Announcement/Launch dates

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

Sorry to create a thread about this, as I know it is all speculation, but this is the first time I have been gung-ho about a Nexus and eagerly waiting for it to announce/release. That said, is this typical to Nexus launches? (previously I haven't ever paid much attention because I've always had a Samsung/HTC device).

By typical, what I mean has Google typically announced the phone shortly before the launch or is it something that is usually announced well ahead of the actual launch date?

Thanks!

boparunsxc

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
My experience with most Nexus devices has been like this; small, timely leaks before the announcement and then they go on sale a week or two later.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, Nexus devices are usually on sale shortly after announcement. Now, being able to purchase a Nexus device, through the Play Store, has been problematic in the past. We'll see how things go this time around if the device hits the Play Store.

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Awesome thanks guys. Per the suggestion (this may have been stupid) of a blog I read a while back I did a "dry" run in the play-store to ensure my address and payment info was up to date. That way when it does drop I can literally order it in a few clicks and hopefully avoid any headaches.

Really looking forward to this device and dumping Sprint and their krap service and also going off contract... don't want to FEED the machine of these carriers who are usually doing things that are negative to the consumer.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Temper your enthusiasm.
I started following the Galaxy Nexus hype train in September of that year and it wasn't available until the end of December...
November 2011 was not a fun month for Nexus enthusiasts. Most of December was even worse.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Temper your enthusiasm.
I started following the Galaxy Nexus hype train in September of that year and it wasn't available until the end of December...
November 2011 was not a fun month for Nexus enthusiasts. Most of December was even worse.
Yeah but part of that was because verizon was trying to figure out how to screw the nexus up. Hopefully with them out of the picture it wont be so bad.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah but part of that was because verizon was trying to figure out how to screw the nexus up. Hopefully with them out of the picture it wont be so bad.

THIS!

And the Gn was not sold on the play store. In fact I think the play store phone sale model is a direct result and response to the snafu caused by Verizon.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I disagree. I know it's not a popular viewpoint, but the CDMA Gnex is a pretty flawed Nexus in terms of battery use, and especially radios when it first came out. I honestly don't think Verizon had the device to sell. I think they were desperately trying to fix a device they thought would be ready based on the easier to build GSM version. There were a lot of conspiracy theories, to dispute my guess, but none of them explain why a company trying to make money would pay to ship a half million phones and not put them out for sale during holiday buying.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I disagree. I know it's not a popular viewpoint, but the CDMA Gnex is a pretty flawed Nexus in terms of battery use, and especially radios when it first came out. I honestly don't think Verizon had the device to sell. I think they were desperately trying to fix a device they thought would be ready based on the easier to build GSM version. There were a lot of conspiracy theories, to dispute my guess, but none of them explain why a company trying to make money would pay to ship a half million phones and not put them out for sale during holiday buying.
Well actually I do agree with you here. I dont think it was a big VZW conspiracy but I do think maybe a little bit of the delay had to do with a fight over who gets control of software updates (a fight which VZW won). But I think you are right, the larger issue was just technical problems with the device. It still had LTE issues after release that were finally fixed with a ROM update months later. I was being a little facetious with my earlier post.

Mike Gonzales

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so we can reasonably hope for the N5's to go on sale within a couple of weeks? I know no one really knows, but some of you have some great experience with Google and their procedures. I've been impatiently waiting for the supposed announcement on the 15th. But, when can I actually get one in my hands???

My next question would be, anyone have a line on Tmobile offering the N5 right away?

Or, will they pull a Moto X on me? Yeah, I know, tmo customers can order direct from Motorola. But, I'm lean right now after just closing on a house, need to work through an In Store purchase.

Yeah, I'm in a hurry, Lost my phone and haven't had it for almost a week now. I'm a little upset that I might have to go with my third choice, LG G2.

thanks for any info!

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
From following past history with Google's previous Nexus launches preorder can be as soon as day one. Nexus devices for purchase can start from couple days to a couple of weeks. Then actually having the device in hand can be within the week purchase to a month.(Depending when device the actually released for shipping)

The Moto X is Motorola and far availablity of moto x on tmw is between Motorola and TMW. Google owns Motorola but Motorola is still running themselves.

I am pretty confident that Nexus 5 will be available through T-Mobile because T-Mobile offered Nexus 4 in fashion Google wanted.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

skippyrulzzz

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I feel like the folks expecting an announcement today or tomorrow are setting themselves up for heartbreak. If we look at last year for a comparison, the "Playground" event was announced for 10/29, when invites arrived on 10/17. It was canceled ten days later on 10/27 due to Hurricane Sandy. Keep in mind, this was supposed to be an EVENT!, not just a press release. They only did a "soft" announcement (press releases and videos) because of Sandy.

The chances of them doing a soft launch like that again are slim to none, I think, along with the chances of them saying "There's a press conference tomorrow!". They want to give all the tech sites, news outlets, etc time to arrange to get to the event, hence the nearly two weeks' notice for last year's event.

Just my opinions, of course... :D

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Channeling my inner googliness, I wouldn't be surprised if it were announced tomorrow via press release or whether they instead send out invites to a huge shebang for the following week.

johnp888

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I hope we hear something soon, rumors/leaks are running rampant about nexus 5 and kitkat. Can't wait! Hope it's tomorrow

Posted via Android Central App

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
you would think given the cross promotion with "Kit Kat" candy that they would launch the new phone and OS a couple of weeks prior to Halloween.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Have a hard time believing they will announce tomorrow. Just seems weird without any warning or hint. Maybe I'm wrong

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2