully60

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
So lets just say it does come to Verizon. How long after Google releases an update will it take for a Nexus phone on Verizon to receive it?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
So lets just say it does come to Verizon. How long after Google releases an update will it take for a Nexus phone on Verizon to receive it?

Who knows. Could be a while. Unlock the bootloader and you can get it the same week from the dev community more than likely.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered the g2 but want another nexus for Verizon. It doesn't come in till next week so hopefully more info is leaked about which carriers are getting it. Everything I am reading is confusing. Some say yes and some say no.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered the g2 but want another nexus for Verizon. It doesn't come in till next week so hopefully more info is leaked about which carriers are getting it. Everything I am reading is confusing. Some say yes and some say no.

Carrier availability will be a question mark even after release more than likely. I mean look at how long it for us to get an official word on the HTC one come to Verizon. It's a pretty terrible game we play here in the USA.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah sucks pretty bad especially being on Verizon when it comes to releases. I will see what the next few days bring.

dart86

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
For me, the whole point of having a Nexus device on Verizon is I don't have to wait for Verizon to get around to releasing the update I just have to pick a rom to install. Not sure I could support another HTC device (non-Nexus) after the Thunderbolt debacle. If all you want is the straight android experience go MotoX. My thoughts are if Verizon ever gets another Nexus it will be a Moto based on their lengthy relationship.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could find out for sure if Verizon is getting this device or not. My lg g2 just came in the mail today but don't want to activate it and get everything setup if I am going to return it for the nexus 5. I am hoping some info comes out fast.

Sent from my A500 using AC Forums mobile app

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I initially was going to get the Moto X on Verizon for sure, but with the hope that this new Nexus just might come to Verizon, I can hold out a few months longer for an official announcement.

rayden8

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I initially was going to get the Moto X on Verizon for sure, but with the hope that this new Nexus just might come to Verizon, I can hold out a few months longer for an official announcement.

I'm trying to hold out as well, and I'm tempted with the Moto X, especially with the new camera updates that have started coming out. However, even if I knew for sure that Verizon wasn't getting the Nexus, holding out may still be wise, since the Moto X may drop in price this Quarter, and Verizon may also get a 32 GB with Motomaker option. If the Developer's Edition was available with a contract price, I may have already ordered it.

Still holding hope for a surprise chance of a Verizon Nexus. Who knows? Maybe even once the Nexus is released, it isn't made as well as the Moto X, or even the G2. This is possible

Last edited:

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Never say never so I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see it in VZ. We all know that the relationship between Google and VZ had issues because of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus launch. The problem with the VZ GN was as much Googles as VZ's. It never should have been exclusive to VZ. When it came out as an unlocked GSM phone it did much better, even though it was released 6 months after the VZ launch. VZ (or any of the other carriers) is not going to push a low margin phone they can't leverage to bring in additional revenue, i.e. carrier bloatware. At best it will be a secondary product for any of the carriers. Google struck gold when they sold the N4 at launch as an unlocked GSM phone at a very attractive price. The demand overwhelmed them because their prior Nexus marketing strategy was very underwhelming.

So I anticipate the same launch strategy for the N5 and a subsequent release to some carriers. VZ has the largest customer base so ignoring them is not the optimal strategy. A limited release through VZ would make the VZ enthusiasts happy and be additional revenue to Google.