LTE Band Support and Verizon: Nexus 7 LTE and Nexus 5

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'll be brief. I know it's unlikely that Verizon will get a Nexus 5 with true cell radios and CDMA compatibility. I get that and concede that point.

I know the Nexus 7 LTE will work on Verizon with 4G and has the following LTE compatibility:

Dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4GHz/5GHz) 802.11 a/b/g/n
LTE: 700/850/1700/1800/1900/2100 MHz
HSPA+: 850/900/1900/2100/AWS (1700/2100) MHz
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Does anyone know if the Nexus 5 GSM edition will support the same Verizon LTE bands? Did the FCC specify?

Both devices will not support CDMA and will not make or receive true phone calls on Verizon. However, if both of them support full 4G, I have an interesting choice.
Get the Nexus 7 LTE for a bigger screen and minimally cheaper price or get a Nexus 5 with a smaller screen, easier portability, true phone capabilities should I travel abroad or want to ever use TMobile/ATT in the US, minimal cost difference.

lilotimz

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I'll be brief. I know it's unlikely that Verizon will get a Nexus 5 with true cell radios and CDMA compatibility. I get that and concede that point.

I know the Nexus 7 LTE will work on Verizon with 4G and has the following LTE compatibility:

Dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4GHz/5GHz) 802.11 a/b/g/n
LTE: 700/850/1700/1800/1900/2100 MHz
HSPA+: 850/900/1900/2100/AWS (1700/2100) MHz
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Does anyone know if the Nexus 5 GSM edition will support the same Verizon LTE bands? Did the FCC specify?

Both devices will not support CDMA and will not make or receive true phone calls on Verizon. However, if both of them support full 4G, I have an interesting choice.
Get the Nexus 7 LTE for a bigger screen and minimally cheaper price or get a Nexus 5 with a smaller screen, easier portability, true phone capabilities should I travel abroad or want to ever use TMobile/ATT in the US, minimal cost difference.

There is only one version for the NA Market and that is the LG D820 which supports the following:

• GSM 850/1900
  • W-CDMA 1900/2100+1700/850 (band 2, 4, 5)
  • CDMA1X/EV-DO 850/1900/800 (band class 0, 1, 10)
  • LTE 2100+1700/850/700/1900/800 (band 4, 5, 17, 25, 26)
  • TD-LTE 2600 (band 41)

So no, it will not work on Verizon at all. In addition there is absolutely no way Verizons letting you just camp on Band 4 as that's a capacity offloading spectrum. Band 13 is their bread and butter and the entire reason they can say they have the largest LTE network in the USA and the D820 specifically does not support it.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Should copy n paste this in all the nexus5will it work or how can I get it to work on VZW. Vzw folks need to realize there is no nexus 5phone for us.
There is only one version for the NA Market and that is the LG D820 which supports the following:

• GSM 850/1900
  • W-CDMA 1900/2100+1700/850 (band 2, 4, 5)
  • CDMA1X/EV-DO 850/1900/800 (band class 0, 1, 10)
  • LTE 2100+1700/850/700/1900/800 (band 4, 5, 17, 25, 26)
  • TD-LTE 2600 (band 41)

So no, it will not work on Verizon at all. In addition there is absolutely no way Verizons letting you just camp on Band 4 as that's a capacity offloading spectrum. Band 13 is their bread and butter and the entire reason they can say they have the largest LTE network in the USA and the D820 specifically does not support it.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the information. I knew there were differnet bands of 700 and 750 and that Verizon had band c in 700 for LTE.
I can understand why Google wouldn't want to advertise or provide any support since it won't be able to make phone calls or support CDMA no matter what. I guess I just assumed it would support the same bands as the Nexus 7 LTE....Oh well.

It is amazing that Google won't even advertise that the Nexus 7 does actually work on Big Red.

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget that the Nexus 4 wasn't certified by the FCC to work on ANY LTE bands, yet it did.

I would be very suprised if the Nexus 5 didn't have the capability of the VZW LTE bands, even though it hasn't been certified to operate on the VZW bands. It looks to me like the VZW CDMA bands are already certified. I think that Google could re-submit the Nexus 5 to the FCC for certification of the VZW LTE bands, after a small driver update.

I believe that Google WANTS their phone on VZW. There might still be issues to resolve, but I am optimistic that it can happen.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
People have been over this point already.

While it seems some CDMA coverage bands are possible, the likeliness that Verizon would authorize the calling/texting aspect over CDMA is seriously doubtful. This isn't VoLTE and Verizon doesn't even have that yet so the phone would basically be a data device only -- not provisioned for calling. That's even IF you somehow managed to get on LTE bands correctly.

rover#AC

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I am really hoping for Nexus 5 to be true global LTE phone, like the iPhone 5s, with not only NA bands in it. My travels in Europe take me to T-Mobile territor there that uses LTE Band 3, whicht virtually all US LTE models lack, with the exception of the new iPhone. I don't understand why other makers can't accomplish the same thing as Apple. Having one model serving all, or most carriers probably saves on manufacturing over several different models for various regional markets.

By the way, some of the posters list LTE bands by frequencies only, not by band numbers. Since the phones work on separate d/l and u/l frequencies, I wonder which of those are listed in the single frequency listings. Band 3, for instance uses 1805-1880 Mhz for d/l and 1710-1785 for u/l. I suspect when the 1800 MHz LTE band is listed, it is really the d/l link frequency of Band 3, but I am not sure.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I am really hoping for Nexus 5 to be true global LTE phone, like the iPhone 5s, with not only NA bands in it. My travels in Europe take me to T-Mobile territor there that uses LTE Band 3, whicht virtually all US LTE models lack, with the exception of the new iPhone. I don't understand why other makers can't accomplish the same thing as Apple. Having one model serving all, or most carriers probably saves on manufacturing over several different models for various regional markets.

By the way, some of the posters list LTE bands by frequencies only, not by band numbers. Since the phones work on separate d/l and u/l frequencies, I wonder which of those are listed in the single frequency listings. Band 3, for instance uses 1805-1880 Mhz for d/l and 1710-1785 for u/l. I suspect when the 1800 MHz LTE band is listed, it is really the d/l link frequency of Band 3, but I am not sure.

problem w/ Apple's implementation for CDMA networks here is that they can't keep LTE data and do a CDMA call. If you call while on VZW, the phone will have 3G data. My Moto X on vzw shows LTE throughout the whole call because it has both radios separate (more power used but how often do you call?).

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I had been wondering this exact same thing. Thanks for the info. So, with a 4G sim, I can pop it out of my S4, and into a Nexus 7 and it will work on Verizon. Ok, so when you look on the myvzw account, what shows up as your phone? I used to switch back and forth from my HTC rezound and S4 (with a SIM adapter) and it would show on my VZW which phone I was using at the time. What would show up when using a Nexus 7 (or a N5 if for some reason it turned out to actually support band 13 LTE)

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
problem w/ Apple's implementation for CDMA networks here is that they can't keep LTE data and do a CDMA call. If you call while on VZW, the phone will have 3G data. My Moto X on vzw shows LTE throughout the whole call because it has both radios separate (more power used but how often do you call?).
Well if you dont call often, how often do you need LTE data during a call? Sounds like a fair enough tradeoff.

It sounds like Apple is sharing antennas between radios. Most SOC's in phones now have all kinds of radios built in. The trouble is you have to pack antennas into the phone for all the different frequencies.

rover#AC

May 16, 2011
Visit site

Sorry, I forgot that this thread is aimed at Verizon customers. I am a a T-Mobile customer, so it's GSM for me.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Well if you dont call often, how often do you need LTE data during a call? Sounds like a fair enough tradeoff.

It sounds like Apple is sharing antennas between radios. Most SOC's in phones now have all kinds of radios built in. The trouble is you have to pack antennas into the phone for all the different frequencies.

I don't know about his case but I absolutely need this feature. I'm often day trade stock (yes on my phone LOL, since I don't want to be flagged at work) and when I get a call, I don't want to be disconnected from my traders chat room and live quotes. It can literally cost me $1000s.
IMO there's absolutely no excuse for iPhone

longshot94

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely I have the sim from my Verizon Galaxy Camera in my Nexus 7 as we speak with all sorts of LTE goodness.

You can take ANY (yes you read that correct ANY) Verizon LTE sim and put it in any other LTE device that supports band 13 and it works just fine on LTE Data. With that said there is a caveat in that Verizon won't activate a device that has not been certified on their network yet. So you activate a sim with Verizon in a tablet or galaxy camera and then pop it in your device.

I had been wondering this exact same thing. Thanks for the info. So, with a 4G sim, I can pop it out of my S4, and into a Nexus 7 and it will work on Verizon. Ok, so when you look on the myvzw account, what shows up as your phone? I used to switch back and forth from my HTC rezound and S4 (with a SIM adapter) and it would show on my VZW which phone I was using at the time. What would show up when using a Nexus 7 (or a N5 if for some reason it turned out to actually support band 13 LTE)

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to get a Nexus 7 at some point either before/for/or after the holidays. I need a 32gb. I've tossed around spending the extra $70 or whatever for the LTE version. But I'm hesitant because now I currently tether my phone (yes I'm rooted). So wifi only works just fine for me. Not sure I'm completely comfortable being without a phone while I'm using the tablet either. I know I can forward my vzw # to Google voice and get my calls on the Nexus, but what about text messages? I need to be able to receive my VZW texts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol