Infrared blaster on the Nexus 5?

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Infrared IR Blaster on Nexus 5?

does the Nexus 5 come with Infrared IR Blaster hardware? i searched and could not find it.

Idts. Kinda odd they put support into Kit Kat but its not on the phone. Next year I suppose.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

I was hoping it would especially since kitkat adds support for it but I dont see anything to suggest it.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I miss walking around bestbuy with my HTC One turning TV's off, especially the ones on the big Samsung displays, childish yes but so much fun, can't remember the apps name but it was great it began with an O

Posted via Android Central App

DSWR

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

I miss walking around bestbuy with my HTC One turning TV's off, especially the ones on the big Samsung displays, childish yes but so much fun, can't remember the apps name but it was great it began with an O

Posted via Android Central App

I'll also miss turning off projectors during lecture. I never actually used it for anything genuinely practical. Just for pranks.

MikeySoft001

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

Sorry for the bad news but IR blasters are going the way of CDs. Many of today's home electronics like TVs and Blu-ray players can connect to your local network and can be controlled by both iOS and Android devices like smart phones and tablets. I've been doing it for over 3 years now.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Lol at ir blasters going away. Funny! Today's 4k tvs have some awesome ir blasters. I suspect they will be relevant in the next five years as well. Any one heard of the company quirky? many new products will be controlled via the WiFi network and a app. Love it!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MikeySoft001

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

I think TVs will still use IR remotes for a while but smart phones and tablets, and even the iPod Touch will control many home electronics like TVs using the local network. It is not cost effective to put IR blasters on mobile device these days.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

Sorry for the bad news but IR blasters are going the way of CDs. Many of today's home electronics like TVs and Blu-ray players can connect to your local network and can be controlled by both iOS and Android devices like smart phones and tablets. I've been doing it for over 3 years now.

Now that I think of it I can already use my Comcast Xfinity App on my old phone and Nexus 7 to change channels or set the DVR to record shows on my TV via Comcast. It works but the remote is simple so I don't care the Nexus 5 doesn't have the IR Blaster.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

They're not going away anytime soon. Especially since almost all cable boxes still use them, as do most TVs.

MikeySoft001

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
IR blasters on mobile devices are going the way CDs are going, As someone already pointed out, he uses his smart phone (without an IR blaster) to control his xfinity cable box. I have been using my mobile devices over WiFi to control my TV and blu-ray players for over 3 years now.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

They're not going away anytime soon. Especially since almost all cable boxes still use them, as do most TVs.

Yup......carefully I choose my words, but those that think ir is gone are getting that information from where?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
IR blasters on mobile devices are going the way CDs are going, As someone already pointed out, he uses his smart phone (without an IR blaster) to control his xfinity cable box. I have been using my mobile devices over WiFi to control my TV and blu-ray players for over 3 years now.

Riiight. Which would totally explain why every major smartphone includes an IR blaster that their predecessor didn't. It would also explain why most cable boxes have them, and won't be getting rid of them anytime soon. Yup, those got' dang IR blasters are going the way of the dinosaur for sure. /S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeySoft001

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
"every major smartphone"? I don't think so. Not the nexus 4/5. Apple's web site does not list ir blaster for the iPhone 5 S/C. You have an iPhone. Does it have an ir blaster, if so, how old is it?

By going the way of CDs, I mean still being used by diehards but are being replaced by newer technology.

Last edited:

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
"every major smartphone"? I don't think so. Not the nexus 4/5. Apple's web site does not list ir blaster for the iPhone 5 S/C. You have an iPhone. Does it have an ir blaster, if so, how hold is it?

By going the way of CDs, I mean still being used my diehards but are being replaced by newer technology.

Your set-top box being hooked into your LAN is not 'replacing' an IR blaster... It is providing you another way to control your device. Imagine your LAN goes down, how will you talk to the set-top box then? An IR blaster being compared to a CD doesn't even remotely make sense since you're comparing apples to oranges.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
"every major smartphone"? I don't think so. Not the nexus 4/5. Apple's web site does not list ir blaster for the iPhone 5 S/C. You have an iPhone. Does it have an ir blaster, if so, how hold is it?

By going the way of CDs, I mean still being used my diehards but are being replaced by newer technology.

Somehow I don't think the millions of S4, G2, HTC One, and dozens of different tablets, owners are 'diehards'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz