Share your Nexus 5 camera photos, videos, and thoughts!

bernhard65

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
JeffDenver yes, it definitely does. The Nexus excels at low-complexity, low-distance photos, while the opposite is true for my standalone camera (it's not a DSLR by the way, it's an older entry-level cam for about $200). More complex scenes tend to have an artificial look to it with HDR+ enabled because the edges are too crisp.

ssgmun5000

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Me and the wife are not happy at all with the camera. She is coming from an HTC One S and I have a Nexus 4. Having small kids we need a fast camera and our N5's is not cutting it. That and battery life might have me sell them.

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I honestly think once VSCO finally launches for Android, the photo quality we're used to from our phones is going to be upped significantly.

Here's one more looking right into the setting sun, again, straight outta camera HDR+ with no processing

View attachment 91116

My time in the sun has been limited( I live in seattle lol) but from cloudy days the HDR mode brightens things up. I'm not sure if it's just me but does using the camera suck down the battery for u? I'm talking like down 6-8% in a few minutes of playing around on the camera

djkleric

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with the quality of the camera. Is it as good as my 6D, No but it will suffice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384123212481.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384123212481.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 64

Perry Fabiano

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My time in the sun has been limited( I live in seattle lol) but from cloudy days the HDR mode brightens things up. I'm not sure if it's just me but does using the camera suck down the battery for u? I'm talking like down 6-8% in a few minutes of playing around on the camera

Yeah I use a Fuji x100 primarily for stills so I'm with you, it's good enough as a phone shooter.

Definitely noticed that with the camera and the battery, yup!

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I use a Fuji x100 primarily for stills so I'm with you, it's good enough as a phone shooter.

Definitely noticed that with the camera and the battery, yup!

I'll have to watch closer because I have a process mm-qcamera-daemon that I think probably shouldn't be there and it shows a percentage that it drains

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
These are all HDR+ mode. HDR does not necessarily give better results than normal mode. It sometimes overcompensates. IMO it should be used as a tool, not as a default. A few of these are cropped, but otherwise raw, without processing. One thing that really impresses me is how well the camera handles gradients. That was always a sore spot with me on older phone cameras.

PNG1.jpg
PNG2.jpg
PNG4.jpg
PNG5.jpg
PNG6.jpg
PNG7.jpg
PNG8.jpg

In the 2nd to the last one I was trying to focus on the chase logo.

paa79594

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
All the photos I've seen taken by the Nexus 5 are "squarish." I assume they've got an aspect ratio of 4:3. Is there a setting to change the camera to take pictures in a 16x9 aspect ratio?

Can anyone answer this? I am wondering the same.. not seeing it in the stock app. I do however see the option when using Vignette.

Perry Fabiano

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
These are all HDR+ mode. HDR does not necessarily give better results than normal mode. It sometimes overcompensates. IMO it should be used as a tool, not as a default. A few of these are cropped, but otherwise raw, without processing. One thing that really impresses me is how well the camera handles gradients. That was always a sore spot with me on older phone cameras.

View attachment 91184
View attachment 91185
View attachment 91186
View attachment 91187
View attachment 91188
View attachment 91189
View attachment 91190

In the 2nd to the last one I was trying to focus on the chase logo.

Great shots here, especially the bottom two. After more experimentation, I find myself leaning on the HDR+ mode more and more, which is disappointing considering I don't like using the stock camera app. More pointedly, do you know of a way to control the exposure in the stock camera? I'm talking something simple like on the iPhone where tapping an area of the screen dictates the exposure priority.

It does this somewhat in more balanced settings but if there's a bright source in frame and a dark source forget about this thing allowing you to meter for the dark source. Well, let me change that, if you try, try, try, try, try you can sometimes trick it into letting you purposely under/over expose things.

This is why I marvel at your last two photos, especially the CHASE one: getting the camera to expose a scene that way has been the hardest task for me

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Great shots here, especially the bottom two. After more experimentation, I find myself leaning on the HDR+ mode more and more, which is disappointing considering I don't like using the stock camera app. More pointedly, do you know of a way to control the exposure in the stock camera?
Yeah. Go to options (the circle) then the +/- symbol...thats exposure.

I have never had good results messing with exposure though. Only time I would use it is if clarity, not quality, was the issue (like text or something).

I'm talking something simple like on the iPhone where tapping an area of the screen dictates the exposure priority.
You can do that in normal mode, but it will focus on that area as well. If you want exposure and focus to be different for a given tap, the default app does not do that. What you are wanting is possible, but it is a software issue, and the default camera app is not great.

It does this somewhat in more balanced settings but if there's a bright source in frame and a dark source forget about this thing allowing you to meter for the dark source. Well, let me change that, if you try, try, try, try, try you can sometimes trick it into letting you purposely under/over expose things.
Thats what I do. If it is an image where everything will be focused about the same, I tap on a bright area or dark area...it will adjust exposure to that level. I did that in that last shot you see in my post you quoted. I wanted to make sure the sunset was not washed out and that the building were not drowned in shadow.

This is why I marvel at your last two photos, especially the CHASE one: getting the camera to expose a scene that way has been the hardest task for me
On the Chase one I tapped-to-focus on the chase logo specifically. The downside of this is the rest of the image will not be in focus...this is usually only an issue in close-up (Macro) shots though.

It's not ideal at all, but they made the default app to be intuitive, not flexible.

The thing I marvel at myself is the smooth gradients this camera delivers, even in low light. That was IMPOSSIBLE to do on the Nexus 4. Low light photos were a grainy mess. On the Nexus 5, there is very little noise on anything...that impresses the hell out of me.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Here is a direct comparison between the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 cameras. The first image is the Nexus 4. The 2nd is the Nexus 5 in normal mode. The last is the nexus 5 HDR+.

IMG_20131112_171340.jpg

Nexus 5-2.jpg

Nexus5-3.jpg

djkleric

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
All the photos I've seen taken by the Nexus 5 are "squarish." I assume they've got an aspect ratio of 4:3. Is there a setting to change the camera to take pictures in a 16x9 aspect ratio?
Can anyone answer this? I am wondering the same.. not seeing it in the stock app. I do however see the option when using Vignette.
Most sensors are close to a 4:3 aspect ratio. When you have an option for 16:9 all it really does is crop the top and bottom.