Open Letter to Google Android Team

galfert

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
To Google Android Team,

When is a secret no longer a secret? Well when everyone knows about it. Google your silence is deafening.

At this point it makes no sense to remain quiet. The Nexus 4 has been out of stock for a month or so. If you let people know when the Nexus 5 will be released it will not cannibalize sales of the current model since it isn't available. People are starting to choose alternatives rather than keep waiting. It was fun at first but enough is enough. It is like horse play, fun at first and then it isn't fun anymore.

The amount of leaks, deliberate or not, has helped in a viral marketing sort of way. We are ready to hear from you now. There is no reason to remain silent.

Please add your comments below, in what we'll call an ongoing open letter to Google Android Team.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not to be antagonistic here, but if people are starting to choose alternatives rather than keep waiting, and Google hasn't released anything yet most certainly because the phone's not ready to be out the door yet... How is having a date going to make a difference? If I, as a costumer, can't wait to get a new phone I'll get another one whether I know when the Nexus (ugly, IMHO judging by the leaks) is due because I want/need a phone NOW.

Besides, what better publicity and marketing than this? Everyone is talking about the new Nexus, everyone wants to see it and know the official dates and play with leaked data. The only downside to that is, by the time it does get announced, you already knew what was coming and the 'awe effect' is lost (ask iPad Air and the amount of tweets about people being disappointed... and all because they already knew what was coming).

galfert

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Having a date makes a huge difference. You can then decide if you can wait or not.

Companies keep future products a secret so as to not cannibalize current product on shelves. And they keep secret because the product isn't ready and is a long way off from being ready. None of these reasons apply.

At this point the plea for the break of silence is from a good business standpoint, and appreciating your customers.

Everyone interested in the Nexus 5 just wants a date too so that they can stop checking the Internet every hour for updates. Because nobody truly interested wants to end up dealing with product shortages. So that is another reason for just having a date.

Give me an order date. And ship it in January for all I care. I just want my place in line secured without all this nonsense. I don't need it now. I just don't want to be the last to have it, whenever that is.

Last edited:

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
This is making the large assumption that Google really cares about sales of the nexus. As long as they can get the phone in enough hands to test out new versions of android, I would say Google could care less how many they sell. I mean it is pretty obvious they make no money on the phones. It is not like the average person even knows what "nexus" even means.

What I trying to say is that the Nexus line(at least for phones) has very few parallels to average devices. You should not expect them to be treated the same because quite frankly, Google is not really even trying to sell them.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Google doesn't really care which Android phones sell as long as Android gets the win/sale. Google doesn't want to push the Nexus too hard because they don't want to sabotage/alienate/cannibalize their other hardware partners ie Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, Sony, et al. so they actually WANT a softer launch.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!!

Google will release it when they're good and ready. Hopefully that includes a drastic increase of supply upon release. I promise you'd be A LOT more upset if the phone was released and you weren't able to get it for weeks or months....ala a lot of people after past Nexus launches (not me : p). Personally I think their tactics are genius! This type of "I'm taking my ball and going home" rant STINKS of the "entitled generation!"

TheDoctor 46

May 31, 2012
Visit site
FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!!

Google will release it when they're good and ready. Hopefully that includes a drastic increase of supply upon release. I promise you'd be A LOT more upset if the phone was released and you weren't able to get it for weeks or months....ala a lot of people after past Nexus launches (not me : p). Personally I think their tactics are genius! This type of "I'm taking my ball and going home" rant STINKS of the "entitled generation!"

Wow! I was just about to say the same thing.
People need to go outside and look at the clouds or walk their dogs. The phone will come, you will buy, and will be bored with it after 2 months. Just like Every phone ever made!

Posted via Android Central App

vido.ardes

May 6, 2011
Visit site
1. Google don't care. The 5 people that will get a different phone pale in comparison to the people who are happy to wait.

2. The next Nexus phone will turn up when it's ready and finished. I don't want a buggy product because a minority of people are too impatient to wait.

3. Google haven't announced the phone, so for all we know these 'leaks' are about an internal phone not for public consumption. Unlikely but at this point still possible. Google don't owe you anything, they haven't mentioned a device or a release date.

4. Google don't read all the fan forums, this will fall on deaf ears.

This is gonna sound quite rude but in short, your posts sounds really needy and entitled. By all accounts this will be announced over the next couple of weeks so just be patient.

galfert

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Wow... I guess I misread this crowd.

Google,
Disregard my letter. Go on about your do no evil business strategy. It is obviously working out great as your reputation shows with the comments on this forum.

I thought I was rounding up the troops. There is nothing in my sentiment about any entitlement. I'm not of that generation. Whatever.

Maxcady

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
To the OP?

It's just a phone. That's all. What difference can it possibly make when you get one?

Spend some time doing something worthwhile like rescuing an animal from a shelter or saying hi to a neighbor.

Just my opinion.

TheDoctor 46

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong. I'm going to buy this phone, but it's really not that important to have it yesterday. My galaxy nexus will do 99.9% of everything the N5 will do. Just a little slower. FB posts, check email, watch YouTube, text, and talk. This is what most people (not all) require of their phones each day. So not having an N5 in my hand doesn't impede my life whatsoever. So why stress about it?

galfert

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
To the OP?

It's just a phone. That's all. What difference can it possibly make when you get one?

Spend some time doing something worthwhile like rescuing an animal from a shelter or saying hi to a neighbor.

Just my opinion.

You are so totally right. Thanks for setting me straight.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, if you want to know of for sure, you'd better make this an "Open Letter to LG".

Now, all indications are that the N5 will be very similar to the G2. So for LG, this could end up cannibalizing sales of that phone. So, LG is the one pulling the strings here. Perhaps they're not giving Google a date. Perhaps Google won't pull the trigger until it has 50,000 I hand ready to deliver.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The problem is you can't please everyone. If any company gives a public time frame or release date, they run the major risk of having to publicly announce delays or cancellations...which is just plain negative PR. If they say nothing at all, then you have people angry for feeling like they're being hidden in the dark. If they do acknowledge its existence but give no time frame, then you have people still clamoring for a date and accusing said companies of "holding a product hostage!"

So who should Google try to please? From a company's perspective, it would be less risky to say nothing than to divulge more information than required that could have any negative blow back. The only people riled up are those who did it to themselves from absorbing rumors and leaks as official facts.

At any rate, be patient. It's only a phone after all and there many other great options you can choose from if you can't wait just a little while longer.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Wow... I guess I misread this crowd.

Google,
Disregard my letter. Go on about your do no evil business strategy. It is obviously working out great as your reputation shows with the comments on this forum.

I thought I was rounding up the troops. There is nothing in my sentiment about any entitlement. I'm not of that generation. Whatever.

I don't think you totally misread it, it's just a different group of people have responded. Different in that they don't share your opinion on how to deal with waiting on this phone.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The phone will appear as soon as Google — and the device itself — are ready. Furthermore, once plans are set (inventory and shipping management, announcement preparations, information embargoes, etc.) it's unlikely to see a release date changed, let alone moved up, without a significant reason. Pre-release leaks likely make very little impact on such considerations when the expected release is already so close. Having said that, recognize that there is a different between an announcement and a release. Explaining one's thoughts and optimism regarding an immediate announcement is much more relevant than saying "I want the Nexus 5 already, where is it Google?!" I see neither a sense of entitlement nor misordered priorities in the original post.

I want this phone quite a bit. It affects my work, as a majority of what I do is centered around mobile design and development. I'm happy to wait, and while Mooem is likely right in that nothing that has happened in the past few weeks is likely to motivate any sort of change in Google's plans, galfert's points about the current 'state' of much of the enthusiast crowd are valid. I totally get wanting to be always-informed about an upcoming device, but doing so by jumping on the rumor mill bandwagon just leads to confusion and over-hype.

I don't think you totally misread it, it's just a different group of people have responded. Different in that they don't share your opinion on how to deal with waiting on this phone.

This.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Some of the snarky responses in this thread really aren't called for. This thread was posted in honest good intent, and the OP was obviously looking for responses that shared in his frustration. There are ways to voice your agreement or lack there of without resorting to an overall attack in character or morals. O0, I am sure you will find some people who agree with your frustration, it will just take a few pages to weed them out ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech