Will it work on AT&T LTE Network?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
'Phone' APN won't give you LTE. You need 'pta' APN for LTE. In order for 'pta' APN to work, your data plan must be LTE data plan.

nicknacknock

May 7, 2013
Visit site
'Phone' APN won't give you LTE. You need 'pta' APN for LTE. In order for 'pta' APN to work, your data plan must be LTE data plan.

aaaaand... now I have LTE. Confirmed, coming from a non-LTE device, non-LTE plan provisioned plan, no replacing sim card, no temporarily borrowing phones, etc.

methods

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
It looks like your account is not provisioned for LTE data speeds, only HSPA. Just call them. There shouldn't be any change in your actual plan, assuming you already have a smartphone data plan.

If you been using a feature phone plan, then that's different, and there would be a change.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks but I knew all that already, the point of my post was to show that AT&T is recognizing the N5 as an LTE device.
I'll post back what happened after I call AT&T

Posted via Android Central App

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Went to AT&T store this morning, made sure they put in my IMEI. Got new SIM card. Result was LTE. Those seem key steps, or at least were for me. Hopefully will assist others.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

nicknacknock

May 7, 2013
Visit site
So, you did what? Just call up and change your plan?

Changed my dataplan to LG data plan, before it was the older iphone data plan I had provisioned like 4 phones ago (iphone 3gs). The point is, I never had a LTE device and AT&T recognized my IMEI number on the N5 and changed it plans for me no problem, not only that, but configuring APN actually worked this time.

Beginning of this thread many folks weren't having any luck. Perhaps AT&T got it together late evening/this morning.

EDIT: still using old *** sim card from my iPhone 4 fwiw.

DCad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Changed my dataplan to LG data plan, before it was the older iphone data plan I had provisioned like 4 phones ago (iphone 3gs). The point is, I never had a LTE device and AT&T recognized my IMEI number on the N5 and changed it plans for me no problem, not only that, but configuring APN actually worked this time.

Beginning of this thread many folks weren't having any luck. Perhaps AT&T got it together late evening/this morning.

EDIT: still using old *** sim card from my iPhone 4 fwiw.

Got it. Yeah, I'm using an ANCIENT 2GB data plan that I added MANY years ago and have never had an LTE device. They've recognized that it's an LTE device, as I've received about 5 text messages and 3 emails telling me I need to change the plan. Wife has an iPhone 5, so, I may just switch us to a Mobile Share plan provided they don't make us pay activation fees and whatnot.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Got it. Yeah, I'm using an ANCIENT 2GB data plan that I added MANY years ago and have never had an LTE device. They've recognized that it's an LTE device, as I've received about 5 text messages and 3 emails telling me I need to change the plan. Wife has an iPhone 5, so, I may just switch us to a Mobile Share plan provided they don't make us pay activation fees and whatnot.
You don't have to leave your ancient data plan. Just need to be LTE provisioned. For example, I have my unlimited LTE data plan. Now with free tethering on the N5 (hope Google didn't butcher it), it will be handy for data sharing on tablets.

DCad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to leave your ancient data plan. Just need to be LTE provisioned. For example, I have my unlimited LTE data plan. Now with free tethering on the N5 (hope Google didn't butcher it), it will be handy for data sharing on tablets.

Interesting. Guess I'll call them up, IMEI in hand, and see if they'll just provision my current plan for LTE. Definitely the easiest route.

DCad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
chatted with an ATT agent online to provision my plan for LTE and all is working great..it was painless

Just did the same - See the LTE option in my online profile now, but, I don't see any LTE APNs after rebooting. I'd certainly expect to see that here (Atlanta, GA), so, I guess I'll just keep my eye on it to see if it ever picks it up.

Goodeye

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
That's good to hear. Sounds like ATT got a list of all the IMEIs. I was just going to use an adapter for my nano sim to micro sim so I didn't have to deal with ATT but since it seems all is working ill just get a replacement SIM card in a micro sim form as I won't have a need for the nano sim.

Goodeye

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Just did the same - See the LTE option in my online profile now, but, I don't see any LTE APNs after rebooting. I'd certainly expect to see that here (Atlanta, GA), so, I guess I'll just keep my eye on it to see if it ever picks it up.

Looks for 'ATT LTE APN for android" on google there a ton of sites with walk troughs on adding it :)

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I am using the "Phone" APN and getting LTE. 63ms ping with 13mbps down and 8.5 mbps up. Will I get better speed with a different APN?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Ok, I need correct myself. In early days of LTE phones, AT&T enforces the this separate APN policy between HSPA+ phones and true 4G LTE phones. Now, it seems phone APN will work with LTE as well. In fact, I checked out HTC One X with JB update. It is using 'phone' APN as well. Both will work for LTE but you probably still need LTE data plan. I tested both and there seems no difference at all.

Hotspot/tethering works without any issue on my unlimited data plan. There is no need to pay AT&T anything for tethering.

Battleship

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
did you previously an LTE plan or an LTE enabled device?
Not directed at me, but I can answer. I had the Smartphone 4G plan since the Galaxy SII has not LTE (that was my previous phone). This is what happened when I went to the corporate store in DC yesterday: I was up and running with LTE in about a minute. She scanned my new micro SIM, scanned the IMEI, the phone rebooted and LTE was up and running. I didn't even have to change my data plan at all; I was grandfathered in, so same price, same amount of data, and finally out of contract, too.

My suggestion to anyone trying to do this is that you make sure your rep is familiar with Android. Best of luck to all.

mikejnger#AC

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Whatever you do, do not order a sim online! Go into the store! I ordered mine online on Monday morning and it still has yet to ship. Pretty terrible turn around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze