I'm having a little trouble deciding what to do...

sprocket2107

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I will be upgrading to a new phone on Friday and need help deciding on a new phone. I have an iPhone 4S and have become bored with iOS. While I love my iPhone, I just want something different. I'm having trouble deciding between the Nexus 5, Moto X, Samsung Galaxy S4, LG G2 and HTC One. I am used to having a phone that rarely ever lags, so I am looking for something that performs the same in that regard. I also would like a better than decent battery. I was set on the N5 but then I had read some posts and some reviews that had me wary of the N5 for its underwhelming battery( maybe I'm being to worrisome). When I'm out of the house I usually only use my phone for texting, reading and occasionally replying to emails, occasionally a phone call and playing a game for maybe a few minutes, when I'm home I also stream Netflix to my chromecast but I can charge it while I'm watching. I also want my next phone to work just as well for the next 2 years through my contract. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
From a battery standpoint, the LG G2 or the Moto X are both pretty great. Which is better depends on how you use it obviously. The G2 has a larger battery and is able to handle heavy usage (games, videos) with major screen on time longer, while the Moto X is a beast of the standby time and gets a very respectable amount of screen time as well. The Nexus 5 and HTC One are both about the same in terms of battery from what I have read (I don't have either to know personally and I'm a little dubious of 3 day reviews so far, but some people I trust are saying good, not great on the Nexus).

On the obsolescence front, I'd expect the Nexus to be the longest lasting, followed by Moto X, then LG then HTC One.

The other consideration that complicates it is camera. I don't know if that's important to you, but if it is, it bumps the LG G2 up as it has the best camera of the 4.

Another very big difference is screen size and form factor. The Moto X is tiny compared to the other three, while sporting a 4.7" screen (same screen size as the HTC One, but the One is much bigger). The G2 is a 5.2" screen and I suggest going to a store to hold it and move around to see if you like the size and where the buttons (on the back) are located.

For me, it'd be between the Nexus and the Moto X, and it's a tough call. Better value per dollar is Nexus, but the Moto X might have the edge on some features, while Nexus will always be on the latest version of Android which has the potential for some really cool features in and of itself.

Good luck! Very interested in what you end up with.

mamartin89

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I switched from the HTC One to Nexus 5. The battery life of the N5 seems just slightly better than the HTC One, but they are both only good, not great. N5 def has a better camera. The HTC One camera took good low light pics, but the rest of the time the 4ultrapixle camera fell flat. HTC One had brighter whites when it comes to display. Nexus 5 is very crisp and crystal clear screen.

Andrawer

May 31, 2011
Visit site
From personal experience I'd say the LG G2 has killer battery performance and the 5.2" screen is sweet! Especially since it is basically the same size as the Nexus 5. Agree that you check it out first at the store to see if you like the rear buttons.

I am liking my Nexus 5 quite a bit but if battery is top on your list then check out the G2.

Ps: my first few days last year switching from an iPhone to an android I thought what the heck did I do... But now there is no way I'd return to an iPhone even though I am a big time Mac user. My wife's iphone5 with ios7 is a joke. It lags... And I ain't kidding. She now hates it.

Posted via Android Central App

sprocket2107

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if its how I'm interpreting some of those posts on the N5 battery or not but the way I was reading some of them along with a few of the reviews is making it seem like the N5 battery is trash. The last android phone I had was the HTC Evo 4G. Now the battery on that was truly horrendous. Lasted maybe 5 hours. I'm hoping the battery of the N5 proves me wrong and lasts at least 12 hours. I would love to get the N5, mainly for the pure android experience but if the battery isn't up to par then I may end up going with the X. Also, I should have mentioned before, the camera isn't really a deal breaker for me. I rarely use my phone for pictures. Basically as long as I can make out what the picture is of then I'm good.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The moto x can easily get 20-25 hours of my normal usage, although usually I charge while sleeping.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

tbgjlb

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same situation going from iphone 4s and am also looking to find just what the N5 battery can do relative to my iphone . Everything is relative , the camera from what i've seen seems decent and comparable to the iphone 4s. However on the battery front LG G2 MOTO X maybe have GREAT battery life which is good ( and preferred ) and the HTC and N5 maybe worse but what is worse relative to the iphone 4s , ie if N5 is regarded as poor but still out peforms 4s then in my book I'll go for pure android if not as good I'll need a rethink.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same situation going from iphone 4s and am also looking to find just what the N5 battery can do relative to my iphone . Everything is relative , the camera from what i've seen seems decent and comparable to the iphone 4s. However on the battery front LG G2 MOTO X maybe have GREAT battery life which is good ( and preferred ) and the HTC and N5 maybe worse but what is worse relative to the iphone 4s , ie if N5 is regarded as poor but still out peforms 4s then in my book I'll go for pure android if not as good I'll need a rethink.

How long does your 4s last and how is it used?

Nexus. Through spacetime.

vsloo

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I can barely go a day with my 4S. I have to be very careful. Things are worse with ios7. I get about 5 hrs or usage before needing a charge. I don't play games or watch videos during the day. Just emails, messages, browse the web briefly. It's pretty horrible.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
One and nexus should be better by a few hours at least. Moto X and the G2 will likely double or triple it up, if not more.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I will be upgrading to a new phone on Friday and need help deciding on a new phone. I have an iPhone 4S and have become bored with iOS. While I love my iPhone, I just want something different. I'm having trouble deciding between the Nexus 5, Moto X, Samsung Galaxy S4, LG G2 and HTC One. I am used to having a phone that rarely ever lags, so I am looking for something that performs the same in that regard. I also would like a better than decent battery. I was set on the N5 but then I had read some posts and some reviews that had me wary of the N5 for its underwhelming battery( maybe I'm being to worrisome). When I'm out of the house I usually only use my phone for texting, reading and occasionally replying to emails, occasionally a phone call and playing a game for maybe a few minutes, when I'm home I also stream Netflix to my chromecast but I can charge it while I'm watching. I also want my next phone to work just as well for the next 2 years through my contract. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Don't go for the S4 - it's really slow compared to the N5. The HTC One feels slightly faster than the S4, but it still has a previous-gen processor and a smaller screen. I had to decide between the G2 and the Nexus 5 and ended up getting the N5 because I didn't like the button placement on the G2 and LG had a really bad rep when it comes to delivering updates. Battery life has been great on the N5 so far.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tbgjlb

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Battery life depends how much I use it from day to day if 100% as I go to work with what I call light use I can get 2 days out of the phone as long as I'm carefull on day two. However that is a little tight and my normal use would be about 60 - 80 % in a day . But what I'm trying to find is the stats that you can compare ie, video run down time , music , talk time , web browsing which I have found for other phones but not the N5 YET!!!!!!!!!! all to give me a relative idea in comparisons .

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
You can find anecdotal cases but battery life greatly depends on many factors. Signal strength, wifi or not, data speeds, etc. Most recent Android devices will get you through 9-12 hours and tough charge nightly while sleeping.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

jaymojones

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
This was my first day of real use. Having the Note 3, I'm not impressed, but I understand they are 2 different phones and I can appreciate what the Nexus does. The on screen time was impressive though. Don't think I've ever seen that number on my Note.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383741271754.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383741271754.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 25
  • uploadfromtaptalk1383741286141.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383741286141.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 25

sprocket2107

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
So I've narrowed my choices down to either the N5 and the Moto X. I'm not a huge fan of the G2's back buttons. I played with it at best buy a bit and I just found it too awkward for me. It's a beautiful device but I can't get over those buttons. Like the fact the N5 and X are either pure android or next to pure. I want longevity out of my device and for it to still perform for 2 years. My 4S's battery lasts practically all day and that's with playing music for about 40 minutes (my drive to and from work) about 20 minutes of gaming and some web browsing, heckling and replying to emails and texting throughout the day. I typically get 4-5 hours of on screen time. If the N5 can beat that then I will probably get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbgjlb

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
1 to 2 days is me being careful , nothing on until I need it so as not to waste battery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The Moto X will be a nice transition from iOS.

The phone itself is not much bigger than an iPhone, but the screen is much larger.

The battery is phenomenal. I've had mine for over two months, and the battery still hasn't died on me yet--and that includes being off the charger for up to 35 or 36 hours.

It's not full of useless bloat, like the other flagship phones (other than the Nexus 5, that is).

And it is smooth as hell.

Posted via Android Central App

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I will be upgrading to a new phone on Friday and need help deciding on a new phone. I have an iPhone 4S and have become bored with iOS. While I love my iPhone, I just want something different. I'm having trouble deciding between the Nexus 5, Moto X, Samsung Galaxy S4, LG G2 and HTC One.
The Nexus 5, definitely. The things that are bad about the Neuxs are things you will not miss if you owned an iPhone. It has the best display, the cleanest and fastest UI, the best touch-response, and the least bloat.

I am used to having a phone that rarely ever lags
This is the least laggy Android phone I have ever used.

I also would like a better than decent battery.
The battery on the Nexus is not great, but comparable to the iPhones. On low-power stuff (voice calling) it will be much better than the iPhone. On high power stuff (gaming) it will probably be lower. The Nexus 4 and 5 holds a charge better than any other phones I have ever seen...when I turn it off at night with 33% battery remaining, it will be 33% when I wake up. After 2 days of shipping, my Nexus 5 was still at 100% battery when I got it. An hour of constant music at the gym dropped my battery about 5%.

I also want my next phone to work just as well for the next 2 years through my contract.
You should never buy a Nexus on contract if you have a choice. They just are not expensive enough to have to put up with a contract. Also, the places that sell them with subsidy will overcharge you for them. The Nexus 4 through T-Mobile was about $80 or $100 more for me than Google Play for the exact same phone. I'd only buy on contract if you don't have a choice.

sprocket2107

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little tight on cash right now so 150 on contract isn't bad. I just want to make sure that my next phone will be able to make it 2 years. My old Evo and Samsung Galaxy Epic definitely couldn't have for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz