My 1 day review of the Nexus 5

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Just quickly going thru this thread and I have no contribution whatsoever. But just noticed your DP and I love my BB6 :) oh, also excited for my N5 tomorrow!

You've got a BB6 too? Very cool! :) Post up some pics sometime...in the OT section of course. :p

After a full day on my phone, my battery lasted me about 18 hours or so with 11% left. It was about an even mix of being in and out of wifi. Took a couple of pictures (can post them if anyone is interested) and I also did a Speedtest (26.87kbps up, 9.84kbps down, 68 ms ping on AT&T).

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh. A fellow Franco kernel user, if you've ever used the Obasanity setting in the gamma settings, how does the 5 compare to that? That is beautiful to me.
I only used custom settings on it...I maxed the saturation, and increased contrast to 30% or so. To me the result looks like an iPhone. Not everyone likes saturation, but it does make the display pop.

Once there is something similar for the Nexus 5 I will probably root and use it. While the Nexus 5 does have the best display I have seen so far, I am an AMOLED fan and do like the heavy saturation on AMOLED devices.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Power button rattling, i don't even consider it as some kind of problem that's why I did not mention it, but others especially muffled sound when volume is set to lower levels
I tested for this last night...it does not sound muffled to me. But I am not an audiophile...so maybe I just don't have the ear to hear it.

The Nexus 5's speaker is not anything special like the HTC One's is. But it is definitely better than the Nexus 4's.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I tested for this last night...it does not sound muffled to me. But I am not an audiophile...so maybe I just don't have the ear to hear it.

I tested this too, and couldn't tell either.

On the camera, I might have to disagree with you (partly) on comparing this one to the Galaxy S4. :) Thanks to OIS on the Nexus, it's a little harder to blur a static shot than on the GS4...the latter seems to lose focus from time to time, so it requires a steadier hand. Also, and after tinkering a bit with my wife's GS4, but shutter speed for auto shots is slower on the GS4 vs. the Nexus 5. The GS4 does have an advantage of having more saturation on its photos vs. the N5, but I think the latter gets you more "natural" shot unfiltered than the former. Of course, I'm no photographer, so what do I know. :p Do you have any sample photos to share? I can post one outdoor shot if you want me to share mine.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Also, and after tinkering a bit with my wife's GS4, but shutter speed for auto shots is slower on the GS4 vs. the Nexus 5.
Really? Using the stock app? The GS3 is even quicker than the Nexus 5 from what I have seen. I love the Nexus 5 camera but it is VERY slow compared to other top end phones I have used.

Do you have any sample photos to share?
Not yet. I will try to take some today. I deleted all the previous ones already.

On the nexus 4 they had a thread dedicated to this. Maybe I will just post them there and link to it.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Really? Using the stock app? The GS3 is even quicker than the Nexus 5 from what I have seen. I love the Nexus 5 camera but it is VERY slow compared to other top end phones I have used.

Maybe the GS4 is slower than the GS3? :p Maybe I'll do a search in the GS4 forums and see if anyone has had issues with their camera. The shutter speed in auto (normal) mode is the biggest issue that I've seen with it. As for the Nexus 5's camera app, it doesn't seem any faster or slower than one I've used from a custom ROM (CynanogenMod). I did download the Focal camera app, and might test that to compare.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe the GS4 is slower than the GS3? :p Maybe I'll do a search in the GS4 forums and see if anyone has had issues with their camera. The shutter speed in auto (normal) mode is the biggest issue that I've seen with it. As for the Nexus 5's camera app, it doesn't seem any faster or slower than one I've used from a custom ROM (CynanogenMod). I did download the Focal camera app, and might test that to compare.

I cannot figure out how to get Focal to actually take a picture. Pressing the shutter button seems to bring up a preview or something.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I cannot figure out how to get Focal to actually take a picture. Pressing the shutter button seems to bring up a preview or something.

Now that you brought it up, I tried the app just now. I just get a "Cannot take picture". I wonder if it doesn't play nice with KitKat? *scratches head* It worked just fine with my previous phone.

Edit: OT, but I did research a bit on the Galaxy S4, and sure enough, there's alot of complaints of slow shutter speed and blurrying of images. They also site the SG3 being a better camera than the GS4. I'm looking for fixes for it, if there's any. Anyways, back to the Nexus 5 subject :)...

Last edited:

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Now that you brought it up, I tried the app just now. I just get a "Cannot take picture". I wonder if it doesn't play nice with KitKat? *scratches head* It worked just fine with my previous phone.

Edit: OT, but I did research a bit on the Galaxy S4, and sure enough, there's alot of complaints of slow shutter speed and blurrying of images. They also site the SG3 being a better camera than the GS4. I'm looking for fixes for it, if there's any. Anyways, back to the Nexus 5 subject :)...

The 4.3 update to my moms S4 actually seemed to make it worse. It takes a lot longer to focus, and it is extremely difficult to take photos that aren't blurry. Even when putting it in sports mode still isn't as good as before.

Posted from the awesome new Nexus 7

howie782

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I wish the battery was little bit larger, speaker was a little it louder. But other than that for the price it is really hard to bet IMO. Those more small annoying issues and every phone has it has deficit areas. Overall this is the best pure android phone out there and the performance for the price point is hard to fuss about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12