How to change default SMS app?

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
In settings, the only choice I see is Hangouts, although I've installed Textra, Chomp SMS, 8sms, etc. Anyone able to do this? Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
In settings, the only choice I see is Hangouts, although I've installed Textra, Chomp SMS, 8sms, etc. Anyone able to do this? Thanks.

You typically have to set messaging apps as the main messenger from within the app itself. And then turn off notifications for all the other apps in their settings. It's not the same as setting a default browser or gallery app.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Seems like the choice would be made here in settings. There's a radio button so other options can be selected, but no other apps appear.
ujatepap.jpg

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

por favor amigo can you please test MightyText + Hangouts + PC Chrome Extension? do you get duplicate sent messages on Chrome?

thanks!

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Maybe existing SMS apps need to be updated for kitkat in order for each to appear in the "Default SMS App" selection in settings? Anyone know?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Edit: SMS apps need to be updated to use the 4.4 API.

Last edited:

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
You can still only get notifications to a third-party app (Textra, GO Sms, etc.) the old fashioned way.
Those apps will have to update with support for 4.4 to be included in that list.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Handcent seems to be the only additional app I can get to show up in the list of default options. Perhaps for reasons already stated.

5ere8y4e.jpg

Gowthami Ram

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
how u get your application in default sms page. what all are the permission and code i have to write for that.
please can you help me with some code.
Thank you so much for your replay.

chanell7

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I don't have default sms anywhere in my settings I even checked wireless & networks :( I have a Blu Life View Smartphone, android version 4.2.1 can anyone help me?