Nexus 5 is better than the iPhone.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
But if you're already enrolled into Apple's ecosystem, the iPhone is by far the better phone, if you're into Google then Android is the obvious pick.

That's quite sad, with two options, plus Microsoft.

I would hope more independent mobile OSes flourish. Preferably sooner Rather Than later.

@T-Mobile GN3

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
What surprises me is someone I know who has numerous eye problems got an iPhone recently. We were talking and I mentioned I read books on my phone. She was surprised (because she'd only recently gotten her iPhone and hadn't played with it much yet). Then she said, "I can't read small type!" The thing is, if she'd gotten a Note, or a G2, etc, it isn't much smaller than a book and she could adjust the font size. But she doesn't read up about phones so she doesn't know that. IPhones get customers who know less, in my opinion. They think it's the best phone out there when it may not at all be the best device for them.

Sent from my C5170 via Tapatalk 2

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
And I don't completely agree that what you grow up with is easier. I grew up with rotary dial landlines.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
IPhones get customers who know less, in my opinion. They think it's the best phone out there when it may not at all be the best device for them.

That's the power of fashionizing of the brand. To be honest, I see Google on that path too. How many people here head first got N5 without reading any reviews? Like. .. all?

I give credit to Google for selling these for cheap, but people need to understand Google is basically using every user as an potential ad machine. Which is fine for many, i guess.

@T-Mobile GN3

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
That's the power of fashionizing of the brand. To be honest, I see Google on that path too. How many people here head first got N5 without reading any reviews? Like. .. all?

I give credit to Google for selling these for cheap, but people need to understand Google is basically using every user as an potential ad machine. Which is fine for many, i guess.

@T-Mobile GN3

I agree, and of course I'm one of those who bought an N5 before reading reviews.

I dislike Google's effortless capitulation to NSA spying. I'm not a rabid fan of Google or Apple but Android offers a lot more variety in devices. I like plain Android better than extreme bloatware and the price is good. However I really do like lg's more minimal skinning on my Optimus F7. There's a bit more on Q-slide than I use but what I do use I appreciate. So for me, I'd have been happy getting an Optimus G/G Pro too, if I'd known the price had gone down. When I was phone looking in September the price was still over $500 on Amazon.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I agree, and of course I'm one of those who bought an N5 before reading reviews.

I dislike Google's effortless capitulation to NSA spying. I'm not a rabid fan of Google or Apple but Android offers a lot more variety in devices. I like plain Android better than extreme bloatware and the price is good. However I really do like lg's more minimal skinning on my Optimus F7. There's a bit more on Q-slide than I use but what I do use I appreciate. So for me, I'd have been happy getting an Optimus G/G Pro too, if I'd known the price had gone down. When I was phone looking in September the price was still over $500 on Amazon.

I don't know, I kind of think of stock Android like a salad with no dressing. Some people like flavor.

Last edited:

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
What surprises me is someone I know who has numerous eye problems got an iPhone recently. We were talking and I mentioned I read books on my phone. She was surprised (because she'd only recently gotten her iPhone and hadn't played with it much yet). Then she said, "I can't read small type!" The thing is, if she'd gotten a Note, or a G2, etc, it isn't much smaller than a book and she could adjust the font size. But she doesn't read up about phones so she doesn't know that. IPhones get customers who know less, in my opinion. They think it's the best phone out there when it may not at all be the best device for them.

Or some people rather read on a 7/8/10 inch tablet.

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
But if you're already enrolled into Apple's ecosystem, the iPhone is by far the better phone, if you're into Google then Android is the obvious pick. I don't want an iPhone, but as the Chromebook and Nexus tablets aren't suited to my needs as a student, I have a Late-2013 iMac and an iPad 2 instead with a N5 alongside, sure I'm an Apple fan and believe me it's a pain but I'd have the N5 over an iPhone any day.

I use an iPad 4 and an HTC One. Of course my iMac is a little older (08), I am waiting on the new pro. I just wish there was a Photo Stream app for Android.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Even though they continue to sell, I think it is a shame that Apple doesn't offer a larger screen option.

I wanted something with an A7 processor so I have an iPad air coming in on Tuesday but there was no way I am going to go back to a 4 inch screen for a phone.

Sure there are rumors of a 5 inch iPhone coming in but Apple has been on a yearly cycle when it comes to phones.

At the same time with Benchmarks the A7 is incredibly fast but nobody is going to notice. That is were we are at with the current state of Android and IOS.

And it is all incredibly boring.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Even though they continue to sell, I think it is a shame that Apple doesn't offer a larger screen option.

I wanted something with an A7 processor so I have an iPad air coming in on Tuesday but there was no way I am going to go back to a 4 inch screen for a phone.

Sure there are rumors of a 5 inch iPhone coming in but Apple has been on a yearly cycle when it comes to phones.

At the same time with Benchmarks the A7 is incredibly fast but nobody is going to notice. That is were we are at with the current state of Android and IOS.

And it is all incredibly boring.

...but in Apple's eyes they do offer a bigger screen option. Two of them in fact. Now the fact that you can't as easily place voice calls on those two options is annoying to some. Some want an iPhone phablet or at least 5" on their phones. Only the future will tell with Steve not actively dismissing it. iOS and it's not-Androidness would likely molest the experience no matter what size screen it had.

from a '14 Note 10.1

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

@T-Mobile GN3

I'm one that bought the Nexus 5 without looking at any reviews, or even the specs. There are many reasons I no longer look at the reviews of the devices before I buy them now. One is some of them are flat-out wrong, such as the half-day battery life on the Galaxy Gear. The second reason is that reviewers care about different things than I do, such as camera quality and call quality (virtually meaningless to me).

The third reason is that I have used devices from many OEMs now. I somewhat know what to expect from them based on the past devices that I have used. Once I see the launch presentation to inform me of new features, I have a pretty good idea of whether or not I want the device. The fourth reason is that I care about little details such as interoperability of similar devices (S4 and Note 3). Most reviewers don't cater to people who are using both devices at the same time. The last reason that I'll mention here is that I use many apps to enhance the functionality of phones, so the out-of-the-box review state doesn't matter as much to me.

As far as being used by Google, every business is using me for my money, both current and future. Google's method may be slightly different, but this method helps me more than Apple's, Microsoft's or BlackBerry's.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have the iPhone 5S, Moto X, Samsung Galaxy S4 and soon to be Nexus 5. Why limit yourself or say one is better than the other? Have both and enjoy what each platform has to offer.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk HD

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I never said one is better than the other although, if I did, I would think you guys could figure out which one I prefer. I just never understood the argument that the iPhone is easier to use.

Yes, I know the control center addresses some of their issue. I think that's another point for Android because from the beginning the argument has always been iOS is easier to use.

Posted via Android Central App

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Wall of Text...
Would love to read it and see your "opinion" that one is better than the other blah blah blah, each have their good and bad.
To pick ONE company to support imo is just ignorant.
I am going to pick a device that does was I want no matter who makes it, or what OS it has on it.
If Windows Phone OS had Every single app that apple and android already has, you would see microsoft taking a big slice of marketshare.

iOS and OS X will merge in the next year or two and become one OS that isn't anywhere near its peak.
iOS has a email client that is a million times better than android.
Native Visual Voicemail that doesn't have to be off loaded to some 3rd party app.
Cut, Copy and Paste is a million times better on iOS vs android. Period. (as well as dropping a cursor into the middle of a word in the Correct place)

I agree the Nexus 5 is an awesome device.
I want one just like most people, but I am not blind that iOS does some things WAY better than android.
Once iOS and OS X merge then their tablets / phones will no longer be limited to just iOS apps, they will be able to run full desktop programs from a desktop OS that has been around for Years.
Google doesn't have a Windows desktop OS or OS X they can add to their device once power / battery life concerns are no longer an issue.
The best "tablet" on the market is the Surface Pro 2. It's neither android or iOS. it's just too expensive. (and people love to hate microsoft, just like people love to hate some other company)

I believe that Moto X out innovated Apple and iOS this go'round. I sold my iPhone and kept the Moto X.
Android and iOS both are awesome. No one is Wrong or Right for picking either device/OS.
Android has plenty of "little" thing I run into daily using the Moto X that I am like really? google?

You are correct that, for the money, the Nexus 5 is the best device on the market. well.... other than the MOTO X!!!!!!!! :D

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Wall of Text...
Would love to read it and see your "opinion" that one is better than the other blah blah blah, each have their good and bad.
To pick ONE company to support imo is just ignorant.
I am going to pick a device that does was I want no matter who makes it, or what OS it has on it.
If Windows Phone OS had Every single app that apple and android already has, you would see microsoft taking a big slice of marketshare.

iOS and OS X will merge in the next year or two and become one OS that isn't anywhere near its peak.
iOS has a email client that is a million times better than android.
Native Visual Voicemail that doesn't have to be off loaded to some 3rd party app.
Cut, Copy and Paste is a million times better on iOS vs android. Period. (as well as dropping a cursor into the middle of a word in the Correct place)

I agree the Nexus 5 is an awesome device.
I want one just like most people, but I am not blind that iOS does some things WAY better than android.
Once iOS and OS X merge then their tablets / phones will no longer be limited to just iOS apps, they will be able to run full desktop programs from a desktop OS that has been around for Years.
Google doesn't have a Windows desktop OS or OS X they can add to their device once power / battery life concerns are no longer an issue.
The best "tablet" on the market is the Surface Pro 2. It's neither android or iOS. it's just too expensive. (and people love to hate microsoft, just like people love to hate some other company)

I believe that Moto X out innovated Apple and iOS this go'round. I sold my iPhone and kept the Moto X.
Android and iOS both are awesome. No one is Wrong or Right for picking either device/OS.
Android has plenty of "little" thing I run into daily using the Moto X that I am like really? google?

You are correct that, for the money, the Nexus 5 is the best device on the market. well.... other than the MOTO X!!!!!!!! :D

Well imo there is nothing that people on ios can do that I can't but I know a couple of things that I can do that ios can't.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)

maxtarkhov

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
its better than old nexus, and much others android handsets, but not that brilliant in my opinion. i mean, take a look at this for example - 1.3 mp front camera is like 2009 or 10 what's up with this?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

@T-Mobile GN3

How could you read any real phone reviews when even the leaked information on N5 was all over the place? For the last 5 months I have done a Nexus 5 searches almost daily in the news and looked for everything I could find including YouTube. Why I picked the Nexus 5 was it was a quality phone that I could afford and I have got upset with locked phones to network carriers and Phone Manufactures Market prisons. The Nexus 5 is FREEDOM from prison phones for me with a unlocked phone and no contract carriers that I can fire when they sux.

I am still fighting AT&T and Apple to unlock my phone that I paid off over a year ago from AT&T and even got a approval letter from AT&T. Apple claims AT&T is the bad guy and AT&T tells me that Apple is the bad guy. All they want is for me to buy another phone on a locked in contract and don't want me selling my old phone on Ebay.

Last edited: