Coming from G2... very dissapointed.

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Well I knew the g2 was a bit better as far as battery and camera... I did not expect the screen on the G2 to be so much better than the nexus. I have the same exact image as the wallpaper on both.. on the G2 the water is blue as it is supposed to be... on the Nexus it is a washed out almost teal color. The g2 just kills the speaker on the nexus as well.

I can deal with the smaller battery... I supposed I can live with the weaker speaker.. but I don't know about this screen. The only real benefit I'm seeing so far by using this nexus is the extra money I'll make after selling my G2 but now I'm really second guessing myself and considering keeping the g2 afterall and returning this nexus. Seriously dissapointed in this screen. Not to mention the 3 different places I have light leakage.

Anyway.. hate to come in here and just ***** about the phone but if you check my post history I've never complained about a phone like this when I first got it.. usually I think it's the greatest thing every when I first get it set up. If I could take the back off the nexus and slap it over that crappy plastic on the back of the g2 I think I'd have a perfect device. That and add kitkat.

Cyberguycpt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Everyone's different. I thought about getting the G2 also. But hated the the back design. The Nexus feels so good in the hand , I almost want to have it without a case lol... Also with the G2 I didn't like the video quality , I don't know I just didn't. Maybe you perspective is a little warped because your coming from two high end devices.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I was in the Sprint store and compared my Nexus to the G2 they had on display just because I knew they were "Sister" devices... I thought the screen difference was minimal at best. Depends on your perspective I guess... G2 was a little bigger of course and seemed ever so slightly more crisp. My wife just upgraded to a HTC One and I think the two screens are on par with each other.. The Nexus feels good in the hand and I agree the rear controls on the G2 would take some serious getting use to... Not to mention I like Google's "Vanilla" android vs any skin... I do think the Nexus is a little bit on the cheap side construction wise. I thought my GS3 actually felt less cheap in the hand than the Nexus... I think the N5 does feel a little fragile... but I wouldn't trade back to the GS3 or to a GS4 or the G2.... the guts are top notch and the software is by far my favorite.. Exactly why my GS3 was rooted... for that vanilla android feel....

I kind of miss my micro SD card slot but for $399 unlocked for the 32 gig???? You can't beat that price for what your getting. Hands down the best deal in Mobile....

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Everyone's different. I thought about getting the G2 also. But hated the the back design. The Nexus feels so good in the hand , I almost want to have it without a case lol... Also with the G2 I didn't like the video quality , I don't know I just didn't. Maybe you perspective is a little warped because your coming from two high end devices.

coming from a high end smartphone to the Nexus 5 is futile IMO. If you already have a high end device then it might be better to just stay where you are at. The Nexus 5 is not position to be high end or the replacement for a high end device. I think some people just have a unrealistic view of what the Nexus 5 is.

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
coming from a high end smartphone to the Nexus 5 is futile IMO. If you already have a high end device then it might be better to just stay where you are at. The Nexus 5 is not position to be high end or the replacement for a high end device. I think some people just have a unrealistic view of what the Nexus 5 is.

I expect some compromises in a cheaper device such as lower megapixel camera.. smaller screen.. smaller battery. What I don't expect is the screen to be noticably worse when comparing one device that is basically supposed to be a copy of the other device. I haven't seen a single reviewer mention the screen difference between the two when they compare the g2 and nexus so it took me by surprise.

Cyberguycpt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Yeah really. I actually have the Gs4 also and for me the Nexus 5 wins with some things and the Gs4 wins with others. It just depends on what your looking for and what things your willing to live without with either.

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I expect some compromises in a cheaper device such as lower megapixel camera.. smaller screen.. smaller battery. What I don't expect is the screen to be noticably worse when comparing one device that is basically supposed to be a copy of the other device. I haven't seen a single reviewer mention the screen difference between the two when they compare the g2 and nexus so it took me by surprise.

totally understand where you're coming from. depends on where you're coming from, device wise. i'll be uprgrading from my nexus 4 to my nexus 5. i have ups in earth city holding it for me and i'll be picking it up at 730 tomorrow. but i'm going to fall in love with the nexus 5 screen, because i'll be coming from a 720p screen to a 1080 hd screen. i won't give a **** if it's washed out, lol.

mamartin89

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I've only noticed that the whites are not as white as my HTC one was. But the N5 screen is still crystal clear and very crisp. Not a major difference IMO

Posted via Android Central App

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

I disagree, it's at the very least tied with the best OEM phones available. Google subsidizing it for $400 becomes the tie breaker, and you're free of carrier and OEM interference on top of that.

