Headphone Volume Too Low On Nexus 5

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys just wondering is there any apps that work to increase headphone volume, playing through google music, EQ enabled and its very quiet.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey Guys just wondering is there any apps that work to increase headphone volume, playing through google music, EQ enabled and its very quiet.

If you are willing to try another player, install the PowerAmp music player https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../store/apps/d...pz.audioplayer&token=HlcyELGh then go to menu -> Audio -> Replay Gain and mess with the settings. You can greatly increase the output volume without distortion for both the speaker and headsets.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If you are willing to try another player, install the PowerAmp music player https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../store/apps/d...pz.audioplayer&token=x2CgfAOD then go to menu -> Audio -> Replay Gain and mess with the settings. You can greatly increase the output volume without distortion for both the speaker and headsets.

Great suggestion. If possible, it would probably be helpful to post the specific settings users can adjust to get volume. Otherwise it's just trial and error which could be frustrating. But again, thanks for the suggestion.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
PRO TIP, turn off the EQ and the volume explodes. Much louder than the S4 or One. My bluetooth headphones have various EQ settings built in that dont affect the volume.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Great suggestion. If possible, it would probably be helpful to post the specific settings users can adjust to get volume. Otherwise it's just trial and error which could be frustrating. But again, thanks for the suggestion.

It's pretty straightforward. Menu -> Audio -> Replay Gain -> Replay Gain -> Apply Gain. Next, tap RG preamp and set the value to any number higher than 0db. Same for the "Preamp for songs without RG info. Start with numbers in the 7 - 10db range and then move up from there if necessary.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
PRO TIP, turn off the EQ and the volume explodes. Much louder than the S4 or One. My bluetooth headphones have various EQ settings built in that dont affect the volume.
Are you talking about the EQ in google play music or is there a global EQ? I dont see any in the settings app.

dazzer87

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the earphone is bad on the nexus. I did a test same song on both my apple nano and nexus using the same headphone and the nano was better....

Posted via Android Central App

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
It's pretty straightforward. Menu -> Audio -> Replay Gain -> Replay Gain -> Apply Gain. Next, tap RG preamp and set the value to any number higher than 0db. Same for the "Preamp for songs without RG info. Start with numbers in the 7 - 10db range and then move up from there if necessary.

It may be straightforward to you but everyone does not know ;). But thanks. I appreciate it.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Viper4android should be a mandatory app for anyone using headphones.

from my RastaKat/Trinity [n⁴]
Can you elaborate? Have you tried it with the N5? Works fine? Im a little weary of apps that boost volume because distortion/clipping can destroy speakers. Do you know how this app works? Does it actually boost the voltage of the preamp?

sublime1287

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Can you elaborate? Have you tried it with the N5? Works fine? Im a little weary of apps that boost volume because distortion/clipping can destroy speakers. Do you know how this app works? Does it actually boost the voltage of the preamp?

I don't have an N5 but its working fine on 4.4 for me. It does require root and there's nothing else available that can so greatly improve overall sound quality and volume on android.

Its really a must have for any android phone.

http://vipersaudio.com/blog/

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Lisa Driscoll

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Ha! I just plugged in my cans to test the headphone jack and was thinking the same thing! Gotta play with that some. Though I rarely use the phone to power them - mostly audible books but still.

Tweaked the EQ a bit and they sound a bit better - really I think the phone just doesn't have the power to push them though. Not a huge deal for me - I'm sure my earbuds will be fine at that volume - not looking to be deaf. :cool:

drewho

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Ha! I just plugged in my cans to test the headphone jack and was thinking the same thing! Gotta play with that some. Though I rarely use the phone to power them - mostly audible books but still.

Tweaked the EQ a bit and they sound a bit better - really I think the phone just doesn't have the power to push them though. Not a huge deal for me - I'm sure my earbuds will be fine at that volume - not looking to be deaf. :cool:

its not that the phone doesn't have the power, its the crappy "audiofx" that google keep on using as a dsp.
i cant emphasize enough my hatred of "audiofx" and the sheer stupidity of google's continuing use of it, its absolutely useless and puts the audio of their phones in a very bad light.
install viper4android and you can see how good the audio can be (beats anything imho), if only google would implement a decent dsp.

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys check out my free App made specifically for the nexus 5.

The Nexus 5 Real Volume Booster will create a custom mixer_paths.xml file for you, which will allow you to increase the

default maximums for headphone and speaker volume.

Note: (You need a custom recovery in order to install the file)

The free version has a 4.3 rating on Google Play with over 7000 installs
The free version has all the same features as the pro. The PRO has no ads and you help support my work.

Free version : https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....n5rvb.nexus5realvolumebooster&token=hdAf06z-
PRO (AdFree Version: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...rvb.nexus5realvolumeboosterpro&token=o4upySWF
XDA Thread: [APP]Nexus 5 Real Volume Booster [Version 1.… | Google Nexus 5 | xda-developers

Let me know what you think.
Thanks

Nivhans Seeboo

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm lead to believe that only the original earphones works perfectly with the associated phone. If you buy a different brand the volumes drops. Particularly with podcasts. It's something to do with the (Ohm).

MeccaKIng

Banned
May 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Headphone Volume Too Low On Nexus 5 ***Not Any More***

I found that 99% of apps just mess with the gain settings of the phone and this isn't whats wrong with the nexus 5. I found an app that corrects the volume issue 100% properly and doesn't distort or start clipping like a high gain will cause. The thing that controls the nexus 5 headphones power amp gain is the kernel. The only app I've found that lets you increase the wattage/power output is the kernel ElementalX and its android GUI to adjust the settings. If you are rooted and custom recovery your set. If not you will need to root, then install custom kernel. Once you have it up and running go to the sound settings in the app and while your music is playing you can adjust the gain in real time but the key player here is the power amp gain setting, you can get a huge increase in sound output with very little distortion and clipping like you get when you fool with the gain, but find a happy spot for both gain & power output and your ears will thank you. So all in all YES, the nexus five sound problem can be fixed with elementalx kernel 100% and Id love if elementalx devs would put out an app that addresses just this issue for us music fans. this took me a lot of research and trial and error so I thought Id save you the time. 99.99% virtually all apps on google play just screw with the gain and that is not the issue at all though it does come into effect and make a bit louder. Hope you try, you will be pleasantly suprised! Cheers!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-06-12-18-36.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-06-12-18-36.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 10

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma