Flash does not work on the Nexus 5

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Just a public service announcement. You cannot use Flash on any browser. Sideloading the installer does not work. Firefox will still not display Flash content.

A quick look over at XDA showed me I am not alone. It looks like the Flash era is officially over on Nexus devices.

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Just a public service announcement. You cannot use Flash on any browser. Sideloading the installer does not work. Firefox will still not display Flash content.

A quick look over at XDA showed me I am not alone. It looks like the Flash era is officially over on Nexus devices.

I think this has more to do with Android (specifically, KitKat) than the phone itself.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
+1 my N4 had flash loaded with AOSP Browser, same with my 4.3 N7, its only kitkat
Can you install the AOSP browser separately? Or is it something you need a ROM for?

I am still using Firefox out of habit...but that was the main reason I started using firefox at all. The flash support. Might as well go back to Chrome now I guess.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Can you install the AOSP browser separately? Or is it something you need a ROM for?

I am still using Firefox out of habit...but that was the main reason I started using firefox at all. The flash support. Might as well go back to Chrome now I guess.

just go to google play, if your rooted download asop browser, if your not rooted go to xda and look for asop browser without root

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 4 with 4.22...As of that release, Flash was working fine. At least for me.

It may work, but it is no longer supported and no longer available for download/install from the Play Store. See the previously linked announcements from Adobe.

Both Flash Player and Adobe Acrobat have a long history of security flaws; personally, I would not even consider running either of these buggy, compromised apps if they were no longer being updated.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
It may work, but it is no longer supported and no longer available for download/install from the Play Store.
Yeah, you've had to sideload it for a while now. But it worked completely fine. It still does on the Nexus 4. It is only on my Nexus 5 that it stopped working.

I like the option of having flash if I need it. it is not something you need running all the time...On Android you could make it "on demand" so it only activated when you clicked on a flash item in the browser.

debbage

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I have had the same problem and resolved this with the full version of the puffin browser. Flash now works fine via this browser

gotluck

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
just go to google play, if your rooted download asop browser, if your not rooted go to xda and look for asop browser without root
Has this been tested? I'll be ecstatic if it's true. GS4 GE doesn't have kit kat yet, but the loss of flash may not be worth the upgrade for me when it gets kit kat.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I have had the same problem and resolved this with the full version of the puffin browser. Flash now works fine via this browser

I am generally hesitate to use this type of "shell", who routes all data through a third part server. On the other hand, it does serve as a proxy against spying too.... lol

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Anyone find a way to get flash to work? I'd like to stream the MNF game on my N5 - used to be so clutch on the N4.

Just tested this low tech way with the Photon Flash Player & Browser from the Play Store with the Nexus 5. Just hit the lighting bolt and it does Adobe Flash video. It works for me and on some boards where Chrome and Firefox are really slow the Photon Browser is a lot faster. I been using this when every I couldn't get Foxfire or Chrome to play a flash video for over a year.

slick2404

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Just tested this low tech way with the Photon Flash Player & Browser from the Play Store with the Nexus 5. Just hit the lighting bolt and it does Adobe Flash video. It works for me and on some boards where Chrome and Firefox are really slow the Photon Browser is a lot faster. I been using this when every I couldn't get Foxfire or Chrome to play a flash video for over a year.

Awesome, I'll defo give this a shot tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34