What do you think of the Nexus 5 Compromises?

DrewDT

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I for one am a bit disappointed when I read the compromises Google is making to keep the price of the Nexus 5 down. 8 mp camera vs the 13 mp camera on the LG G2 this phone is supposed to be based upon. Also, the battery will be 2300 mah sealed! I was ready to leave Verizon for this device but I may have to rethink things. I wish Google would have a lite version of the Nexus 5 and one without glaring compromises.
Are any of these or other things deal-breakers to you?
More Nexus 5 details emerge, camera takes one for the team again | Android | Geek.com

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think we've learned that more mp doesn't necessarily reflect quality, especially in camera phones. Example, 10 mp on the moto x prior to the software update vs 4 on the HTC one vs 8 on the iPhone 5. In that case it was clearly 8 > 4 > 10, with most of the differences being entirely reliant on software.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I for one am a bit disappointed when I read the compromises Google is making to keep the price of the Nexus 5 down. 8 mp camera vs the 13 mp camera on the LG G2 this phone is supposed to be based upon. Also, the battery will be 2300 mah sealed! I was ready to leave Verizon for this device but I may have to rethink things. I wish Google would have a lite version of the Nexus 5 and one without glaring compromises.
More Nexus 5 details emerge, camera takes one for the team again | Android | Geek.com

These are not deal breakers......
The Nexus 4 had a smaller battery, Yet I got a full day use out of it... And thats all I require.
Plus Nexus software doesnt compare to any others. Im sure the software will weigh-out the camera.
(if you want a good camera.... go buy an actual camera)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Maybe you should hold out for an LG G2 GPe.

DrewDT

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
This is true and I am not necessarily swayed too much about the camera, but it gives me some pause to wait a while to see reviews on it's performance. The battery is a bigger cause for concern to me, being sealed and with reduced capacity.

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd definitely be in favor of seeing some photos before making any judgments about the camera. Megapixel math: 8 (iphone) > 13 (S4) > 4 (One) > 10 (moto x) > 8 (Nexus) results in 8 being greater than 8 by a LONG ways.

As for the battery, the Nexus has a slightly smaller screen (perhaps some power savings), but most importantly it has MUCH cleaner software and a newer version of Android. Battery life is another thing that seems unrelated (past a certain obvious point) with battery size, without taking into consideration what is being powered, how often, etc. On this issue too, I think software will trump numbers on paper and deserve real world reviews rather than an immediate write off.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
And don't forget the s800 to b underclocked to 1.9ghz

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

DrewDT

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Good points made on battery life on pure Android I am looking forward to seeing real world results.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I think we've learned that more mp doesn't necessarily reflect quality, especially in camera phones. Example, 10 mp on the moto x prior to the software update vs 4 on the HTC one vs 8 on the iPhone 5. In that case it was clearly 8 > 4 > 10, with most of the differences being entirely reliant on software.

The issue is that Google is downgrading to save costs. It's not likely that they ditch a13mp camera in favor of a BETTER 8mp one

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd definitely be in favor of seeing some photos before making any judgments about the camera. Megapixel math: 8 (iphone) > 13 (S4) > 4 (One) > 10 (moto x) > 8 (Nexus) results in 8 being greater than 8 by a LONG ways.

As for the battery, the Nexus has a slightly smaller screen (perhaps some power savings), but most importantly it has MUCH cleaner software and a newer version of Android. Battery life is another thing that seems unrelated (past a certain obvious point) with battery size, without taking into consideration what is being powered, how often, etc. On this issue too, I think software will trump numbers on paper and deserve real world reviews rather than an immediate write off.

Couldnt agree more. This will be an amazing phone regardless of specs on paper. Just like the Moto X who people seem to love. Its the experience that Google is slowly perfecting. Plus even the moto X has amazing battery life with a 2200 mAh battery. I have seen it first hand.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The battery size is a big compromise for me. The Nexus running 800 underclocked with stock android doesn't seem to be enough to great battery life out 2300. I am sure Nexus 5 will be better than it's predecessors but don't see it much better than the average.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Couldnt agree more. This will be an amazing phone regardless of specs on paper. Just like the Moto X who people seem to love. Its the experience that Google is slowly perfecting. Plus even the moto X has amazing battery life with a 2200 mAh battery. I have seen it first hand.

Mix battery life on the moto x
Two different processors hard to say one will reflect the other.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Mix battery life on the moto x
Two different processors hard to say one will reflect the other.

I'd agree. My x is a very different animal than anything I've had before. While I believe Google will have some major takeaways from the x, I'm not expecting a direct convergence, but a gradual process of similar evolution.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd agree. My x is a very different animal than anything I've had before. While I believe Google will have some major takeaways from the x, I'm not expecting a direct convergence, but a gradual process of similar evolution.

We can only hope.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

DrewDT

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I've been hoping for a Nexus that takes a departure from competing by finding ways to keep the price relatively cheap.
I'd like to see a comparably priced Nexus to phones like the g4 and iPhone 5s that would really wow us not just by being a good bang for the buck option, but by giving us Google's vision of what the Android experience can really be in a no holds barred phone.
I'm sure this phone will have its merits, especially at the price point it will be offered. I will take my time in deciding whether or not to get it by reading the reviews from early adopters.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I've been hoping for a Nexus that takes a departure from competing by finding ways to keep the price relatively cheap.
I'd like to see a comparably priced Nexus to phones like the g4 and iPhone 5s that would really wow us not just by being a good bang for the buck option, but by giving us Google's vision of what the Android experience can really be in a no holds barred phone.
I'm sure this phone will have its merits, especially at the price point it will be offered. I will take my time in deciding whether or not to get it by reading the reviews from early adopters.

Well, every nexus to date has been the top device in its niche market on release date, and obviously the best value, but they don't tend to blow the market away on the spec sheet, but rather just match and one up the competition. From what we have leaked so far, it looks like they'll repeat that patten this time as well.

A nexus without carrier promotion, distribution and with a higher price tag severely limits the possible sales and makes it out of reach of some of the intended developer and tinkerer markets. Sales on such a device would likely be similar to the GPe devices.

As is, we're still getting a device that costs as much to make and sell as the other flagships, we just have a weird price because Google is eating the subsidy and no carriers are cut in off the top.

DrewDT

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
NothingisTrue, thank you for your insightful answers. I know it's premature to make any judgements prior to the device hitting the market. I just want the Nexus platform to be the standard which every other phone with their version of the Android OS to be compared to.
I for one only upgrade phones every two years, so the sealed battery thing does concern me. My last two phones (Motorola Bionic, BlackBerry Tour), developed issues that were resolved with a new battery.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Everyone forgets that the nexus has a history of being a dev phone. In other words, it is meant to be cheap hardware for devs. Not for general consumers to have a better than everything else phone. If the compromises dont appeal to you, then you are not the target audiance and should move on.

Plus everyone would just complain about the price if it were better than everything else and not any cheaper. Everyone seems to have this attitude that Google has to give all their stuff away for some reason.

I would personally love a nexus devise that makes no compromises and has a premium price tag. Thus far, Google has shown no signs of doing this. I guess GPe phones are supposed to fill in this gap.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Everyone forgets that the nexus has a history of being a dev phone. In other words, it is meant to be cheap hardware for devs

I think this was more true for the first two Nexus phones. Starting with the GNex there was a concerted effort to bring this to the masses, and the N4 was certainly a phone meant for more than developers. Now any Nexus device will be dev friendly because of unadulterated Android OS. But this is first and foremost a value phone with top (but not quite cutting edge) hardware, sim unlocked, at an affordable price.