Nexus 5 WiFi problem

slikone27

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I just called Google support - 1-855-836-3987 (855-83-NEXUS) to let them know about the issue and forwarded a link to this thread to them in email so they could start looking in to it. Please feel free to call as well because the more of us that call and report this issue the more likely it is to get fixed (and faster)!

slikone27

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I have verified the following 5ghz channels work (albeit very poorly and erratic speed): 36,40,44,48,165 and the following do not: 149,153,157,161. I def think it is a hardware issue with the Nexus 5.

dazzer87

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I have verified the following 5ghz channels work (albeit very poorly and erratic speed): 36,40,44,48,165 and the following do not: 149,153,157,161. I def think it is a hardware issue with the Nexus 5.
My Nexus is fine on channel 161 (Asus RT-N66u) When I first connect to the router Monday night I lost connection within 10 mins, after re connecting to router (making no changes to the setting on the router) I have no issues at all. Co-worker has a Apple Router and Nexus could not see the SSID on 5ghz. He even try to connect to it manually and still cant. He stated he has no issue with 2.4ghz So its looks like the Nexus is having issues with all type of different routers on 5ghz

macleod52

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Something else I noticed last night that just popped into my head, I was streaming a film to my PS3 over wifi and then started to download a few apps on the Nexus 5 over wifi. The Ps3 started to have buffering issues like it's bandwidth had dropped, ended the download on the N5 and the PS3 returned to normal. Never had that with any other device I own. It's a strange one alright.

I was watching a show on Netflix on my 360 and uploaded a video to Facebook using my iPhone 4s and it did the exact same thing. I've also experienced dropped wifi issues on my iPhone 4s. It's not all the time and it only happened (or I only noticed it) after a year of owning it. I don't know if it's the device or possibly my wireless router. The fix for my iPhone is to turn WiFi off and on again.

herciano

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi, in my case, my Nexus 5 didn't recognize my home wifi (2.4Ghz) with a router Technicolor TD5130, and the problem was that I had this with the channel 13, I change it to channel 11, and everything worked fine. :p:D
Bye.

hockey-dad

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I too have an Asus router, the G model, which has worked flawlessly for years. Asus has shown up a few times in this thread. Has anybody checked to see if the latest firmware helps out.

My setup - WL-520gU router running stock ASUS operating software. WPA. not sure of channel.

I am at work now, but when I get home I will check to see if there are any firmware updates, although I did upgrade mine within the last year. If that doesn't help I have an "N" router still in the box that I will try. I really don't want it to be the Nexus because I like that alot.

I have used my Nexus 5 at work and in a restaurant today and reception is excellent. I have also used it in a location at work where my IPod Touch struggled to keep a connection and I was able to flawlessly stream a HD YouTube video so I hope the phone is good and there is an incompatibility with the home router.

I suggest that people post their router setup so that we can find a pattern.

hockey-dad

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I am happy to say that it seems to be a weird incompatibility with the my Asus router that is causing my low range and dropouts. The family is watching videos (shocker) so I don't have "permission" to apply the latest firmware on my Asus G router. I am only one release away from the most current at the moment. I took my spare Tenda N150 router (a cheap Chinese router that I won in a raffle) and actually daisy chained it off of my current Asus router and the range on that one is great. I walked outside and 100 feet down the street and could still reach the internet. No problem at all inside the house. It is not just the jump from G to N because my son's Samsung S3 has no problem anywhere in the house on the Asus, it seems to only be the Nexus that has problems on that.
(oh, by the way, we have 3 Nexus 7s in the house, 1 is the latest version, and have no problems with those.)

daverns

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't have an issue connecting to WiFi, my complain is more on the how the signal goes up an down even if it stays on the same location. It also looks like the signal is weak compared to other devices I have, having it about 50 feet away from the router the difference is about 2 bars and if you look at the connection speed the nexus 5 is about 10 mbps lower or sometimes more. I have the new Netgear R7000 which is an AC router.

Wez Knowles

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick follow up to my previous post. I've been running my new router (Asus DSL-N55U) for a couple of days now and I've not had one drop-out or connection problem. Seems like in my case it was some weird incompatibility between my phone and router.

Posted via Android Central App

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I just called them as well :) They weren't able to help, but I told them I just really wanted to inform them of the problem so we could get a fix. They walked me through the basic steps: turn phone off and on, reset router, forget the network, blah blah blah..

Are you guys getting the orange wi-fi logo like this:

Screenshot_2013-11-10-12-50-50.jpg

meladdin

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I have wifi connection problems, too. My wifi never auto connects to saved wifi spots. The only way to connect is to reboot the phone. When I try to forget and connect again, the wifi status just goes to saved, but never connected. Cycling Airplane mode doesn't work and neither did playing with the wifi advanced settings. Plus, my wifi connection gets dropped, too. I experienced these wifi problems at every wifi spot I've tried so far: home, friend's house, work, bar, etc. So I have to reboot the phone whenever I realize wifi stopped. I am going to call for an exchange since it sounds that the very few of us who have this problem haven't found a fix.

- White 32GB

beachcombers

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I got my phone this morning and my WLAN connection has been dropping intermittently all day. I'm using a Fritz!Box 7390 router btw.

I tried all the things mentioned in this thread with no luck. Then I tried using a Static IP Address and turning the Proxy off, everything else is set to default. So far I've had about 2 hours without a drop.

Has anyone else had any success trying this?

Last edited:

TheDoctor 46

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I just called them as well :) They weren't able to help, but I told them I just really wanted to inform them of the problem so we could get a fix. They walked me through the basic steps: turn phone off and on, reset router, forget the network, blah blah blah..

Are you guys getting the orange wi-fi logo like this:

View attachment 91115

I see that orange WiFi icon quite frequently too.

Posted via Android Central App

Mark Gawler

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
An update on my issue, I received my replacement Nexus 5 this morning, running the old an new side by side the original is showing a much weaker WiFi signal. The replacement can see both my routers an my neighbours router, which is the same as my Nexus 7 :). So in my case the issue with very week signal appears to be down to faulty hardware.

LucidObscurity

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had a problem with my Asus RT-AC66U, but am having problems with the wireless APs at work today. There are 2 APs with the same SSID on different channels on 802.11g. At first it connected, but now will not connect at all. I just got the phone last night, so I'll see if there is a problem with my Asus when I get home, but I don't expect one.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
This isn't an issue specific to the N5. I have the same issue with my transformer prime and acer A100. The wifi signal will be strong and well connected, but the color goes from blue to gray, which means you aren't connected to the internet/cloud. None of my other devices have ever had a problem connecting and maintaining connection. The router is a wrt54gl. I have lived with this problem for a few years now. hadn't heard the suggestion about switching from auto to 2.4. I'll try that tonight.

jeromenumbers

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
glad i found this thread.

my problem isn't hanging onto a connection but more with consistency of speed

on a 75Mbps down/10Mbps up plan - get anywhere from 65-75Mbps down wirelessly and 10Mbps up on my 2013 N7, 5GHz

my N5 can sometimes hit these speeds and then all of a sudden achieve no more than 25 down - but always stays consistent at 10 up. i've changed AC routers and even upgraded to a better modem. still no luck. checked and changed wifi channels, settings, etc. all the same.

sometimes power cycling the modem/router will temporarily fix it. it's ONLY with the N5. my N7 always hits 65-75 down/10 up without fail.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol