How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Battery degrading due to charging cycle is not a "say", it's a fact.

Go check out battery University's data.

@T-Mobile GN3
I know what they say. But I also know what I see... If those were hard facts than every battery would last about the same. Yet I have batteries that die too soon and others that have literally never failed. What I'm saying is it doesn't matter how you treat a phone battery its going to die or live by the luck of the draw, not by some charging routine.

Also that article you posted list's a half dozen variables with one of the most important being what actual users report regardless of data. One of the things they mention is heat, now that one I believe, keep your batteries cool and they stand a good chance of living long.

The author of this essay does not depend on the manufacturer?s specifications alone but also listens to user comments. BatteryUniversity.comis an excellent sounding board to connect with the public and learn about reality. This approach might be unscientific, but it is genuine. When the critical mass speaks, the manufacturers listen. The voice of the multitude is in some ways stronger than laboratory tests performed in sheltered environments.

That stuff is fine to claim and attempt to do. I find its easier just to do what's easiest and buy a new phone or battery if they go dead. I have been using phones for a pretty long time 1992...Never had a battery stop working, though some have faded. Never had a phone longer than 2 years. So charge how you want when you want. Hope you get a peach...not a lemon.

Last edited:

AaronM1

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I might invest in a battery case soon - although my initial impression is that battery life is better than on the N4.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

pauluea

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Speakers are nowhere near as good as the htc one but are on a par with the Galaxy S4 and Nexus 4. The battery has lasted me all day today and that's with heavy usage as it's still new and I've been playing with it a lot. It certainly seems better than the Nexus 4 but a bit worse than the Galaxy S4. It is too early to be certain though as I've had it less than 48 hrs.

AaronM1

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Speakers are nowhere near as good as the htc one but are on a par with the Galaxy S4 and Nexus 4. The battery has lasted me all day today and that's with heavy usage as it's still new and I've been playing with it a lot. It certainly seems better than the Nexus 4 but a bit worse than the Galaxy S4. It is too early to be certain though as I've had it less than 48 hrs.

The HTC One is obviously sold on the premise that it has 'Beats Audio' and all that malarkey but most of the time I find myself listening to music through headphones or my iMac speakers so I seldom use the phone speakers.

The Nexus 5 is not built specifically for audio, obviously - let's face it, its a developers' phone so it's built to be fast.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
The HTC One is obviously sold on the premise that it has 'Beats Audio' and all that malarkey but most of the time I find myself listening to music through headphones or my iMac speakers so I seldom use the phone speakers.

The Nexus 5 is not built specifically for audio, obviously - let's face it, its a developers' phone so it's built to be fast.

Yeah I use BT for sound almost 100% of the time. Maybe that would change if my phone actually had good loud sound.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I know what they say. But I also know what I see... If those were hard facts than every battery would last about the same.

Obviously individual batteries can be different due to variations of reasons. The discussion of impact of charging cycle on the battery capacity can only focus on the part that is most important and related to the mechanism of the battery.

To confuse the two: factor that are fundamental to Li ion battery, and factors that outside battery mechanism, will not help understanding of the battery.

If you are seriously claiming your naked eyes "feeling" is somehow better than scientific test, I am afraid there won't be anything meaningful to discuss.

@T-Mobile GN3

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
They really need to show screen on time, which also reveals the brightness settings.

My HTC one x can last more than a day too, with 1800mah battery.

Posted via Android Central App

He does....it's in the 5th picture. 3hrs 47mins.

I play with my food

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
He does....it's in the 5th picture. 3hrs 47mins.

I play with my food
With 1 hour and 38 minutes of talk time. On my phone the talk time uses about the same amount of battery as the screen does so I'd say about 5 hours +/- of screen time if you don't talk on the phone at all.
He also had no service for 15% of the time the phone was on, that's about 1 hour and 45 minutes without service, a lot of battery lost there :(

rayden8

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
This is the only video i've found with a very preliminary review of battery. I'm hoping more in-depth reviews produce better results. As of now, my only concern about this phone is the battery.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
With 1 hour and 38 minutes of talk time. On my phone the talk time uses about the same amount of battery as the screen does so I'd say about 5 hours +/- of screen time if you don't talk on the phone at all.
He also had no service for 15% of the time the phone was on, that's about 1 hour and 45 minutes without service, a lot of battery lost there :(

This was my conclusion as well. If my milage is near this I'll be happy enough.

I saw that video in the post above as well and the battery life appeared abysmal. I was not, however, convinced of the author ability to optimize for battery. Did you see the Google Services usage?

stepaul8

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I saw that video in the post above as well and the battery life appeared abysmal. I was not, however, convinced of the author ability to optimize for battery. Did you see the Google Services usage?

What exactly are google play services?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I didn't watch the video but the other post had pretty low Google services drain

Posted via Android Central App

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
What exactly are google play services?

Google Play Services is basically an app you can't uninstall, that controls all of your Google apps, and account data on the phone. It can update apps, uninstall apps, and change app settings in the background. That's why you don't notice updates for apps like Google Play, because they are updated in the background by Google Play Services. It is partially Googles way of letting them update Google services and apps whenever they want instead of the carrier.

Posted from the awesome new Nexus 7

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Thats what they say...I have a GN here with the original battery, It seems as strong now as it was almost 2 years ago. If someone can actually keep track and prove this I would like to see it. I think they wear out after a couple of years no matter what you do. I wouldn't spend a minute worrying about it, or trying to charge less.

Most folks get a new phone and baby it.... After a year they stop worrying about it....After 2 years they use it as a hockey puck, trying to get it to break so they can say..."Look honey its broken, I don't know how it happenned! I need the Nexus 6!! " :D:D

Right now I'm back to babying my GN hockey puck, so it lasts till Tue! lol

I am not babying my GNex until Tuesday. Just using it as normal haha. I too have a Nexus 5 coming in the mail (32 GB black) and a grey Nexus branded case (so sleek!). I am debating on buying a non-brand Qi Wireless charger for work and home off Amazon now or waiting to see what they Nexus one from Google Play will be like (the new one, not the strange Nexus 4 Qi Charger).

kalo88

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
prepared to the disappointed. Nothing will beat HTC when it comes to speakers.

This phone was never touted to compete with it in the audio department, not everyone sits there wanting music blasting at you. Infact, most people I know listen to music/videos through headphones? If I want to watch a film, I go on my computer or tablet not watch it on a 4.7" screen.

jaymojones

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
OP: In regards to battery life, that'll be all over the map until people get them adjusted...Regardless, everyone will say it gets better after a couple of weeks...That translates to "My battery started lasting longer after a couple of weeks because I finally put the ******* phone down".

Lol, true!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk