Expected lifespan for 2300mAh battery?

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
How can I estimate the expected lifespan-hours for a 2300mAh battery in the 16 GB Nexus 5? I'm sure there is a broad projected range, since actual life probably vaires quite a bit from one to another. I expect to use the phone for a few hours each day, more wifi/data than calls. Thanks.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
No one has any idea. Even after the specs are officially announced, you cannot tell battery life by numbers. It will take a few weeks after release and the devise in the hands of average consumers before we have any general idea. Even then, millage may vary.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
No one knows the battery life to be honest.

The only other phone that I know of that has a 2300mAh battery is the HTC One which I currently own. However the Nexus 5 is supposed to have a larger screen than the HTC One (5" vs 4.7") so I'm expecting the Nexus 5 to have worse battery life than my One.

People will come in and say 'blah blah, 4.4 will have battery optimisations, blah blah the Snapdragon 800 is more battery efficient' etc, but nothing is confirmed and all that is really just wishful thinking. If 4.4 is more power efficient, cool. If the S800 is more power efficient, cool. But last time I checked, the thing that used the overwhelming amount of battery was the screen.

So a 5" screen with 2300mAh battery doesn't sound so great. I like the battery life of the HTC One, but wouldn't want to have less.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I too am somewhat concerned about battery life but I am not going to complain until we actually see a phone released with actual specs (not rumors) and see some reviews (though for the first time in my life I don't think I'll wait on reviews for this one; I really want this phone).

This rumor might brighten your hopes though. Rumors are rumors are just rumors. I certainly hope this one is true though:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57606477-94/nexus-5-16gb-version-reportedly-will-sell-for-$299/?ttag=fbwp

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
There's s million battery threads in the N4 sections. Figure the N5 to have a slightly bigger screen but a slightly bigger battery, the battery life should be similar.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

The only other phone that I know of that has a 2300mAh battery is the HTC One which I currently own. However the Nexus 5 is supposed to have a larger screen than the HTC One (5" vs 4.7") so I'm expecting the Nexus 5 to have worse battery life than my One.

People will come in and say 'blah blah, 4.4 will have battery optimisations, blah blah the Snapdragon 800 is more battery efficient' etc, but nothing is confirmed and all that is really just wishful thinking. If 4.4 is more power efficient, cool. If the S800 is more power efficient, cool. But last time I checked, the thing that used the overwhelming amount of battery was the screen.

So a 5" screen with 2300mAh battery doesn't sound so great. I like the battery life of the HTC One, but wouldn't want to have less.

You can't do anything about the screen..... but that horrible wake locks that drain your battery to zero in hours should be brought under control.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

You can blah blah all you want on the S800 being very efficient however it is a fact.

That said I would think it should be on par battery wise to the One given the details we know....however we are all just guessing it could last 3 hours who knows.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I can say about the battery and phone in general is this: The N4 was an awesome amazing phone and is still loved by many despite having a questionable battery and camera. The N5 will be at least on par for battery life and probably have a better camera. This phone will sell like hotcakes and be loved by many.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
How can I estimate the expected lifespan-hours for a 2300mAh battery in the 16 GB Nexus 5? I'm sure there is a broad projected range, since actual life probably vaires quite a bit from one to another. I expect to use the phone for a few hours each day, more wifi/data than calls. Thanks.

If the Nexus 5 service manual details with the 2300mAh battery are correct, the Nexus 5 will offer up to 690 minutes talk time on CDMA networks, 405 mins on GSM, 530 mins on WCDMA and 230 minutes on LTE.

Two Different Battery Packs Possibly Heading for the Nexus 5 Leak Out | Androidheadlines.com

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they created a phone w/ the idea of "let's only give people 12 hours of battery life". If you get 24 out of it, you should be happy.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Just about every component in the leaked Nexus 5 specs is more power efficent, despite being more powerful, than what's in your HTC One. That is the way of technology...especially electronics. Nothing is confirmed, of course, but I will bet the farm it will crush the battery life you get on a non GE HTC One. Do to the epic dev community supporting Nexus devices, I can easily get 4-5 hours SOT on my N4 with a 2100mah battery. Over 6 hours if I use WiFi, turn things off (sycing), and undervolting. With all components, including the bigger screen being more efficient than what in my N4, and the optimizations that will certainly come with KitKat I'll be surprised if the N5 doesn't do 4-5 hours SOT out of the box. Vanilla Android w/ 2300mah will probably best LG's skinned Android w/ 3000mah. Not that I'd complain if it had a bigger battery, but it doesn't need it.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I can easily get 4-5 hours SOT on my N4 with a 2100mah battery. Over 6 hours if I use WiFi, turn things off (sycing), and undervolting. With all components, including the bigger screen being more efficient than what in my N4, and the optimizations that will certainly come with KitKat I'll be surprised if the N5 doesn't do 4-5 hours SOT out of the box.
...OR, put a decent sized battery in the thing and I will get that same battery life without having to screw with CPU voltages and turn off features that I *like* such as sync. To each his own. If adding a mm of thickness will give me great battery life without sacrificing features give me the frikken bigger battery.

When was the last time you had a phone and said "man, I really have no need for a bigger battery. This battery is completely adequate." With smartphones it is alway "well.. I guess it is good enough.. If I turn off wifi and turn off LTE and undervolt this and disable that and dont use it too much and stand on one leg it gets me through the work day." Whats the point of buying a phone with all these features if you have to turn everything off?

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
...OR, put a decent sized battery in the thing and I will get that same battery life without having to screw with CPU voltages and turn off features that I *like* such as sync. To each his own. If adding a mm of thickness will give me great battery life without sacrificing features give me the frikken bigger battery.

When was the last time you had a phone and said "man, I really have no need for a bigger battery. This battery is completely adequate." With smartphones it is alway "well.. I guess it is good enough.. If I turn off wifi and turn off LTE and undervolt this and disable that and dont use it too much and stand on one leg it gets me through the work day." Whats the point of buying a phone with all these features if you have to turn everything off?

The Nexus 4 that's sitting here in my office. Also, the GN2 I had for a bit. I said I get 4-5 hours EASILY syncing everything possible, auto brightness on and ramped up via my rom, and no wifi ALL LTE data. If I want to tinker, which I love to do and is what I and MOST nexus owners enjoy doing with their devices (said every poll ever to ask the question stock vs custom on Nexus devices...by a lot), I can get over 6 hours SOT...days with minimal usage. I have a 5000mah portable charger I bought for $10 that's not much bigger than a pack of gum for camping, long business trips (plane or train...no need in cars), or any other time I feel I may not see an outlet for 2+ days. So again, I would love to have a bigger battery just to have it. I don't need it and I sure as hell don't want to pay for it...as I don't need it. You battery "freaks" are WAY in the minority. If Google put a 1000mah battery and sold it for $200 it would still sell out in minutes. Same reason the 8GB version was always sold out well before the 16GB. Google makes it's money off of its services...aka every single Android device in exisitance. It doesn't want or need to sell tens of millions of Nexus devices at a few bucks over cost. It's not a non-profit company and could easily sell them for much more and still sell the same quantity. It makes them with the best of hardware components that matter to developers (aka not the f*cking camera, storage, or battery), to get the "best" of Android...aka new software... in the hands of as many developers as possible. Many devs have a Nexus as AOSP reference and then a few big selling OEM devices.That is why they are sold so cheaply...and that Google seems to care more about the general population than most for profit organizations.

Last edited:

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm confident the 2300mAh battery will hold a charge long enough for my needs, but what about battery "end-of-life"? If I end up keeping thie N5 for a while, how long would you guess before I'm faced with opening it up for a battery or replacing the whole thing? Is a new battery even an option for this "non-removable"?

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I can easily get 4-5 hours SOT on my N4 with a 2100mah battery. Over 6 hours if I use WiFi, turn things off (sycing), and undervolting.

The Nexus 4 that's sitting here in my office. Also, the GN2 I had for a bit. I said I get 4-5 hours EASILY syncing everything possible, auto brightness on and ramped up via my rom, and no wifi ALL LTE data.I can get over 6 hours SOT...days with minimal usage.

Pics or it didn't happen

Tech First

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm confident the 2300mAh battery will hold a charge long enough for my needs, but what about battery "end-of-life"? If I end up keeping thie N5 for a while, how long would you guess before I'm faced with opening it up for a battery or replacing the whole thing? Is a new battery even an option for this "non-removable"?

I'm guessing its similar to the Nexus 4, maybe even a little easier. You can look up guides on youtube for replacing the N4 battery if you want an idea for how hard it is.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 4 that's sitting here in my office. Also, the GN2 I had for a bit. I said I get 4-5 hours EASILY syncing everything possible, auto brightness on and ramped up via my rom, and no wifi ALL LTE data. If I want to tinker, which I love to do and is what I and MOST nexus owners enjoy doing with their devices (said every poll ever to ask the question stock vs custom on Nexus devices...by a lot), I can get over 6 hours SOT...days with minimal usage. I have a 5000mah portable charger I bought for $10 that's not much bigger than a pack of gum for camping, long business trips (plane or train...no need in cars), or any other time I feel I may not see an outlet for 2+ days. So again, I would love to have a bigger battery just to have it. I don't need it and I sure as hell don't want to pay for it...as I don't need it. You battery "freaks" are WAY in the minority. If Google put a 1000mah battery and sold it for $200 it would still sell out in minutes. Same reason the 8GB version was always sold out well before the 16GB. Google makes it's money off of its services...aka every single Android device in exisitance. It doesn't want or need to sell tens of millions of Nexus devices at a few bucks over cost. It's not a non-profit company and could easily sell them for much more and still sell the same quantity. It makes them with the best of hardware components that matter to developers (aka not the f*cking camera, storage, or battery), to get the "best" of Android...aka new software... in the hands of as many developers as possible. Many devs have a Nexus as AOSP reference and then a few big selling OEM devices.That is why they are sold so cheaply...and that Google seems to care more about the general population than most for profit organizations.
I love to tinker just as much as the next nexus owner. There is a difference, however, in tinkering for the fun and tinkering because your device is inadequate out of the box. Also the notion that the Nexus products are only for devs is false. If google only wanted devs buying it they would not have TV commercials advertising the Nexus. So stop using the fact that it is a Nexus as a reason for not putting in features people want. The Nexus gives google the most name visibility out of all the Android end products and they want *both* consumers and devs to buy it and like it. If Google put a 1000mah battery people would buy it and would be pissed and would think twice about buying a google/android product again. Not every nexus customer is a dev or even an androidcentral regular. To those other customers the nexus is a product like any other. Google wants those customers to be happy too. And the reason they are sold so cheaply is a) because they are not carrier subsidized so google needs to make it a more appealing option (since like I said, they actually do want people to buy it) and b.) to put a device in more people's hands as a vehicle for the real revenue generator: ads.

I am glad the battery life is good for you. Go pat yourself on the back. The fact that other people want a little more doesn't make them "freaks." I dont get why so many people have the mentality that if it is good enough for me everyone else should be happy too.

Last edited:

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Pics or it didn't happen

No signal in a concrete bunker...

JonK...agree with some of your points. Otherwise, agree to disagree :p The price has nothing to do with other devices having subsidies. You pay the full price of a subsidized price over a 24 month contract, and then some. We can all agree you get a lot for a little buying a Nexus.

snap1.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star