The verge Nexus 5 review

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you mention Android devices on the iMore forum people will instantly jump down your throat. Here we encourage talking about the competitors, I see it all the time here, civil conversations about the pros and cons of the iphone vs. "X" Android Device. This may be a forum about android devices, but we aren't blind to the competitors.

Oh how I wish this were actually true.

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
to a person like me that has endured just carrier phones all my life with little official update help from the OEMS this is bliss. My first Nexus device period and it will get updated a lot more than I'm use too. It even got an 125mb update before I could set it all the way up. Makes me shed a tears of joy. :'(

Wiggy0211

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Gizmodo says the camera is fine...hates on the speaker but otherwise a good writeup.

Nexus 5 Review: The Best Android Can Offer (Especially For the Price)

Sent from my Nexus 7

Have opposite thought. I think the speaker sounds very clean and pretty robust for a phone. Not super loud tho... but prob can be cranked up with an app if you'd like. The camera needs an update, period. Google even said as much. The shutter is too laggy and the app prob needs a facelift. Wish they could get closer to right the first time but oh well. Still love this thing.

R1der2002

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Seems like all these reviews are bouncing everywhere, one doesn't like the screen the other does, one doesn't like the camera another does. Cant wait to get mine.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Chill out? bud i can have any iDevice i want, the wife works for Apple, i was making a point, do you have an inferiority complex? did anyone say anything negative about the iPhone? are you posting this to attempt to protect your purchase? not one place did i say anything derogatory about the iPhone, i just found it bizarre that the reviewer of a well respected tech website drops the name iPhone more than the product he is reviewing, you must find that normal.

My wife doesn't work for Apple, and I can have any iDevice I want. Did I say that you were derogatory about the iPhone? No. Many reviewers drop the iPhone name because it is the standard to be measured against, and has been since 2007.

If you mention Android devices on the iMore forum people will instantly jump down your throat. Here we encourage talking about the competitors, I see it all the time here, civil conversations about the pros and cons of the iphone vs. "X" Android Device. This may be a forum about android devices, but we aren't blind to the competitors.

You have that absolutely backwards.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
after you look at this video you'll lose all respect for the verge's reviews. they HAMMERED the camera, yet...just watch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp6clWG-b5c

They did not hammer the camera. They said it was inconsistent and disappointing, but that it DOES have flashes of brilliance that they hope google can make a more consistent thing.

Trashing the camera would have been calling it trash and not going to the lengths they did to see what Google was doing to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'll admit, I'm a little reluctant, to head over there and read it. Their initial hands-on video, on YouTube, absolutely trashed it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mobile Nations mobile app

They did not trash it.

Besides, the guy reviewing it is Josh Topolsky, who currently has a Moto X and is a big fan of android. Most of their staff, as a matter of fact, carry an android device as well as an iPhone.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Gizmodo says the camera is fine...hates on the speaker but otherwise a good writeup.

Gizmodo isn't capable of doing consistent in depth reviews. Unlike Verge, Engadget, anandtech (which somehow always get higher, unrealistic numbers than anybody else for any device...), etc, it didn't even run any test on battery life, it just spill out "feelings" randomly.

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
My wife doesn't work for Apple, and I can have any iDevice I want. Did I say that you were derogatory about the iPhone? No. Many reviewers drop the iPhone name because it is the standard to be measured against, and has been since 2007.

You have that absolutely backwards.

Agree to disagree. In my experience on iMore, you open your mouth to question anything Apple does, or say anything that is viewed as negative the few heavy iMore "Geniuses" that troll every article will call you out every time and the Moderators will always back them up. Even when OP was just asking a simple question.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Gizmodo isn't capable of doing consistent in depth reviews. Unlike Verge, Engadget, anandtech (which somehow always get higher, unrealistic numbers than anybody else for any device...), etc, it didn't even run any test on battery life, it just spill out "feelings" randomly.

Just throwing it out there. Not saying it is better or worse than others. My best review comes from me...my nexus 5 is out for delivery as we speak!

Sent from my Nexus 7

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
They did not trash it.

Besides, the guy reviewing it is Josh Topolsky, who currently has a Moto X and is a big fan of android. Most of their staff, as a matter of fact, carry an android device as well as an iPhone.

And I would also like to add that he believes Android to be the superior OS as well, per the review. Really don't understand this Apple-bias people are talking about.

ynomrah

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The verge isn't such a great site to visit for reviews. They are always sloppy and inconsistent. Take note of how josh mentioned he was getting inconsistent battery performance.....okay well if that is the case, why would you not allow more time for it to become consistent before posting your review? I'll tell you why, its because it was Monday and they are in the business of click-baiting, not providing solid reviews. Also its worth mentioning no other outlet had problems with the camera...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp6clWG-b5c&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well of course it isn't true all the time, the Android forums are a vast place, but in my experience there is more civil cross platform talk here vs. iMore.

I'd name names and link to threads but don't need to make it personal with those people here. Block lists work great.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Take note of how josh mentioned he was getting inconsistent battery performance.....okay well if that is the case, why would you not allow more time for it to become consistent before posting your review?

he did mention Nexus 5 lasted 3.75 hrs in their battery test, lowest he has seen for a while. That battery test usually composed of rotating webpages or videos, it shouldn't take more than 3 days to finish.