Poll: 16GB vs 32GB Edition

16GB or 32GB: Which and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
As the title mentions, are you more likely to buy the 16GB or 32GB version? For purposes of this poll, let's assume that the only difference in the phones themselves would be the actual storage.

I've historically been a proponent of getting the largest (or certainly not smallest) available size. My 2012 N7 was the 16GB, my N4 16GB, and my new 2013 N7 32GB. I've done this because I was worried about the smaller size being insufficient for growth of the OS and a modest amount of installed apps. That was certainly true for the 2012 N7, where the 8GB version sacrificed a fairly large % of its storage to the OS.

Now, though, I'm wondering if 16GB might actually be enough for a reasonable lifespan of a current device. I currently have most of a season of Dexter, a couple of movies, a couple of games, and a reasonable variety of apps on my N4 and, while I could certainly fill out more space, don't feel likely to run through all of that before I'd have an opportunity to shuffle content. And, of course, any money saved by not opting the larger capacity model can be seen as a 'deposit' of sorts saved towards the next upgrade.

What are your thoughts? We don't have internal memory cards, and the 'cloud' is limited in a number of ways - how much storage is actually enough for a device you'll keep for probably only 1-2 years?

gumpty

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I will be going for the 32gb version. My two year old Galaxy Nexus has 16gb and, well, progress is progress. TBH I'd have thought that 32gb would be the minimum on a phone by now, but the shift to the cloud has put a dent in that. Unfortunately we are still in the phase of companies forcing cloud based solutions upon us (hello, Google) while the data transmission solutions are not yet pervasive enough to make it a seamless experience. I live in London and there are still gaps in HSDPA signal big enough to **** on your Spotify or Google Music grove. Not to mention when you get on the underground.

tl:dr
I'm getting the 32gb because I want to store a good selection of music on it.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
32 GB for me. My current phone has 16 GB internal, 32 GB external. I'll run leaner when I transition to the N5.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm still debating. $400 is more than i anticipated paying. I currently have a 16GB nexus 7 with over 1GB left...and that is with some rather large (over 1GB) games and 4 HD movies on it....both of which i would never put on my phone.
I am a fairly light app user, just a few simple games on my phone, major streaming music user, and i will be using drive to backup my pictures to the cloud. so I would be OK with my 16GB. even my 32GB G-nex is only using about 15GB, and that is with 2 backups on it and over 4000 pics that i never backed up.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm still debating. $400 is more than i anticipated paying. I currently have a 16GB nexus 7 with over 1GB left...and that is with some rather large (over 1GB) games and 4 HD movies on it....both of which i would never put on my phone.
I am a fairly light app user, just a few simple games on my phone, major streaming music user, and i will be using drive to backup my pictures to the cloud. so I would be OK with my 16GB. even my 32GB G-nex is only using about 15GB, and that is with 2 backups on it and over 4000 pics that i never backed up.

Spoiled by Nexus 4 pricing! :D

a2Squard

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
16 is all I really need, but I'll be happy to pay more for 32 and would have done it for the 4 had they made that option available

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I am getting the 16. I currently have a 8gb nexus 4 and it has gotten a little sticky lately with all my podcasts and such. I won't have any problems with the 16gb.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I'd be good with 16 gigs. I currently have everything I carry on my 16gb moto x and still have aground 7gb free.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

4ringsa6

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I have 9gb left on my 16gb n4. Only reason I may consider 32 is if it has a bigger battery.

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
For me, 16GB works. I'll toss whatever shouldn't stay on the device (excessive photos/files) and keep everything else sync'd to the cloud.

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
When I bought my N7 I knew all along I wanted 32gb. Without an SD card I wanted as much internal storage as possible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I will only be getting the larger version if it also comes with the bigger battery that is rumored, otherwise 16GB is perfectly okay with me.

EnigmaticPsychotic

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't really care. If it's just a matter of a few dollars difference then I'll opt for the larger. My 16GB Nexus 4 is pretty good for the amount of apps I have.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08