Help me justify the Nexus 5.

1adam

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
What's really (really... honestly) the significant difference between my current Galaxy S3 and the new Nexus 5?
I'm keen to abort Samsung's restrictions on my O/S and jump to Nexus, but struggling to justify it. Seems like a lot of hysteria for a very slight incremental improvement in device if you sift beyond the jargon.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 - Help me justify

Pure android in my opinion crushes Touchwiz, The new snapdragon 800 is a monster, the screen will make your s3 screen look like its blurry, low power usage, the touchless commands "OK Google" like the Moto X, faster updates always up to date, looks a hell of a lot nicer, its the latest tech! oh and the adreno 330 is a little beast also

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Kinda depends what you are looking for, if your GS3 is working fine and is not "holding you back" then the upgrade might not make sense for you.

That said the N5 is better in virtually every way, every spec is "better" than the GS3 but again it comes down to what you need out of a phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Huge improvement on every aspect of hardware, much better software, longer obsolescence resistance, different camera, less accessories.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

What's really (really... honestly) the significant difference between my current Galaxy S3 and the new Nexus 5?
I'm keen to abort Samsung's restrictions on my O/S and jump to Nexus, but struggling to justify it. Seems like a lot of hysteria for a very slight incremental improvement in device if you sift beyond the jargon.

You better hurry. They will be sold out tomorrow.

Sent from my Moto X!

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Wait for reviews.

There is nothing new phone can do that old one can't. Still, people buy new phones all the time.

I say write down pros and cons for yourself.

@T-Mobile GN3

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

Bought a S3 while my 1st nexus 4 was being "evaluated" b/c i had to have a phone and thought id keep a spare around. Once i got my replacement nexus 4 i dumped the S3 on ebay. First to receive OS updates, no buggy TW or bloatware, fast processor, sssssmmmmooooooooottttthhhhhhh, nicer screen, better radio and NOT having to deal with the carrier or samsung when i had a problem. "its a sure thing gwen" YMMV.

65fastback

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site

as a webos fanboy...i got it because its pure android. i hate modding a phone to get it to a stock, pure os experience. had a couple webos phones and went to a nexus s, then galaxy nexus and now nexus 5.

techmantoo

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

I think everything about the nexus 5 is relatively better than your S3. But to be honest I would be pretty happy with an S3. It really depends on what apps you use. You didn't mention anything on the original post so if you are looking for help you should identify what apps are important to you and what you use your for.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

1. It's not made by Samsung.
2. LCD IPS 445 ppi v. Crapoled display
3. Android ver. 4.4 Kit Kat
4. No Touchwiz
5. Optical Image Stabilization
6. Bigger battery
7. No SD card

Nexus 5 wins in all crucial areas - display, battery, camera. The S3 is not comparable.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

The GS3 has a removable battery and an SD card slot. These features unarguably give the GS3 an advantage over the N5. Whether or not the OP cares about that, we'll find out.

Oh yeah. Un-Arguable. Galaxy S3 > HTC One, G2, Moto X, N4, and, oh yeah - iPhone 5s.

frozencloud

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site

In terms of camera, i think the GS3 had a pretty good camera. For the N5, based off these samples from Phonearena, it's ehh, decent but not great....but let's wait for all the buyers to get their hand on the N5 to put a final verdict on that.

Nexus 5 camera samples appear

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

The GS3 has a removable battery and an SD card slot. These features unarguably give the GS3 an advantage over the N5. Whether or not the OP cares about that, we'll find out.

Anyone considering a Nexus presumably already threw those out the window, but much better battery life and more internal storage (than most S3's sold) should help alleviate that, + tons of free Drive storage, all access music, auto backup, etc (all of that is available on the S3 too, but seems to flow better on stock). However, what I really meant by the hardware improvements is the SOC (processor, gpu), more RAM, much better and slightly larger screen, elimination of the physical buttons, a larger battery, etc. The spec sheet items are better in every category. For those dedicated to the removable battery and/or SD card community, obviously a Nexus isn't even on their comparison list of devices to get because those two spec items seem to typically trump all UX quality discussions for them.

IMO there are probably at least 20 devices that came out after the S3 that beat it hands down, and at least a couple that were better before it dropped.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Oh yeah. Un-Arguable. Galaxy S3 > HTC One, G2, Moto X, N4, and, oh yeah - iPhone 5s.

I personally would not use un-arguable. SD cards to me are great for those people that need them, but they do make much less sense than internal storage. I'd like to see us move to larger internal ssd drives rather than flash someday, but given the risks I'd rather my device not have an SD card slot. It won't stop me from getting a device, but it's not something I want and especially not something that would make me turn down a much better device.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

Newer device with much better hardware.
The GS3 is no dog but the Nexus 5 should be killer.
I good upgrade for the S3 is the S4.
But because Samsung is locking them down and with that KNOX crap, I would go for the N5.

1adam

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Ah f*** it - I'm sold. Just ordered a 32GB black, and my girlfriend a 16GB white :) S3 going on phone recycle giving me back more than half the cost.

P.s. Jairusz..... helpful and welcoming, thanks...
Do your own damn research and come up with your own conclusion.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

Ah f*** it - I'm sold. Just ordered a 32GB black, and my girlfriend a 16GB white :) S3 going on phone recycle giving me back more than half the cost.

P.s. Jairusz..... helpful and welcoming, thanks...

Lol.

Come back after you get it and let us know what your impressions are. Since you really like your S3 would be interesting to hear your opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781