11-20-2013 09:45 PM
54 123
tools
    With the N4 also getting KitKat the two big improvements I was hoping for from the N5 over the N4 were battery life and camera.
    Battery life is definitely better. I got 5 hours 40 minutes of screen time, with screen on full and LTE on as well. That was with light use, but the phone was not idle (half hour playing Candy Crush, an hour of book reading, and some email and IMing). This is on stock.

On camera, it sounds like Google has managed to make some improvements to the camera hardware with OIS. However, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the big boost, HDR+, will also be coming to the N4 with KitKat.
    LOL...I hate to burst your bubble (not being sarcastic...I was expecting a big improvement too) but I have Kit Kat on my Nexus 4 right now. I installed the factory image. The UI has the cool transparency features...it does look like the Nexus 5. But it still does not have Nexus 5 smoothness and no, the camera is NOT better. I took some test shots in low light, and there the difference is especially apparent. Lots of grainy mess in the Nexus 4 still. The OIS on the Nexus 5 keeps it noise free, even without HDR. hardware matters.

I took these photos as a direct comparison. Judge for yourself:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ml#post3236128

On battery life, why of why couldn't have Google learned from the relatively atrocious N4 battery life and given people the option of getting the LG G2s 3,000 mAh battery with the N5?
    The ideal solution IMO is just to have removable batteries...then people can upgrade or not themselves. Google is still being obstinate about this and I don't expect it to change at this point. The G2 really is better in every way. Too bad it has a fugly case and crappy UI/skin. It is like cooking the perfect steak and then dropping it on the floor heh heh.

A vanilla android version of the Korean G2 is really the closest thing to a perfect phone I think we can get right now.

To hear that the N5 offers basically the same subpar battery performance as the N4 is a major, major letdown.
    I have both phones. No, it is not as bad as the Nexus 4. It is comparable to the Moto X according to several users on here who have both. As with any phone, battery life depends on use though.

In conclusion, if you only need 16GB of storage what are you left with in terms of differences between the N4 and N5?
    - Better camera (significantly better for lowlight and flash)
    - Significantly faster CPU (and you see this in the UI)
    - Better battery life
    - Better display (not just resolution...it is not as washed out as the nexus 4 either)
    - LTE
    - USB OTG that works

Try getting any of these shots with the Nexus 4. Good luck.

There are more where those came from. Check out the photo thread. http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...houghts-5.html
    smileman likes this.
    11-18-2013 09:43 AM
    And don't get me wrong, I think the N5 is a really good value and a pretty compelling phone for most people.

But for N4 owners who were hoping to see significant upgrades in the battery and camera department, as well as still have an LTE worldphone, I find it disappointing.
    As an N4 owner, and someone who really loved the N4, I can tell you I don't regret buying the N5. It is like what the N4 would be if google fixed all the major things I didn't like about it.

I especially do not miss the back glass on that thing. That was an awful design decision. It made the phone feel more fragile than it really was.
    JJDigitized likes this.
    11-18-2013 09:50 AM
    -Very positive comments about the improvement in the N5's screen over the N4. I didn't expect this with all the talk on how people really can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p screens. But a lot of people commented on the crispness of text on the N5, and I do a ton of reading on my N4 so this is a big potential benefit.
    The difference was a lot smaller for me, because I had rooted it and installed the Franco Kernel, so I could fix the awful calibration the stock Nexus 4 had. Once I did that, the display looked a lot better. Still not as good as the N5 though.

IMO the jump from WVGA to 720 was a lot more noticable than the jump from 720 to 1040. But I can still see a difference. On a 1040p display you cannot see any pixels, even holding it to your nose, and that is just awesome.

-OIS and HDR+ do seem to make the camera a step-up, and per the The Verge's report that Google is working on a software fix I have faith it will get even better. Although it's not clear to me whether the N4 will also get HDR+? Still, OIS and the larger BSI sensor are probably worth it.
    Nexus 4 does have HDR on Kitkat. No, it does not really help.

The main criticisms of the N5 camera have to do with shutter speed and the software.
    11-18-2013 09:58 AM
    Well, volte-face.

I broke down an ordered the international version of the N5 last week. I wasn't fully committed to purchasing it yet as the wait time was showing 4-5 weeks. I just wanted to get my order in the queue and decide later. But today, one week after ordering, I received notice that my order had shipped! And I've decided I'm going to keep it.

The additional reviews that came out since I originally made this post that tipped the scales for me are:

-Alex Dobie's and the AC team's report that the N5's battery is close to the HTC One. That does sound like a step-up from the N4.

-Very positive comments about the improvement in the N5's screen over the N4. I didn't expect this with all the talk on how people really can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p screens. But a lot of people commented on the crispness of text on the N5, and I do a ton of reading on my N4 so this is a big potential benefit.

-OIS and HDR+ do seem to make the camera a step-up, and per the The Verge's report that Google is working on a software fix I have faith it will get even better. Although it's not clear to me whether the N4 will also get HDR+? Still, OIS and the larger BSI sensor are probably worth it.

-Reduced battery drain when listening to music. I use my smartphone for music a lot so this could also really help battery life.

-Having a noticeably lighter phone will be nice.

-LTE, while not an option for me right this second, is just around the corner and I know I'm going to want that.

Bottom line: I have a serious weakness for Nexus phones. :-) I was fooling myself thinking I could resist upgrading to the N5.
    Good, good. *wrings hands in a malevolent manner*
    11-18-2013 10:16 AM
    -Alex Dobie's and the AC team's report that the N5's battery is close to the HTC One.
    well, he was misleading people then. On GSMarena's test, Nexus 5 got 16hr talk, 5hr web, 6hr video. compares to HTC one, 13.5hr talk, 10hr web, 10hr video.

The difference is quite large, I don't know what test AC team did to make that report.

This is the place editors need to be careful and don't let the feeling overwhelm the responsibility, recommending a smartphone will cost customers several hundred bucks, it is not the place to be making unsupported statements.
    11-19-2013 07:08 AM
    Yes, battery and camera could've been improved but a larger 1080p screen and LTE alone make it a huge upgrade for me. I passed on the N4 due to LTE.
    Imo cell tower speed is useless in most tech aplications. If you don't have unlimited data what does it matter if its lte or 2g or 3g?

This thread is in unacceptable condition; UNACCEPTABLE....
    SSgS|||_2_DroidCentral
    11-19-2013 07:29 AM
    Coming from an N4, I think the Nexus 5 has a better camera. Not a perfect camera, but better than the N4. And the battery life, at least on my N5, is MUCH better than it was on my N4. That alone was reason enough to upgrade.

But I will say that, as nice as the screen on my N5 is, I really don't notice much difference between it and the screen on my N4. I think both are great. And 1080p vs. 720p is a pretty small difference on such a small screen.
    11-19-2013 12:26 PM
    Coming from an N4, I think the Nexus 5 has a better camera. Not a perfect camera, but better than the N4.
    I did a direct comparison here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ml#post3236128

There is no way the Nexus 4 could have taken those night shots above. it would have been a grainy mess. Check out the rest of those images in that thread...the Nexus 5 camera is way underrated. It is comparable to any Android or iOS flagship phone camera out right now.
    11-19-2013 01:03 PM
    Imo cell tower speed is useless in most tech aplications. If you don't have unlimited data what does it matter if its lte or 2g or 3g?
    Well its a good thing I have unlimited data.
    11-19-2013 03:30 PM
    I agree with you OP. If I had a Nexus 4 I would not get the 5 for those reasons mentioned even though battery life and the camera are slightly better, but LTE without having to deal with workarounds would be enough to get me to update. I think it's a good thing that the new generations are phones are becoming less and less better than previous generations. It's hitting the point of technology being able to do most of the big things, and it's just the small things here and there that need to be improved.
    11-19-2013 03:35 PM
    I wouldn't update from n4 to n5 just because it ruins the value of the n4 to only get one year of use.

That said, LTE is a "can't go back" kind of upgrade. Not quite dial-up to DSL, but closer than you would expect.
    11-19-2013 03:41 PM
    I don't regret updating to the N5 from the N4. It's much, much faster, the screen is much easier to read outdoors, I find the camera better (hated the N4 camera), and I almost have enough space to store my content with 32GBs (the 16GB N4 didn't give me nearly enough space).

Granted, there are some issues with what is probably due to the first production run (an exchange services battery drain which had me switch to Aqua Mail until they get fixed, and my vibration/haptic feedback doesn't seem to want to work right), the signal reception hasn't improved (which was one of my main gripes with the N4), and I never tried the N4 under KitKat to know how it performs

But like I said, even with all this, I don't regret getting the N5. Just too many hardware improvements that software can't fix.
    Dennis Gibson likes this.
    11-19-2013 04:18 PM
    I don't regret updating to the N5 from the N4. It's much, much faster, the screen is much easier to read outdoors, I find the camera better (hated the N4 camera), and I almost have enough space to store my content with 32GBs (the 16GB N4 didn't give me nearly enough space).
    And it must have just about killed Google to admit that 8 gigs isn't enough for a phone. They don't want us using local storage.
    11-19-2013 04:41 PM
    I bought the n4 a few months ago when it was on sale, but the camera was a step back from the S3... I thought I could make 12months and skip the N5, but what the heck.

At $400 (really 200-250 after I sell my n4), and planning on switching to net10 or straight talk and saving $25 a month... I could justify the upgrade.

I'm hooked on the Nexus experience in terms of software and want the improved camera. Especially with the Holidays coming. Lots of family and friend pictures to take.

Maybe I'll hold the n5 more than a year... Guess we will see what next year brings ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    11-19-2013 08:57 PM
    There must be something wrong with my phone then -- the battery and camera seem like a great upgrade from my Nexus 4.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Dennis Gibson likes this.
    11-19-2013 09:01 PM
    I wouldn't update from n4 to n5 just because it ruins the value of the n4 to only get one year of use.

That said, LTE is a "can't go back" kind of upgrade. Not quite dial-up to DSL, but closer than you would expect.
    Root. Enable LTE on your phone. Problem solved
    11-19-2013 10:15 PM
    When a new Nexus comes out, I just HAVE to buy it.
    Started with the gnex. Was good at first, then the flaws start dawning on you. The poor radio, poor camera, abysmal battery life.

Then the n4. Better everything. Best of all the n4 got me away from vzw. Cut my bill in half. Nuff said.

Now the n5. I studied both screens and n5 is sharper, clearer better. Camera, battery is better. LTE is big time.

Bottom line, every generation gets better. Who doesn't like a better phone?

Sent from my HammerHead ()
    11-19-2013 10:42 PM
    Root. Enable LTE on your phone. Problem solved
    Sort of. You only get band 4. And updating becomes a pain. But, yeah, it can be done.
    11-19-2013 11:27 PM
    Ref the OP's point on the OIS quality and its effect on video recordings: I too came to the same conclusion, particularly after being blown away by the judder free video recording on the Lumia 925 (also with OIS).

The N5 appears to stutter along quite badly. However, on closer inspection, the culprit appears not to be the OIS but the auto focus. It seems to be forever hunting for the correct setting, giving the video a juddery quality. Once you see this it becomes easier to see that the OIS is actually doing a pretty decent job, but is being undermined by the auto focus.

I'm hopeful that this is an issue Google will address. Auto focus is the single biggest problem with the N5 camera (both video and still), for my money.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-20-2013 02:14 AM
    I love my Nexus 5, but understand if anyone passes due to the camera experience. It's not bad, but it could be better, especially in light of Google's promise to end poor camera experiences on the Nexus line.
    Fancy seeing you here.

11-20-2013 04:07 AM
    Just under 12 hours of use with the N5 and already very happy to have made the jump from the N4.

Boy does the N4 screen look awful in comparison! So far I have to agree with JR, the display is the biggest reason to upgrade:

Nexus 5 vs. Nexus 4: Worth the upgrade? | Computerworld Blogs
    11-20-2013 07:27 AM
    Fancy seeing you here.

Likewise.
    11-20-2013 08:15 AM
    The N5 appears to stutter along quite badly. However, on closer inspection, the culprit appears not to be the OIS but the auto focus. It seems to be forever hunting for the correct setting, giving the video a juddery quality. Once you see this it becomes easier to see that the OIS is actually doing a pretty decent job, but is being undermined by the auto focus.
    Yeah, the auto-focus is obnoxious, and not just for video. But so many people are complaining about it, I am confident Google will fix it.
    11-20-2013 09:45 AM
    Wait so can I just confirm, have you used a Nexus 5 or just watched a few reviews on youtube?

I find the camera to be VERY good, I can zoom in on photos and there's no noise and it's extremely clear...the camera has far exceeded what I expected to be honest.
    I'm not having an issue with battery life, I can go all day and still not have to charge it.
    I haven't had issues with the battery either. I went over a day on one charge.
    11-20-2013 10:16 AM
    Likewise.
    Do you think you have a likelyhoid of keeping the Nexus 5?

11-20-2013 06:42 PM
54 123