Share your Nexus 5 camera photos, videos, and thoughts!

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
This is the place to discuss the Nexus 5's photo/video performance, as well as to share photos, videos, panoramas, and photospheres that youv'e taken. The camera has been an important talking point of this Nexus phone since the Nexus 4 was released, so it'll be very interesting to see how this plays out.

The Nexus 5 has a 1.3MP front-facing camera and an 8MP rear-facing camera with OIS (Optical Image Stabilization). It includes the following features:

HDR+: The perfect picture, every time. With HDR+, capture vivid photos by day and sharper photos by night.

Photosphere: Capture your biggest moments. With Photo Sphere, create an immersive 360? view no professional camera can match.

Auto Backup: Every photo, backed up and better than ever. Auto Backup automatically saves and enhances every photo and video.

Auto Awesome: Awesome new photos, made for you. Auto Awesome automatically creates animations, photo booth shots, and panoramas from your library.​

Last edited:

GearJ2o

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
^^ Seemed like N5 take pictures that are a little brighter on the outside than inside. N5 makes the hotel looked nicer inside. So, 5s is better at capturing pictures outdoor? Okay, I'm not an expert at recognizing quality pictures, but I would like to see more picture comparisons like that.

lucas.scott

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
^^ Seemed like N5 take pictures that are a little brighter on the outside than inside. N5 makes the hotel looked nicer inside. So, 5s is better at capturing pictures outdoor? Okay, I'm not an expert at recognizing quality pictures, but I would like to see more picture comparisons like that.

Agreed. Its tough to look at comparisons. I feel like no phone has offered the total package just yet. I currently have a Lumia 928 and an iPhone 5s. The Lumia blows the 5s out of the water in low light (outdoors and indoors) but iPhone manages white balance better than any other device on the market. I was lucky enough to order my 32gb Nexus 5 today and look forward to writing up some comparisons on medium.com

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not trying to be a fanboy, but IMO the Nexus 5 pictures looked better than the 5S in those comparisons.

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
One of the primary reasons I bought my Lumia 920 was for the camera. I'd love to see a decent photo comparison between the 920 and the Nexus 5. I'm "that close" to switching, but I'm not sure about the camera.

lucas.scott

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Here is a low-light shot that I found over at Phandroid. This one is actually pretty impressive if you ask me. Focus could be better , but thats on the person who snapped the photo really. Tone is quite good.

IMG_20131016_223412.jpg

GearJ2o

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Okay. I'm looking forward to that write-up. Im waiting on AT&T to announce their plans with N5 so I know I won't be getting my Nexus 5 anytime soon.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Does the HDR+ mode save *just* the HDR'ed image or is there a setting to allow it to also save the original image (as iOS has)?

In Kit Kat has anything been changed to allow one to view more than 1000 images in the instant upload album?

rekkid

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
That's just a good picture in general. but someone makes me feel like this photo was edited.

there's some editing for sure. there's an overall warming color cast to it. Vignetting/burning over the top and on the hotspots of the lights. No SOC pic is going to have that gray/black cast over a hotspot like that. and if the phone is vignetting or darkening just the top that bad... somethings wrong :)

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay. I'm looking forward to that write-up. Im waiting on AT&T to announce their plans with N5 so I know I won't be getting my Nexus 5 anytime soon.

AT&T probably won't announce anything about the Nexus 5. It will work on their network just fine, but they probably aren't going to ever carry it in their stores.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Two nice night shots taken by the Nexus 5, courtesy of Alex.

https://plus.google.com/115589706410276687884/posts/izH9WQ5h2F4

It's weird that the f/stop info keeps showing differently. I was under the impression this was a set number for phone cameras? Alex, your photos show 2.4, yet most of the other photos that have shown up keep showing 2.5. I think some of the photos that leaked right before on the 30th also were showing 2.4 as well. Can this camera actually change that, or are there two cameras out there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678