Didn't buy the nexus 4 and I've been patiently waiting for the nexus 5, my old smartphone broke a week ago and I'm currently using a feature phone. Since the nexus 5 isn't released yet and even after it's released, it would take some time before I get my hands on one since I don't live in the States. I really need a new smartphone, it's either I continue to wait for the N5 or get the N4 or maybe buy the iphone 5s? Opinions?

Posted via Android Central App
    10-25-2013 06:59 AM
    Wait for N5. They're probably just waiting for enough phones produced so they don't go sold out again

Sent from Samsung Z1 GPE on T-Mobile
    crackbaby001 likes this.
    10-25-2013 07:00 AM
    If they don't release it this october, might get the n4 then sell it and get the nexus 5 when it's released. If only the iphone 5s had a bigger screen.:|

10-25-2013 07:11 AM
    Buy a used Nexus 4. Then buy the Nexus 5. Then sell the Nexus 4. You might break even on the Nexus 4 or at least be minimally impacted.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
    crackbaby001 likes this.
    10-25-2013 07:12 AM
    Or get a new N4 in 8gb , it's roughly the same price as the 16gb slightly used. Can't find used 8gb on ebay. Thanks.:-)

10-25-2013 07:21 AM
    Well you have thishttp://www.androidauthority.com/rumo...canada-286298/

crackbaby001 likes this.
    10-25-2013 07:35 AM
    I'm sure the people of Somalia feel your pain.
    jjt981 and Zezrs like this.
    10-25-2013 07:42 AM
    I'm sure the people of Somalia feel your pain.
    Every 60 seconds in Africa, a minute passes by

10-25-2013 07:49 AM
    Just a few more days. Gotta be patient.

10-25-2013 07:50 AM
    Lol. Didn't mean to sound racist. I love black. Black people and phones. This is so unnecessary. O_o

10-25-2013 07:50 AM
    If you absolutely cannot wait, I'd get the Moto X or the HTC One (Google Play Edition if you can afford it). Best Android phones out there and they will be the most similar to the experience you would get on the Nexus 5.
    10-26-2013 08:28 PM
    I'm like you. I'm using a Samsung flip phone. Thank God for my N7. Can't wait for the N5 though.

10-26-2013 10:06 PM
    Sold my BlackBerry Z10 over a month ago and have been using old Samsung flip phone. I'm basically living in 2004. Damn you Google give us the Nexus 5 already!!!!
    10-27-2013 01:47 PM
    If you absolutely cannot wait, I'd get the Moto X or the HTC One (Google Play Edition if you can afford it). Best Android phones out there and they will be the most similar to the experience you would get on the Nexus 5.
    DO NOT BUY THE MOTO X if you are considering the Nexus 5. I did that, thinking I would sell my Nexus 4 and try a Moto X out. It is a huge ripoff. The Moto X has not been an upgrade from the Nexus 4; they are pretty equal in almost all aspects. The always-listening voice control is nice, but it still needs work and will be available on the Nexus 5. I feel incredibly screwed by Google and Motorola with the X, and I will be buying the Nexus 5 the second it is available. I've already ordered my Spigen case.
    10-27-2013 02:01 PM
    DO NOT BUY THE MOTO X if you are considering the Nexus 5. I did that, thinking I would sell my Nexus 4 and try a Moto X out. It is a huge ripoff. The Moto X has not been an upgrade from the Nexus 4; they are pretty equal in almost all aspects. The always-listening voice control is nice, but it still needs work and will be available on the Nexus 5. I feel incredibly screwed by Google and Motorola with the X, and I will be buying the Nexus 5 the second it is available. I've already ordered my Spigen case.
    Lol "incredibly screwed"? Was it the great battery life, or maybe active notifications, or moto connect that must be it. It's just you man. The X is awesome. Take a look around, everyone loves it.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    raichur0xx0rz likes this.
    10-27-2013 02:18 PM
    Lol "incredibly screwed"? Was it the great battery life, or maybe active notifications, or moto connect that must be it. It's just you man. The X is awesome. Take a look around, everyone loves it.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    The battery life is great...because I don't use the phone. The S-AMOLED screen looks like a cartoon; it is visually unappealing, so I find myself using my Nexus 7 a lot more. I average about 4 hours of screen on time, compared to 3.5-4 on my Nexus 4 running AOSPA.

Active notifications are great...except I still have to turn on the screen to do anymore than read a preview. When I have read something, I want to dismiss it. I don't want the screen of my phone flashing on and off every 30 seconds until I go in and clear the notification. If there was a way to dismiss notifications and interact (mark as read, delete, reply) emails, texts, and hangouts, active notifications would be worth something. As is, I don't find it nearly as useful as everyone has been raving about.

Moto Connect is easily mimicked with Koush's Desk SMS and Tablet SMS. I leave Moto Connect turned off. It is often unreliable and disruptive, and the duplicate notifications (on my phone and computer) are annoying. I can see why some people would use Moto Connect, but still, Koush's apps do the same thing on the computer plus can be used on tablets.

Other problems: I have the white version, and it looks cheap and gets dirty quickly. Thepower button and volume rocker feels loose and cheap. My screen cracked from the steam of my shower (my Nexus 4 survived this 100+ times without any problems). The software freezes and lags often, forcing me to restart every couple of days. Is this Blackberry? The camera is horrible, even after the update. The twist-to-activate camera function has about a 30% success rate for me, forcing me to leave my Nova Prime shortcut I used on my N4. Having the extra bezel at the top rather than the bottom makes it awkward to reach for the on-screen navigation buttons. The on-screen nav buttons are only transparent on stock launcher, which is crap compared to Nova, etc. To get an unlocked bootloader for AT&T (or Verizon), I have to pay even more than the already too-high price to get a Developer Edition.

edit: Thought of some more things. About 20% of the time, the keyboard will not activate. This happens for stock, Swype, or SwiftKey. I have to close out what I am doing, turn the screen off with the power button, turn it back on, and re-open the app to make the keyboard come up. I haven't found any other solution, and this solution only works about 75% of the time. The always-listening voice control is unreliable, as about half the time, it activates at "Ok, Google" and starts the command with "now," preventing voice control from registering it as a command. The quick settings tiles can't be changed or moved, which I will admit is a problem stock AOSP suffers, but it not a problem I worry about because I run AOSPA on my Nexus devices. I get stupid Moto notifications from the Moto bloatware. Moto X is still stuck on JB 4.2, when even the Galaxy devices are getting 4.3 updates, and AOSP has been on 4.3 for months.

Basically, everything about the Moto X has disappointed me, and I cannot in good conscience recommend anyone else get this phone. This is not just compared to Nexus devices. I bought my girlfriend a GS4 when they came out, and it is undoubtedly superior. She complained the GS4 was too big for her, so I was going to sell it and get her a Moto X, but after playing with my phone she said there was no way she would go to that from the GS4. The Moto X is a downgrade for her.

I feel incredibly screwed, and I stick by that. They promised a superior use experience on a superior device, and so far I have gotten a sub-par experience on an outdated, overpriced device. I feel almost like I bought an iPhone. It isn't a good feeling.
    10-27-2013 02:43 PM
    the Moto X is nice - but it ain't no Nexus 5. not even close.
    10-27-2013 05:43 PM
    The battery life is great...because I don't use the phone. The S-AMOLED screen looks like a cartoon; it is visually unappealing, so I find myself using my Nexus 7 a lot more. I average about 4 hours of screen on time, compared to 3.5-4 on my Nexus 4 running AOSPA.

Active notifications are great...except I still have to turn on the screen to do anymore than read a preview. When I have read something, I want to dismiss it. I don't want the screen of my phone flashing on and off every 30 seconds until I go in and clear the notification. If there was a way to dismiss notifications and interact (mark as read, delete, reply) emails, texts, and hangouts, active notifications would be worth something. As is, I don't find it nearly as useful as everyone has been raving about.

Moto Connect is easily mimicked with Koush's Desk SMS and Tablet SMS. I leave Moto Connect turned off. It is often unreliable and disruptive, and the duplicate notifications (on my phone and computer) are annoying. I can see why some people would use Moto Connect, but still, Koush's apps do the same thing on the computer plus can be used on tablets.

Other problems: I have the white version, and it looks cheap and gets dirty quickly. Thepower button and volume rocker feels loose and cheap. My screen cracked from the steam of my shower (my Nexus 4 survived this 100+ times without any problems). The software freezes and lags often, forcing me to restart every couple of days. Is this Blackberry? The camera is horrible, even after the update. The twist-to-activate camera function has about a 30% success rate for me, forcing me to leave my Nova Prime shortcut I used on my N4. Having the extra bezel at the top rather than the bottom makes it awkward to reach for the on-screen navigation buttons. The on-screen nav buttons are only transparent on stock launcher, which is crap compared to Nova, etc. To get an unlocked bootloader for AT&T (or Verizon), I have to pay even more than the already too-high price to get a Developer Edition.

edit: Thought of some more things. About 20% of the time, the keyboard will not activate. This happens for stock, Swype, or SwiftKey. I have to close out what I am doing, turn the screen off with the power button, turn it back on, and re-open the app to make the keyboard come up. I haven't found any other solution, and this solution only works about 75% of the time. The always-listening voice control is unreliable, as about half the time, it activates at "Ok, Google" and starts the command with "now," preventing voice control from registering it as a command. The quick settings tiles can't be changed or moved, which I will admit is a problem stock AOSP suffers, but it not a problem I worry about because I run AOSPA on my Nexus devices. I get stupid Moto notifications from the Moto bloatware. Moto X is still stuck on JB 4.2, when even the Galaxy devices are getting 4.3 updates, and AOSP has been on 4.3 for months.

Basically, everything about the Moto X has disappointed me, and I cannot in good conscience recommend anyone else get this phone. This is not just compared to Nexus devices. I bought my girlfriend a GS4 when they came out, and it is undoubtedly superior. She complained the GS4 was too big for her, so I was going to sell it and get her a Moto X, but after playing with my phone she said there was no way she would go to that from the GS4. The Moto X is a downgrade for her.

I feel incredibly screwed, and I stick by that. They promised a superior use experience on a superior device, and so far I have gotten a sub-par experience on an outdated, overpriced device. I feel almost like I bought an iPhone. It isn't a good feeling.
    It sounds to me like you may have gotten a bad device. All of the Moto features generally work without exception. For one it appears you didn't do much research about the device before purchasing. You should have known it had an amoled screen and you should have played with a demo and seen what it would look like. This also applies to the all white model. If you thought it looked cheap you shouldn't have purchased it. If the screen cracked from "shower steam" then you kept the phone way to close to the shower for a long period of time. This complaint is user neglect and has nothing to do with the quality of the X. It's an electronic device, keep it away from water and excessive heat. For two it's not a Nexus device. 4.3 was just being introduced as the Moto X was almost ready for release. The software has to be tested and such before it can just be pushed to the device. It is not "stuck" on 4.2, it's not a Nexus so comparing it to a Nexus as far as software updates makes no sense. It's an AT&T device of course the bootloader will be locked. Again nothing to do with the Moto X and everything to do with the carrier. The battery life on the Nexus 4 is hardly comparable to the Moto X. You cannot compare a device out of the box to a Nexus device with a custom rom/kernel. I am not saying everyone has to love the Moto X and it is clear you don't, but all you have to do is look around and see all of the praise it has received. All I was saying is you are definitely in the minority of users who do not like it. Also I find it funny that you talk about Moto "bloat" yet praise a GS4 "the king of bloat" in the same post Android is about options, get whatever device that makes you happy and we will enjoy our outdated, overpriced moto X's.
    10-27-2013 09:13 PM
    You are in the minority on that opinion. Most people love the Moto X. We don't know that the Nexus 5 will have always listening like features, that is pure speculation at this point.

the Moto X is nice - but it ain't no Nexus 5. not even close.
    Probably true, but we really don't know until it is out.
    10-27-2013 09:13 PM
    It sounds to me like you may have gotten a bad device. All of the Moto features generally work without exception. For one it appears you didn't do much research about the device before purchasing. You should have known it had an amoled screen and you should have played with a demo and seen what it would look like. This also applies to the all white model. If you thought it looked cheap you shouldn't have purchased it. If the screen cracked from "shower steam" then you kept the phone way to close to the shower for a long period of time. This complaint is user neglect and has nothing to do with the quality of the X. It's an electronic device, keep it away from water and excessive heat. For two it's not a Nexus device. 4.3 was just being introduced as the Moto X was almost ready for release. The software has to be tested and such before it can just be pushed to the device. It is not "stuck" on 4.2, it's not a Nexus so comparing it to a Nexus as far as software updates makes no sense. It's an AT&T device of course the bootloader will be locked. Again nothing to do with the Moto X and everything to do with the carrier. The battery life on the Nexus 4 is hardly comparable to the Moto X. You cannot compare a device out of the box to a Nexus device with a custom rom/kernel. I am not saying everyone has to love the Moto X and it is clear you don't, but all you have to do is look around and see all of the praise it has received. All I was saying is you are definitely in the minority of users who do not like it. Also I find it funny that you talk about Moto "bloat" yet praise a GS4 "the king of bloat" in the same post Android is about options, get whatever device that makes you happy and we will enjoy our outdated, overpriced moto X's.
    I did tons of research before buying. I didn't buy until bloggers like Phil N and Jerry H have their stamps of approval. I tried the device out in a store three times before purchasing. Everything I read said give it some time, that it grows on you. I had a GNex once, so I figured I could try to go back to S-AMOLED I knew the display was 720p oversaturated, but everything I read said your eyes get used to it. That just didn't happen. It's not just the all white model that looks cheap; they all look cheap except maybe the all black. I didn't keep the device next to excessive heat or anything. It was on my bathroom counter during a 5 minute shower with the door open. I've taken innumerable showers with the door open and closed with every single phone and tablet I've owned with no trouble ever. That's not user error, it's a badly made phone. And I CAN compare any device to a Nexus with a custom ROM and kernel, because that's how I run my Nexus devices. Moto X has almost zero development even if you do have an unlocked boot loader.

I may be in the minority of users, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong or that I should not tell people about my experience. I think the phone is a ripoff, and I'm telling people why. If you think it's so great, you can feel free to try to persuade people of that. I've had the phone for about 6 weeks, and my experience has been mostly negative.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    10-27-2013 10:16 PM