The Nexus series is one that has intrigued me for a while now, but I always stick with the Galaxy S series since I began using smartphones. I know it is hard to forecast, but will the updates for this device on Sprint come directly from Google or would one have to wait until Sprint pushes it. Haven't decided if I want to jump to the Nexus line or wait until the GS5.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-01-2013 04:14 PM
    Update will be from Google. You should at least wait for review, and then do more research of pros and cons.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-01-2013 04:16 PM
    The Nexus series is one that has intrigued me for a while now, but I always stick with the Galaxy S series since I began using smartphones. I know it is hard to forecast, but will the updates for this device on Sprint come directly from Google or would one have to wait until Sprint pushes it. Haven't decided if I want to jump to the Nexus line or wait until the GS5.

I think the prior Nexus devices on Sprint received updates from the carrier. Though, I could be wrong about that. I suspect the Nexus 5 will be updated straight from Google.
    11-01-2013 04:17 PM
    Update will be from Google. You should at least wait for review, and then do more research of pros and cons.

I am guessing you are saying updates will come from Google based on the fact that you can buy it from the play store and activate on Sprint, since previous nexus phones on Verizon and Sprint have had to have the carrier push the updates if I am not mistaken.

11-01-2013 04:18 PM
    I am guessing you are saying updates will come from Google based on the fact that you can buy it from the play store and activate on Sprint, since previous nexus phones on Verizon and Sprint have had to have the carrier push the updates if I am not mistaken.

Good question, if you can use it on any carrier, how can one carrier stop it's update?

11-01-2013 04:20 PM
    Good question, if you can use it on any carrier, how can one carrier stop it's update?

Because it's available unlocked on more than 1 carrier I believe the device will be updated through Google. it's not going to be 'customized' or loaded with carrier specific apps, there's just no way. Perhaps the devices sold through the retailer could be pre-loaded, which in my opinion, is doubtful.
    11-01-2013 04:26 PM
    I think Google is trying to avoid the carrier runaround like the Galaxy Nexus had.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app
    11-01-2013 04:50 PM
    I think Google is trying to avoid the carrier runaround like the Galaxy Nexus had.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app
    Exactly. The Nexus line should be updated by Google, always. Having carrier intervention just messes up the Nexus experience.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    11-01-2013 05:04 PM