Nexus 5 WiFi problem

pauluea

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Picked up my new Nexus 5 at my local Carphone Warehouse this morning. Loving it so far. However I seem to have a pretty major problem when connecting to WiFi networks. I can scan for networks and connect OK but after a few minutes (between 3 and 15) I stop being able to load web pages or even connect to my routers management page (192.168.1.1). The phone still shows a good connection but just doesn't seem to transfer any data. A reboot usually fixes things temporarily but not always. I have tried 3 networks (two 2.4ghz and one 5ghz) and have the same problem on all. Other devices could connect perfectly to these same networks.

Anyone else experiencing similar troubles or do I just have a faulty unit?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Check out this thread and let us know if any of this helps. The last two things which show images may help you.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Jocelyn84

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Picked up my new Nexus 5 at my local Carphone Warehouse this morning. Loving it so far. However I seem to have a pretty major problem when connecting to WiFi networks. I can scan for networks and connect OK but after a few minutes (between 3 and 15) I stop being able to load web pages or even connect to my routers management page (192.168.1.1). The phone still shows a good connection but just doesn't seem to transfer any data. A reboot usually fixes things temporarily but not always. I have tried 3 networks (two 2.4ghz and one 5ghz) and have the same problem on all. Other devices could connect perfectly to these same networks.

Are any of the routers you used wireless AC? I'm specifically interested to know if you used an Asus AC66U, because other phones (S4 (same broadcom chip as the N5), Note 3, etc.,) have had problems with it.

pauluea

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for the link to the tips. I will try them later when I return home. I am using both an Asus N66U and an Asus AC66U.

Paul

Czaxon

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Does it have a notification light?

Wez Knowles

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the exact same issues as you. I'm using a Sky Hub router and after about 10/15 mins nothing will load until an aeroplane mode toggle. 3G seems to work fine. Wasn't sure whether to return it or not.

pauluea

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I got home last night and went to bed leaving my phone on and connected to WiFi. Woke up this morning and to my surprise I could browse the internet normally. It's been a couple of hours now and I'm still connected. Not sure what's changed as I haven't even had chance to try any of the tips given in this thread. Fingers crossed it stays this way as it's an awesome phone!

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
While I don't know if this will work specifically for the Nexus 5 I have had some experience with other devices that had that problem and what seemed to work for me was to restrict the channel width on 2.4 gigahertz to 20 megahertz. If my router was set to auto or to 40 megahertz on the 2.4 gigahertz band, I would have a lot of intermittent connection issues on a variety of devices. Today, I run my router at 2.4 gigahertz using a 20 megahertz channel width and use a 40 megahertz channel with for the 5 gigahertz band and I have no issues with about a dozen WiFi devices in the house.

Wez Knowles

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to speak too soon but I think mine has somehow fixed itself too. It's been working fine for a couple of hours now.

Posted via Android Central App

Wez Knowles

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Yup, I spoke too soon. My WiFi worked fine for about 5 hours then went weird again. I guess I'll be returning it the next time I'm in town again.

Posted via Android Central App

MOG111

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Same problem with my Nexus 5. Connects to the internet for a few minutes then freezes. Switch the wifi, on my phone, off and on again and it works for another few minutes. Its a pain.
I'm using a Netgear VMDG280 router.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Have your tried forgetting the network and entering the passcode again? Lots of threads on Nexus Devices and wifi issues. I remember hearing issues with the Google edition S4 and I went out and bought an Belkin dual band AC router and never had issues. Moto X is also working fine. I guess I will know soon enough as my Nexus 5 is coming this week.

Jon D2

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi guy's

Joined this forum for this thread.

Exactly the same issue, picked up handset from CPW on Friday. Phone is amazing. WiFi is a nightmare.

I think it's the device as I've had the issue on my home wifi, in Starbucks and over the in laws. Browse for a few minutes and then no data exchange between the device and the router. Changed frequency, but did not resolve the issue. Monitored data between router and device and you can see that the nexus 5 just doesn't communicate.

At this time, this thread is the only report of it. But it's gota be a wider issue. Nexus 4 works fine on all 3 networks along with S3 on 2 of them (not tested on Starbucks)

Cheers

Jon

nexus5test

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi Im having the same issue !
My Neus 4 shows 4 bars wifi analyzer shows -52 db
The Nexus 5 shows one bar and -86 db

:( im guessing we have a batch where the antenna not fixed to back of case correctly ??

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys thanks to the poster for adding my video, defo seems to be something up with the wifi on the Nexus 5. I'm not having disconnect issues all fine their my problem is lack of signal strength if i move rooms i can watch the bars drop all other handsets, S4, HTC One, Z1, Note 8.0 all fine. It appears to me the Nexus 5 needs a bit more juice to the wifi to keep the SNR in check. We will know more once some devs can deep dive the device and see how things are setup at the moment. I expect a community based kernel fix before too long. For those suffering connection problems and disconnects check you have the latest firmware for your wifi router most of those issues are related to old firmwares. S4 had a similar problem with Dlink and a few Netgear if memory serves.

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi Im having the same issue !
My Neus 4 shows 4 bars wifi analyzer shows -52 db
The Nexus 5 shows one bar and -86 db

:( im guessing we have a batch where the antenna not fixed to back of case correctly ??

That's possible I suppose sadly no way of knowing without opening her up and I'm not going to be the first to try :)