Must be a personal perspective I wasn't as impressed as you by the G2 display and the software LG put on it is awful. I also hate the button placement. Lots of people think the saturated displays on Samsungs are how a phone display should look too.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

The nexus 5 IMO is not a copy of the LG G2, but more like a distant cousin. They don't share much being alike other than the same bloodline i.e. LG and the chipset. Other than that it's different design and tweaks for both. As far as the screen is concerned you have to realise google doesn't do the same tweaks as LG. We don't even know if it's actually even using the same screen as the G2. I'm thinking it's google's personal preference on how this what made. I never thought it would be the same as the G2.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

I have what I would consider a high end device and I think the display on the N5 is terrific, even by way of comparison. Not as saturated as my S4 I guess, but at 440+ ppi it's super crisp and I think renders colors quite nicely. The camera is an understandable complaint I suppose, but one that means little to me as I don't really use cell phone cameras like that...though I do understand that many ppl do. The note three is just a beast of a machine though, and I think any device is going to have a rough go of things in a side by side with it :)

Posted via Android Central App

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I disagree, it's at the very least tied with the best OEM phones available. Google subsidizing it for $400 becomes the tie breaker, and you're free of carrier and OEM interference on top of that.

No it's not tied with some of the top OEM phones. You put this against the Galaxy Note 3 and it doesn't compare, the features and specs on some of the highends are what set them apart from the nexus. This phone also doesn't have a google $400 subsidization. I don't know where you are getting your numbers as google never reveals how much it actually cost to make the nexus phones.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
No it's not tied with some of the top OEM phones. You put this against the Galaxy Note 3 and it doesn't compare, the features and specs on some of the highends are what set them apart from the nexus. This phone also doesn't have a google $400 subsidization. I don't know where you are getting your numbers as google never reveals how much it actually cost to make the nexus phones.

Like I said, I disagree with you. I'm glad you prefer certain brands, I just happen to dislike your preferences in favor of my own. I also find that many of those features you mentioned suck. I also find waiting around for carriers and oems to get around to updates something that should've been gone by 2011

But trying to paint the n5 as sub par like you're doing now is ludicrous. I think you're completely out to lunch. Sorry.

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
what's frustrating to me, is people who know NOTHING about the nexus brand, getting a nexus and being disappointed in the lack of features that it has compared to an S4 or a Note 3. Nexus devices are about the simplicity of vanilla android and the simple ability to root your phone and put any damn ROM you want on it with ease. The Nexus brand isn't for everyone. just like Samsung and their bloaty **** isn't for me.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Give it a month, custom kernels will be popping up all over the place letting you recalibrate the screen.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
It always a matter of perspective...I'm coming from a GN and also have an N4 and i5. This screen on the N5 just blows me away. Along with every other feature, that I might have been disappointed in. I just like everything about the N5, Camera, keyboard, screen, speed. etc. 4.4 is much better than I thought it would be. Its cool how the notification bar is translucent now. Lots of sweet little changes, like that.

Other than the battery life, which matches my low expectations...All the other features exceed it. Its hard to believe someone would find the screen lacking. Ips screens don't have the oversaturated colors or Blacks of AMOLEDS. That doesn't mean its not at least the 4th best screen available, IMHO

As much as I would like to compare screens all day...I guess I'll just live with the fact my eyes can't distinguish subtle differences that others can. I'm going to cradle my N5 and go to bed now. Nighty Night...:p

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
These are two different devices, imo and shouldn't be compared. Keep in mind, Google had a target price to sell the Nexus 5 at and that likely had an impact on the hardware that made it to retail units.

With that, it's understandable that you may be disappointed with the device coming from the G2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt