Google Nexus 5 - Keyboard missing voice typing

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else notice that? There used to be a microphone for voice typing in stock keyboard and now its gone. Am I missing something?

Edit: Delete post I figured out I had to enable in settings

billman63

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem, voice typing is missing in Voice and Hangouts. I have Voice Input Key activated on the Google keyboard. Is there another setting I need to change?

Posted via Android Central App

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
What is the solution for this?!

When I set up my N5 last night the voice input key was there (I used it to dictate an SMS in Hangouts). Then at at point it disappeared.

I've confirmed that "Voice input key" is checked in Keyboard Settings. I've also tried restarting.

Help!

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if this is the same thing, but I use touch pal X keyboard. When I went to use voice, it said I had to download google voice search which I did. Haven't even tried other voice commands.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

aco905

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Don't know if this is the same thing, but I use touch pal X keyboard. When I went to use voice, it said I had to download google voice search which I did. Haven't even tried other voice commands.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My microphone is gone as well. I've got everything checked. I've got Google voice installed.. Switfkey has it. But when I switch to the Google keyboard, its nowhere to be found.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My microphone is gone as well. I've got everything checked. I've got Google voice installed.. Switfkey has it. But when I switch to the Google keyboard, its nowhere to be found.

What is your system language set to?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Settings -> Language & Input -> Google Voice Typing. Make certain it is enabled.

If this doesn't resolve your issue (you're probably seeing a comma to the left of the space bar), you need to enable it in Hangouts directly. Press and hold the comma key and then slide over the settings popup and release. That opens the "Input Options" menu. Select "Google Keyboard Settings" and tick the "Voice input key" checkbox. If you've done both of these you should have the microphone button instead of the comma button to the left of the space bar.

aco905

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I replied too soon, you are correct this was the answer. I did enable it and now the microphone has returned. Thank you very much!

Posted by Nexus 5 and the Android Central App

Last edited:

Christian Denney

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
If this doesn't resolve your issue (you're probably seeing a comma to the left of the space bar), you need to enable it in Hangouts directly. Press and hold the comma key and then slide over the settings popup and release. That opens the "Input Options" menu. Select "Google Keyboard Settings" and tick the "Voice input key" checkbox. If you've done both of these you should have the microphone button instead of the comma button to the left of the space bar.

Done both if these, still no voice input key. It was there yesterday.

aco905

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Done both if these, still no voice input key. It was there yesterday.

Go into language and input, and enable Google Voice typing it is in the same area as the Google keyboard and swiftkey, you will have a blue check next to the Google Voice typing . I will also guess that when you do any sort of voice dictation it does not show up as you speak. It waits until you're completely done speaking and then the words show up . This means that you do not have the Google Voice typing option checked in the phone settings.

Posted by Nexus 5 and the Android Central App

cseel

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I was having the same issue and the "solution" for me was to stop looking for the microphone when I was in the input box for the email address! Once I tapped into the compose-body window the microphone appeared. I have to remember this is going to anticipate what I need before I do...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1