Seriously, when is the Nexus 5 coming?

thehabsonice

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
You know guys.... if the nexus 5 isn't unveiled on the 31st then we know there is a problem. Think about it, they are out of stock of the nexus 4 and they have been for quite some time now. And google does not have anything to sell as a phone at the moment. This means if someone really needs a phone and can't wait another couple of weeks they will have to go look elsewhere. They are not making money (some would say losing money). I'm saying if they don't end up announcing it by the last day of this month then maybe they are still experiencing issues with the phone or something else because this is very unusual we still haven't heard anything not even invites have been sent.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
You know guys.... if the nexus 5 isn't unveiled on the 31st then we know there is a problem. Think about it, they are out of stock of the nexus 4 and they have been for quite some time now. And google does not have anything to sell as a phone at the moment. This means if someone really needs a phone and can't wait another couple of weeks they will have to go look elsewhere. They are not making money (some would say losing money). I'm saying if they don't end up announcing it by the last day of this month then maybe they are still experiencing issues with the phone or something else because this is very unusual we still haven't heard anything not even invites have been sent.

boy you are jumping to a lot of conclusions here. remember that this is Google here - not blackberry. these are professionals here - not amateurs.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
amazon.ca has the Spigen case being shipped on Oct 31st.

List Price: CDN$ 15.99
Price: CDN$ 12.99
You Save: CDN$ 3.00 (19%)
In stock on October 31, 2013.
Order it now.
Ships from and sold by SPIGEN CANADA.

This isn't an indicator of device availability, though. I could order a Spigen case for N5 from Amazon.com in the US and have it in my hands tomorrow morning. Accessory manufacturers are often given an advance 'dummy' unit (under NDA) to fit for cases, etc.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
And google does not have anything to sell as a phone at the moment. This means if someone really needs a phone and can't wait another couple of weeks they will have to go look elsewhere.

Or if someone doesn't need a phone, but needs to satisfy a new phone fix. Further delays might push me to go Note 3 or G2 and just get the N5 after the holidays.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
This isn't an indicator of device availability, though. I could order a Spigen case for N5 from Amazon.com in the US and have it in my hands tomorrow morning. Accessory manufacturers are often given an advance 'dummy' unit (under NDA) to fit for cases, etc.

True, but it's telling that it's in stock on the same day that the N5 is rumoured to be available for order. I was just trying to connect the dots and was proud that I was able to.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Or NOT
Nexus has never been and possibly never will be about marketing or getting hardware share. Recent interviews revealed that Google is indeed happy that Nexus phones have fans, but that the whole thing is more about them needing to build a whole phone for a couple hundred employees to test on, so why not build a couple hundred thousand more for nerds. Seriously, that's the quantity I heard. I would be surprised if Google sold more than a million N4s.

Google does not need to sell a phone at all. They'll sell what they like, when they like and not out of need.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
True, but it's telling that it's in stock on the same day that the N5 is rumoured to be available for order. I was just trying to connect the dots and was proud that I was able to.

Except that was in stock already on their US site on another day that it was rumored to be available for order, and that day passed with nothing from Google. Though I admit it would be a bit poetic to deliver news of the 'candy bar' theme on Halloween, I'd precaution that the slogan for that holiday is "Trick or Treat" for a reason - 'trick' is always an option.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Google doesn't care. they don't need to make a lot of money selling hardware - especially at the expense of their partners in the ecosystem. the big money/margins/profits for Google is in search and services. and that's where the future is too. Google wants their hardware partners to be fat and happy and profitable so they keep flooding the market with Android devices. Google does not want to be a hardware competitor and **** off and alienate their hardware partners. the Nexus line is a delicate balance of offering a reference design phone inexpensively and direct worldwide for developers and enthusiasts - not the unwashed masses. and that's fine with Google. Google doesn't care if Nexus doesn't break any big sales records.

thehabsonice

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Or NOT
Nexus has never been and possibly never will be about marketing or getting hardware share. Recent interviews revealed that Google is indeed happy that Nexus phones have fans, but that the whole thing is more about them needing to build a whole phone for a couple hundred employees to test on, so why not build a couple hundred thousand more for nerds. Seriously, that's the quantity I heard. I would be surprised if Google sold more than a million N4s.

Google does not need to sell a phone at all. They'll sell what they like, when they like and not out of need.

I know it's just wikipedia and I need to find a better source but according to this page the Nexus 4 sold 3 million units.
List of best-selling mobile phones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually lol here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/296557-3-million-nexus-4-have-been-sold.html

rtshoff

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
It's a pretty certain thing that Google wouldn't 'slip' and show $350 pricing for an N5 on their site only to increase it on release a couple of weeks later, as that would generate some serious fury, so the '$400-500 or even more' doesn't even merit rumor status imo at this point.

As to a renovated N4 with certified LTE, it's pretty darned unlikely. Given the cost of modifying the hardware to support AT&T LTE (and anything less would be pointless since Tmo N4 users can just root their device to activate it since it's already compatible for them), required new FCC certification, and competition against a newer Nexus... it doesn't make financial sense - and it doesn't follow the general concept of the Nexus model, being a relatively low-cost option to provide a premium Android experience and developer-friendly hardware system.

And by comparison to subsidized contract prices, you'll likely have options to do the same, effectively, with the N5 in deferring some or all of the cost over time into the monthly service cost of a plan.
Bluetooth certification hints LTE Nexus 4 may live alongside the Nexus 5

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

George Jenkinson

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Interesting changes on the Google Play website (UK version) for Nexus 4 page:

2 weeks ago the message was "We are out of inventory, please check back soon"
1 week ago the message was "Coming soon"
Last night, during the problems, the page flashed up a message along the lines of "This is no longer a current model and it won't be restocked."
Right now it is back to "We are out of inventory, please check back soon"

Not sure whether there is anything in all of this, but I suspect changes are afoot inside Google Towers. However, after all of the false leads on release dates, I now take the position - when I hold it, I'll believe it. I've given up on following the "a source says XX October/November"... !

George Jenkinson

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
boy you are jumping to a lot of conclusions here. remember that this is Google here - not blackberry. these are professionals here - not amateurs.

umm...to a point. Blackberry went from boom to (maybe?) bust - so not professional, but Google didn't cover themselves in glory this time last year....

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
We've between tipped a lot regarding release dates, most of this tipping coming from blogs, news organizations and less from Google, so I would not start blaming Google for jerking us around or miss information.

Posted via Android Central App

vido.ardes

May 6, 2011
Visit site

You do realise the Nexus line of phones is a tiny, tiny part of their business, right?

A lot of you in this forum are acting like Google are comparable to Blackberry, like they are a phone company... The nexus phones are more of a pet project for Google, a platform to show off Android, but they make very, very little off selling Nexus phones... in fact I wouldn't be surprised if it is juts an advertising loss leader.

The Nexus 5 will turn up when it turns up.