11-12-2013 06:49 PM
64 123
tools
    Seems like all these reviews are bouncing everywhere, one doesn't like the screen the other does, one doesn't like the camera another does. Cant wait to get mine.
    planoman and ynomrah like this.
    11-04-2013 09:47 PM
    after you look at this video you'll lose all respect for the verge's reviews. they HAMMERED the camera, yet...just watch...

11-04-2013 10:07 PM
    Surprising how much better the Nexus 5 camera does overall in this particular test.
    11-04-2013 10:27 PM
    Chill out? bud i can have any iDevice i want, the wife works for Apple, i was making a point, do you have an inferiority complex? did anyone say anything negative about the iPhone? are you posting this to attempt to protect your purchase? not one place did i say anything derogatory about the iPhone, i just found it bizarre that the reviewer of a well respected tech website drops the name iPhone more than the product he is reviewing, you must find that normal.
    My wife doesn't work for Apple, and I can have any iDevice I want. Did I say that you were derogatory about the iPhone? No. Many reviewers drop the iPhone name because it is the standard to be measured against, and has been since 2007.

If you mention Android devices on the iMore forum people will instantly jump down your throat. Here we encourage talking about the competitors, I see it all the time here, civil conversations about the pros and cons of the iphone vs. "X" Android Device. This may be a forum about android devices, but we aren't blind to the competitors.
    You have that absolutely backwards.
    11-04-2013 11:22 PM
    after you look at this video you'll lose all respect for the verge's reviews. they HAMMERED the camera, yet...just watch...

So, the iPhone leaning Verge review is wrong, but the Android-leaning supersaftv is on the money? /smh
    raichur0xx0rz likes this.
    11-04-2013 11:39 PM

They did not hammer the camera. They said it was inconsistent and disappointing, but that it DOES have flashes of brilliance that they hope google can make a more consistent thing.

Trashing the camera would have been calling it trash and not going to the lengths they did to see what Google was doing to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11-05-2013 12:00 AM
    I'll admit, I'm a little reluctant, to head over there and read it. Their initial hands-on video, on YouTube, absolutely trashed it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    They did not trash it.

Besides, the guy reviewing it is Josh Topolsky, who currently has a Moto X and is a big fan of android. Most of their staff, as a matter of fact, carry an android device as well as an iPhone.

MERCDROID likes this.
    11-05-2013 12:02 AM
    Among lowest battery test results, and inconsistent.

Lol

@T-Mobile GN3
    anon(7820633) likes this.
    11-05-2013 04:29 AM
    Gizmodo says the camera is fine...hates on the speaker but otherwise a good writeup.
    Gizmodo isn't capable of doing consistent in depth reviews. Unlike Verge, Engadget, anandtech (which somehow always get higher, unrealistic numbers than anybody else for any device...), etc, it didn't even run any test on battery life, it just spill out "feelings" randomly.
    11-05-2013 05:23 AM
    My wife doesn't work for Apple, and I can have any iDevice I want. Did I say that you were derogatory about the iPhone? No. Many reviewers drop the iPhone name because it is the standard to be measured against, and has been since 2007.

You have that absolutely backwards.
    Agree to disagree. In my experience on iMore, you open your mouth to question anything Apple does, or say anything that is viewed as negative the few heavy iMore "Geniuses" that troll every article will call you out every time and the Moderators will always back them up. Even when OP was just asking a simple question.
    11-05-2013 08:25 AM
    Gizmodo isn't capable of doing consistent in depth reviews. Unlike Verge, Engadget, anandtech (which somehow always get higher, unrealistic numbers than anybody else for any device...), etc, it didn't even run any test on battery life, it just spill out "feelings" randomly.
    Just throwing it out there. Not saying it is better or worse than others. My best review comes from me...my nexus 5 is out for delivery as we speak!

Sent from my Nexus 7
    klau25 likes this.
    11-05-2013 08:50 AM
    They did not trash it.

Besides, the guy reviewing it is Josh Topolsky, who currently has a Moto X and is a big fan of android. Most of their staff, as a matter of fact, carry an android device as well as an iPhone.

And I would also like to add that he believes Android to be the superior OS as well, per the review. Really don't understand this Apple-bias people are talking about.
    11-05-2013 09:58 AM
    The verge isn't such a great site to visit for reviews. They are always sloppy and inconsistent. Take note of how josh mentioned he was getting inconsistent battery performance.....okay well if that is the case, why would you not allow more time for it to become consistent before posting your review? I'll tell you why, its because it was Monday and they are in the business of click-baiting, not providing solid reviews. Also its worth mentioning no other outlet had problems with the camera...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    ConTejas and MERCDROID like this.
    11-05-2013 11:05 AM
    Well of course it isn't true all the time, the Android forums are a vast place, but in my experience there is more civil cross platform talk here vs. iMore.
    I'd name names and link to threads but don't need to make it personal with those people here. Block lists work great.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    11-05-2013 11:29 AM
    Take note of how josh mentioned he was getting inconsistent battery performance.....okay well if that is the case, why would you not allow more time for it to become consistent before posting your review?
    he did mention Nexus 5 lasted 3.75 hrs in their battery test, lowest he has seen for a while. That battery test usually composed of rotating webpages or videos, it shouldn't take more than 3 days to finish.
    11-05-2013 04:45 PM
    They did not trash it.

In the internet age, anything short of gushing praise for (insert your preferred ideology/device/flavor/etc.) is viewed as bashing, hating, etc. People seem to have lost all reading comprehension ability and don't seem to be understand that a neutral or critical view of a part of something is not bias or bashing. I'd argue that any review that doesn't point out the good with the bad is the most dishonest and biased type of review there is. I've always found The Verge reviews to be pretty balanced. Sometimes they go overboard (as they did in the Nexus 5 quick look video), but generally they are pretty fair.
    klau25 and MERCDROID like this.
    11-05-2013 04:49 PM
    They did not trash it.

That's fair. "Trashed it" was probably not the correct phrase. But, I'll say, I wasn't exactly impressed with their initial hands-on.

I'm not sure, why you brought up the fact that he uses an iPhone, lol. I don't really mind what devices they carry. You can be the biggest fanboy of any alternative platform and still give a more objective hands-on.

11-06-2013 07:08 AM
    In the internet age, anything short of gushing praise for (insert your preferred ideology/device/flavor/etc.) is viewed as bashing, hating, etc. People seem to have lost all reading comprehension ability and don't seem to be understand that a neutral or critical view of a part of something is not bias or bashing. I'd argue that any review that doesn't point out the good with the bad is the most dishonest and biased type of review there is. I've always found The Verge reviews to be pretty balanced. Sometimes they go overboard (as they did in the Nexus 5 quick look video), but generally they are pretty fair.
    The Verge isn't normally my first choice for hands-on or review videos or articles. So, maybe I did overreact. But, I'm no blind fanboy. The video just seemed negative, is all. I was going to buy the Nexus 5, anyway. I knew what I was getting myself into.

11-06-2013 07:13 AM
    - - - Updated - - -

Yup MERCDROID thats iVerge
    11-06-2013 08:31 AM
    The Verge isn't normally my first choice for hands-on or review videos or articles. So, maybe I did overreact. But, I'm no blind fanboy. The video just seemed negative, is all. I was going to buy the Nexus 5, anyway. I knew what I was getting myself into.

Yup MERCDROID thats iVerge
    11-06-2013 08:32 AM
    LOL oh yes especially me. I think I'm one of the only die hard Nexus fans that doesn't have the slightest clue how to "flash a Rom". Hopefully I said that right!
    Close...it's "Flash your mom."
    11-06-2013 09:24 AM
    he did mention Nexus 5 lasted 3.75 hrs in their battery test, lowest he has seen for a while. That battery test usually composed of rotating webpages or videos, it shouldn't take more than 3 days to finish.
    It also hurts phones with larger screens and smaller batteries. Real life isn't going to be 100% brightness, smashing the processor, and screen-on (or whatever it is they have setup there). Most people want to know what average use will get me -- 2-3 hours screen on, 10-11 hours away from charger, LTE on, wifi off, etc. To me, that's real life on the go, not their "loop test". It will always benefit phones like the 5S that have less pixels, smaller screen.
    11-06-2013 09:30 AM
    I wonder how the shots compare in the stock camera app vs 3rd party apps.

Posted via Android Central App
    From the few I've taken to compare, regular shots aren't different using Camera Zoom FX or the stock camera app. The stock app is muddier and has more trouble focusing, but Camera Zoom isn't much better.

The HDR+ shots seem to come out decently though. I'll keep snapping and do a comparison between different apps if people are interested
    11-06-2013 09:59 AM
    For what it's worth, Engadget had similar things to say about the camera performance. They were not as hard on it as The Verge, but they also reported inconsistent performance and shutter lag that made getting clear action shots difficult. They liked the "HDR+" mode, though.
    Ry likes this.
    11-06-2013 10:44 AM
    While I think the Verge review of the camera seems a bit out of wack compared to other reviews out there about the camera, I'm glad Josh Topolsky went at Google hard about it. Hopefully this means the 4.4.1 update will bring significant camera improvements to the speed and quality. Google says it's software -- so let's see it get fixed.

Hopefully, it'll bring better battery optimization, too. Seems like reviews across the board are more or less consistent with the notion that the battery is only decent.
    Biggnaa20 likes this.
    11-06-2013 11:29 AM
64 123