Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

anon(226560)

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
No it wasn't a bad choice, the only thing is that you overpaid for it. Especially in terms of warranty. My cousin bought a secondhand N4 that was still under warranty and is having issues with it. She's been trying to get it replaced but so far it hasn't been possible.

Sent from Nexus 7

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
As many have repeated, it was not a bad choice but you paid way too much for the N4.
If the price of a device will determine it's eligibility for you, then you didn't make a bad choice to settle on a cheaper phone. But you paid way too much, IMO. Could've found a cheaper N4.

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
No it wasn't a bad choice, the only thing is that you overpaid for it. Especially in terms of warranty. My cousin bought a secondhand N4 that was still under warranty and is having issues with it. She's been trying to get it replaced but so far it hasn't been possible.

Sent from Nexus 7

Warranty (or the lack thereof) is going to be the biggest issue. All things considered, I think it would have been much better to just spend a little bit more on the Nexus 5 and get a much, much better deal.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
For the past couple months I had been looking into an Android device. I got more serious after I updated my iPod Touch 5th Gen to iOS 7 and wasn't very impressed. I wanted an Android device that updates shortly after the new update comes out. So that left me with Nexus 4, the then rumored Nexus 5 and the Google Play editions of the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4. Since I didn't want to spend a lot on a new device I knew it would be the Nexus 4 or Nexus 5.

So on October 31st when the Nexus 5 finally came out I decided I would order that. I didn't get around to placing my order until the next day. Anyways I added the 16GB Black to my cart, set up Google Wallet and looked at the final price before I placed my order. Boy, was I in for a shock. The shipping was around $10 but the tax was $40. So $399 for a device that is supposed to be $349. I knew there would be tax because of the other thread in this forum about purchasing a Nexus 5 on launch day. I wonder why someone living in Maine would be charged so much. After seeing that I hit cancel and emptied my cart.

The reasons that helped me chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5 other than being over-charged on tax were I plan to use it strictly on WiFi so I don't need LTE support, it will get Kit Kat in a couple weeks, it's cheaper and it has had great reviews over the last year it has been available. I know I won't be disappointed.

I know it would have made the most sense to wait a couple of weeks until people had actually received the Nexus 5 because the demand for Nexus 4's would have gone down but I couldn't wait. So I bought a new Nexus 4 on eBay yesterday for $300 and a case on Amazon for $11. So $311 vs $400. Good deal I think.

Anyone think buying a Nexus 4 16 GB was a bad decision just because I didn't want to spend $40 in tax on a Nexus 5 16 GB?

To each his own and 40 dollars is 40 dollars. Its well see spent or well saved and in your case well saved. If you your happy with your choice that's all that matters.

Though don't buy another phone in six months or to year otherwises saving 40 dollars meant nothing.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
It's your choice, I will be surprised if the battery life on my 5 will be a lot better than the 2 days I get from my nexus 4. While it will be refreshing to be able to put my phone on thinks like tables due to the glass back. IMHO the major thing they forgot with the 5 is oozing out of the 4
Sexiness!
Personal choice ofc.
If you keep the phone for a year or two I don't think you will miss much if anything at all. Enjoy your phone

JABacchetta

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I have to reiterate what's already been said here. It baffles me that you'd spend $300 for a Nexus 4, instead of buying the Nexus 5 because of tax. Two points come to mind:

1. If money was the prime reasoning in your decision making, you could have gotten an equally powered phone for a LOT less.

2. Do you plan on keeping the Nexus 4 for at least two years? If not, you didn't really save any money in the long run (assuming you would have kept the Nexus 5 for at least two years). If so, you'll be using a 3-year-old phone, which is perfectly fine as long as you're okay with it.

JABacchetta

May 12, 2012
Visit site
It's your choice, I will be surprised if the battery life on my 5 will be a lot better than the 2 days I get from my nexus 4. While it will be refreshing to be able to put my phone on thinks like tables due to the glass back. IMHO the major thing they forgot with the 5 is oozing out of the 4
Sexiness!
Personal choice ofc.
If you keep the phone for a year or two I don't think you will miss much if anything at all. Enjoy your phone

As you mentioned already, it's personal choice of course. I look at the iPhone and the Nexus 4 designs as being heavily outdated. I much prefer the Nexus 5.

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
it's probably not relevant to this thread as it isnt a nexus 4 to 5 upgrade, I just don't feel it is much of an upgrade maybe 3 gig and a 3100 battery would have made me feel my ?300 was better spent.
The real test will be when I get Kitkat on the 4 I guess.

MikeySoft001

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I got my wife a 16g nexus 4 when Google had it on closeout sale for around $250. I've ordered a 32g nexus 5 for myself and is now in shipping. I paid Google $10 shipping and MA 6.25% sales tax for both.

We both use T-Mobile pay as you go voice and message only and use WiFi for data. We are low users and I like the fact we can carry over minutes when I add money.

So I think what you did was not the best idea.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
People, stop.

If your want to chime in and say op paid to much for n4, don't.

$300 for a brand new phone, that cannot be purchased from Google anymore, is not a bad deal. It will still got kitkat, it still has high ppi, it still saves op $100, which can be used for many things in life.

If you have nothing new to say, skip it.

@T-Mobile GN3

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Since you are looking for opinions, yes you made a bad decision.
If you're looking for potential support of your decision you might consider posting over at the N4 forum.

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The new Nexus 5 might have average battery life or worse. No one knows yet. I'm sure it will be fine though.

Posted via Android Central App
I think the Nexus 5 has the same battery as the LG G2 without the bloatware that I have on my Verizon G2 the Nexus 5 should do better. I can use the LG G2 heavy all day and not drain the battery. That said I had the Nexus 4 and the OP has a good deal it he/she is happy! It's a good phone and does all that's needed. With regular use I could use the Nexus 4 all day on one charge but with heavy use it lasted about half a day. My phones are only subjected to heavy use the first two or three weeks of owner ship so after that time the batteries in the Nexus 5 and 4 are fine. Also while on the subject of batteries. Nexus 4 and 5 support wireless charging which I love and use each night but if the OP is going to get one I would differently go with the Google one for the Nexus 5 of a generic one. The one that came for the Nexus 4 holds the phone up on an angle so the phone always slips off, or it did for me. The phone lays flat on the Nexus 5 charger and even works through my case.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
It was a bad decison, assuming you're going to use this phone for 2 years. You saved $88 which is only about $3.70 a month over the 2 years.
You still got a good phone that will see support for the next couple years (If not from Google then from the Android devs that make custom ROMs), even if you did overspend on it :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze