10-24-2013 01:03 PM
50 12
tools
    For the past two months, the Nexus 5 rumors and speculation have been flying fast and furrious. Then, for nearly a week, all has been silent. No one at any major news outlet has written anything about the Nexus 5 since the phone's Play Store page "accidentally" went live last Thursday. All the leaks have stopped, the only posts by AC staff members in this forum are shooting down obviously fake rumors or pointing out cases for sale. In the past, as a device neared launch, leaks have increased. To me, this reeks of NDA's. I would be willing to bet that most major news outlets have a Nexus 5 so they can post reviews shortly after the announcement, and so are under NDA and are not talking about the Nexus 5 anymore.
    10-23-2013 06:49 AM
    Rumour has it Phil is getting a Nexus 5 at the end of the month :0 2-weeks prior to release (love creating rumours)

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    10-23-2013 07:39 AM
    You could be right. It should be pretty soon now since the new Ipad has been announced. I expect a announcment next week but sooner would be ok also . I'm wondering if there will be a new Nexus 10. If there is, they've done a good job of keeping it under wraps. I don't remember much being leaked about the Nexus 10 last year, other than who might manufacture it. That's all we've heard this year also.
    10-23-2013 08:06 AM
    Rumour has it Phil is getting a Nexus 5 at the end of the month :0 2-weeks prior to release (love creating rumours)

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    I am certainly not trying to create a rumor. I am not saying I have any sort of information. I'm purely basing this speculation on my observations.

You could be right. It should be pretty soon now since the new Ipad has been announced. I expect a announcment next week but sooner would be ok also . I'm wondering if there will be a new Nexus 10. If there is, they've done a good job of keeping it under wraps. I don't remember much being leaked about the Nexus 10 last year, other than who might manufacture it. That's all we've heard this year also.
    I doubt there will be a new Nexus 10 in the immediate future due to no leaks of a Nexus 10. Althought the recent price cut when purchasing the Nexus 10 through eBay suggestes they may be trying to work through stock.
    10-23-2013 08:53 AM
    I can respect post like these. It's not someone flying off the handle about a supposed rumor but a simple thread to share in the excitement through a common bond.

I love my note 2 but am certainly ready for a change of pace regarding system updates. Therefore am looking forward to switching to the nexus 5. Its nice to see others with the same passionate interest.

Posted via Android Central App
    will_solo and MERCDROID like this.
    10-23-2013 09:29 AM
    This seems possible, especially if the Amazon case review was real (which many thought it wasn't).

I, too, am surprised by the lack of N10 leaks. I was hoping they would be released at the same time. Google charges an unreasonably high price for shipping, so I planned to buy the N5 and N10 together to cut down on that cost. I have the new N7, so I don't really need the N10, but I told my girlfriend I was getting it for her...which means I am buying a 32gb and setting up two profiles.

[Edited out an off-topic rant].
    10-23-2013 10:08 AM
    I love Nexus rumor time. I remember when the GNEX came out and it was like royalty was being born. There would be threads on this forum that would grow faster than you could read them.

Anyone remember the guy who accidentally got one from Best Buy a week early and thought he was going to end up in jail?!?

LOL!
    10-23-2013 10:18 AM
    The funniest part about all of this is I actually went and streamlined my Google Play checkout process and practiced it a week ago... as soon as the N5 launches I'm gonna feel like a gun slinger in the wild west.
    stockandroidguy likes this.
    10-23-2013 10:36 AM
    I love Nexus rumor time.
    me too... the best rumor was: (start foaming at the mouth effect here) buy the nexus s, you have a phone for life with android systems updates first and geared to your phone!!!

dana, nexus s that's nearly a brick...

10-23-2013 10:39 AM
    . I would be willing to bet that most major news outlets have a Nexus 5 so they can post reviews shortly after the announcement, and so are under NDA and are not talking about the Nexus 5 anymore.
    I've often wondered about this. Is it common?

Posted via Android Central App
    10-23-2013 12:57 PM
    Someone has to poison the well.

I'm going with the Nexus 5 is deeply flawed and they have to scramble to fix it or face an ugly black eye. Anyone remember the "How can it be delayed if it hasn't been announced?" battles over the CDMA Galaxy Nexus and guess what. It was deeply flawed and required immediate updates just to provide half-decent functionality as a phone. As an Android device, it rocks, but they couldn't deliver the basic functionality that allowed the thing to get into the stores by Black Friday.
    Anyone who denies it was deeply flawed, answer why even Google has given up on that phone.

Looking forward to KitKat, though.
    10-23-2013 02:11 PM
    It's very typical for most Android devices to have this unknown release date until is just about available. One of this I dislike about Android releases. Also, typical for users to fanatically post threads about it as if the device is the end all be all of everything that has ever been created then do it again for the next flagship LOL. Not surprised at all.
    10-23-2013 02:40 PM

I'm going with the Nexus 5 is deeply flawed and they have to scramble to fix it or face an ugly black eye. Anyone remember the "How can it be delayed if it hasn't been announced?" battles over the CDMA Galaxy Nexus and guess what. It was deeply flawed and required immediate updates just to provide half-decent functionality as a phone. As an Android device, it rocks, but they couldn't deliver the basic functionality that allowed the thing to get into the stores by Black Friday.
    Anyone who denies it was deeply flawed, answer why even Google has given up on that phone.

Looking forward to KitKat, though.
    The Galaxy nexus was one of the worst launches I can remember. What made it bad was knowing about the phone and waiting on VZW to make it available. I remember the available by the end of this year crap. I was a VZW customer at the time and thought it was cool to be getting a Nexus phone but it turned out to be a nightmare. I'm sorry for VZW customers but I like the way Google is selling the phone now, directly on the play store.

The Nexus 7 2013 launch went pretty well as far as I know, so I don't see why the Nexus 5 won't.
    10-23-2013 02:42 PM
    It's very typical for most Android devices to have this unknown release date until is just about available. One of this I dislike about Android releases. Also, typical for users to fanatically post threads about it as if the device is the end all be all of everything that has ever been created then do it again for the next flagship LOL. Not surprised at all.
    Yeah, that's what makes it so bad, the not knowing. Last year I got lucky and happen to come on here when someone made a thread and sai the N4 was available. I quickly ordered the N4 & 10 and people who literally ordered minutes after me couldn't get one.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    10-23-2013 02:47 PM
    The Galaxy nexus was one of the worst launches I can remember. What made it bad was knowing about the phone and waiting on VZW to make it available. I remember the available by the end of this year crap. I was a VZW customer at the time and thought it was cool to be getting a Nexus phone but it turned out to be a nightmare. I'm sorry for VZW customers but I like the way Google is selling the phone now, directly on the play store.

The Nexus 7 2013 launch went pretty well as far as I know, so I don't see why the Nexus 5 won't.
    Honestly, I think the launch will depend on how many are available. The Nexus 4 sold out quickly for a long time but there were no reports of overwhelmening demand or huge order numbers. I wonder with this one will they have more in stock or what. I honestly think the reason we don't have a date is because Google doesn't know specifically. They of course have a target date and want to stick to that but as long as they don't announce an exact date then they don't cause any damage to reputation if they can't make it due to production issues. So I get that. I do however, wish someone other than Apple could deliver and say on X date you'll be able to buy. And I also hope Google doesn't play around and give us a preorder date but people still don't know when exactly they will get the device. Can you imagine all the "did you get your shipping notification" or "when will it be delivered" threads will be started? Will be bonkers around here LOL.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    10-23-2013 02:48 PM
    Yeah, that's what makes it so bad, the not knowing. Last year I got lucky and happen to come on here when someone made a thread and sai the N4 was available. I quickly ordered the N4 & 10 and people who literally ordered minutes after me couldn't get one.
    Yeah suddeness of last years launch was a problem. Hopefully they don't do that this year but hey you never know. I wouldn't be surprised to find the same scenario again rather than a real announcement.
    10-23-2013 02:50 PM

I'm going with the Nexus 5 is deeply flawed and they have to scramble to fix it or face an ugly black eye. Anyone remember the "How can it be delayed if it hasn't been announced?" battles over the CDMA Galaxy Nexus and guess what. It was deeply flawed and required immediate updates just to provide half-decent functionality as a phone.
    I have to admit, that is a possibility. I hope it's not the case and that "calm before the storm" is as the OP suggested, plus Google and retailers stocking up in anticipation of the demand.
    10-23-2013 03:03 PM
    Yeah suddeness of last years launch was a problem. Hopefully they don't do that this year but hey you never know. I wouldn't be surprised to find the same scenario again rather than a real announcement.
    Pretty sure last year's suddenness was weather/disaster related. There was an actual event scheduled at one time, and then it was cancelled. I don't really see that happening again. Not with Apple and Nokia both having press events in the past few days.
    10-23-2013 03:32 PM
    I have to admit, that is a possibility. I hope it's not the case and that "calm before the storm" is as the OP suggested, plus Google and retailers stocking up in anticipation of the demand.
    I would bet on the stocking up over the "deeply flawed" scenario. Remember that the hardware is based on the G2 which seems to be just fine. There's a possibility of a major bug or security hole found in 4.4, but "major" bugs don't usually make it this far and can usually be patched up with a few days of hard work by the programmers.
    10-23-2013 03:37 PM
    Honestly, I think the launch will depend on how many are available. The Nexus 4 sold out quickly for a long time but there were no reports of overwhelmening demand or huge order numbers. I wonder with this one will they have more in stock or what. I honestly think the reason we don't have a date is because Google doesn't know specifically. They of course have a target date and want to stick to that but as long as they don't announce an exact date then they don't cause any damage to reputation if they can't make it due to production issues. So I get that. I do however, wish someone other than Apple could deliver and say on X date you'll be able to buy. And I also hope Google doesn't play around and give us a preorder date but people still don't know when exactly they will get the device. Can you imagine all the "did you get your shipping notification" or "when will it be delivered" threads will be started? Will be bonkers around here LOL.
    I don't know why Google have such a difficult time getting their products to the Play Store. I've been waiting on the Chromebook 11 and in the U.K., it's been 'coming soon' and now 'temporarily out of stock' despite it being announced ages ago, and I'm not sure it has ever been available on the Play Store. We had the same problem with the Nexus 4 last year too, and I was just in time to get one second time around before they sold out the second batch, and I was lucky to get it delivered on Christmas Eve.

I know they've not been in this part of the business for long but they must be learning from their mistakes? Apple have set the benchmark with that kind of thing and I hope Google can get it right because I desperately need a new phone and want it to be a Nexus 5 but I can't wait around forever.
    10-23-2013 03:43 PM
    I would bet on the stocking up over the "deeply flawed" scenario. Remember that the hardware is based on the G2 which seems to be just fine. There's a possibility of a major bug or security hole found in 4.4, but "major" bugs don't usually make it this far and can usually be patched up with a few days of hard work by the programmers.
    Galaxy Nexus CDMA was based on the GSM Galaxy Nexus which was not flawed and launched right on time, just like they said it would.
    10-23-2013 03:50 PM
    For the past two months, the Nexus 5 rumors and speculation have been flying fast and furrious. Then, for nearly a week, all has been silent. No one at any major news outlet has written anything about the Nexus 5 since the phone's Play Store page "accidentally" went live last Thursday. All the leaks have stopped, the only posts by AC staff members in this forum are shooting down obviously fake rumors or pointing out cases for sale. In the past, as a device neared launch, leaks have increased. To me, this reeks of NDA's. I would be willing to bet that most major news outlets have a Nexus 5 so they can post reviews shortly after the announcement, and so are under NDA and are not talking about the Nexus 5 anymore.
    I also was just thinking about the same thing. The last leak was the Google Play sighting and am really hoping that means this Thursday will at least announce the phone. Sure it's a really big leap that it will happen, but one can dream. I also was even thinking that the Halloween release date might happen. I am really hoping it's by month's end.
    10-23-2013 04:16 PM
    Tomorrow would be awesome and Halloween would be acceptable

I am looking forward to see if it will be available for Sprint as some rumors have said. More so I am hoping for a Nexus Watch to be released!
    10-23-2013 04:46 PM
    Tomorrow would be awesome and Halloween would be acceptable

I am looking forward to see if it will be available for Sprint as some rumors have said. More so I am hoping for a Nexus Watch to be released!
    They're not really rumors. Rather it supports all of Sprint's bands, including all three of their LTE bands.
    10-23-2013 05:28 PM
    Seriously, there hasn't been an invite or any announcement.
    You all need to settle in for a patient wait if you want a Nexus.

Sorry for yanking your chains above, too. I'm just messing with you since this seemed to be the thread to start false rumors.
    10-23-2013 05:29 PM
50 12