Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
So I'm getting impatient waiting for my sim card to arrive in the mail and I already have my Nexus in hand. Target sells the Brightspot micro sim card for $10 in store. Does anyone have experience or believe that these will work to activate the $30 prepaid plan on my phone?

You cannot get the Tmobile Prepaid plan with that sim. It is for Brightspot service.

DefinedByClass13

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
You cannot get the Tmobile Prepaid plan with that sim. It is for Brightspot service.

I called T-Mobile and they told me the same thing. Thanks. I guess I'll head over to Walmart (this shows how impatient I'm being) and get their kit since it already includes a micro sim card.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
How much does it cost to activate online? I was just in a TMO store and they wanted to charge $10 for a sim activation kit even though I already had a sim card. They said it's not really the card, it's the activation that costs $10. Is that true?

It doesn't cost anything to do the activation online but you do need the activation number so if you don't have one you need to order or buy an activation kit. Usually online you can get a free sim or 99 cent sim (didn't look what it is right now) on the tmobile website if you have not already gotten some in the last year. Otherwise it is $10 on their website.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't cost anything to do the activation online but you do need the activation number so if you don't have one you need to order or buy an activation kit. Usually online you can get a free sim or 99 cent sim (didn't look what it is right now) on the tmobile website if you have not already gotten some in the last year. Otherwise it is $10 on their website.

I received a micro sim card from the tmobile.com store and it was 100% free. Ships via UPS

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
How do I transfer from one sim to another? I have the Gnex gsm and it doesn't use the same sim card as the nexus 5 so how do I go about just transferring my plan and number to the new sim?

You can go to a store and they will do it for you or if you already have a new sim you can call customer service and they will transfer your number over to it. Alternatively, you can cut your existing sim to fit. There are instructions many places online if you want to do that and many stores will do that as well. But if you have a new micro sim already, just call or go into a store to get it taken care of.

I guess postpaid folks can do it online themselves here: Manage Sim but that link doesn't work for me prepaid on the plan this thread is about.

Last edited:

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I received a micro sim card from the tmobile.com store and it was 100% free. Ships via UPS

I got a free one too but I think there is a limit to 2 per year or you pay full price ($10). I don't know if they track that by credit card or address/phone number or what but I'm sure most people can find a way around the limit if they really wanted to.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
You can go to a store and they will do it for you or if you already have a new sim you can call customer service and they will transfer your number over to it. Alternatively, you can cut your existing sim to fit. There are instructions many places online if you want to do that and many stores will do that as well. But if you have a new micro sim already, just call or go into a store to get it taken care of.

I guess postpaid folks can do it online themselves here: Manage Sim but that link doesn't work for me prepaid on the plan this thread is about.

I suppose I will just have to call... :(

DefinedByClass13

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Did anyone activate via the Sim Starter Kit from Walmart, which includes a micro sim and $30 of service? I don't see a pin number on the receipt, so I'm assuming that the credit is attached to the activation code? I called T-Mobile support but since my number is currently being ported in, that's all the information they have. I can't register for a My T-Mobile account until the port goes through, so my $30 credit is up in the air until then. I just want to make sure this is all normal.

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the credit is attached to the activation code which was the reason why I couldn't use the self checkout and had to go to the traditional cashier and he had to do some special mumbo jumbo scanning in order for me to make the purchase.

flipoff

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Just so people know, porting could take a while. I was almost certain something was wrong when nothing had happend a full 23 hours after I submitted the port request, but then my port succesful text message came through.

Wiggy0211

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Did the $40 Walmart kit last night... couldn't wait any longer for free Tmobile sim in mail. I was surprised at how fast and smooth it went. It was basically instantly that the account was credited and phone had service ready to go. And so far I'm impressed at the coverage. I have terrible signal in office on Gnex Verizon and excellent now on tmob N5. Prob the Gnex fault but still pretty neat. Now I'm trying to decide to port # to tmobile or google voice.. google voice seems intimidating :-/

DefinedByClass13

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Did the $40 Walmart kit last night... couldn't wait any longer for free Tmobile sim in mail. I was surprised at how fast and smooth it went. It was basically instantly that the account was credited and phone had service ready to go. And so far I'm impressed at the coverage. I have terrible signal in office on Gnex Verizon and excellent now on tmob N5. Prob the Gnex fault but still pretty neat. Now I'm trying to decide to port # to tmobile or google voice.. google voice seems intimidating :-/

Same here, except I had an issue with porting my number over, that didn't get resolved until just now. So luckily, I'm now up and running on this plan (previously on Ting.)

I've tried looking for this information, but I've read too many threads on here to remember. Does anyone have the APN settings for T-Mobile prepaid? I want to make sure everything is correct. I'm currently on HSPA but coverage map shows strong LTE signal all over my area.

Wiggy0211

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I didn't even know APN settings were a concern till I saw that flier in the kit. I haven't done anything with it but I am seeing LTE next to the data strength round house and office so not sure if I need too...? Like to know what you find out^

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
i didnt do anything either with APN settings. no issues. im glad ppl here had no issues activating. my experience was so terrible it nearly soured me on TMO for good. kept getting an error saying the IMEI was invalid after checking it dozens of times. finally i walked away for 30 minutes or so and for the hell of it submitted it once more. went through. so freaking random. in all it took prob an HOUR to activate a damn prepaid sim card...

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I've been using this plan with my Nexus 4 for a while now. Popped the SIM into my Nexus 5 and everything works fine. Picked up LTE immediately too. :D

That's good to hear, as I have a N5 on order (selling my N4 to Gazelle).

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
That's good to hear, as I have a N5 on order (selling my N4 to Gazelle).

Mine picked up LTE immediately too, and I couldn't be happier with reception I'm getting.
I would occasionally drop to HSPA at my suite (just for a brief few minutes, few times per day) on my S4 and that hasn't happened at all with my Nexus 5 so far.

10ql7dk.jpg

Solid full bars of LTE all the way.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Yup, LTE is good with this phone. I ported my land line number to the $30 plan last year for the N4. Simply put the SIM in the N5 yesterday and all is well...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes