Does the nexus 5 really have a lot of issues?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to be ordering this phone in the coming weeks, but it sounds like users of this phone are having good quite a few complaints. I know that on forums Complaints get magnified, but I'd really like to know if there are reasons I shouldn't get the phone or what problems it has.

What have you experienced? Have you noticed battery life being better than the nexus 4?

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Personally I think people are being very picky, but at the same time it does seem to have quite a few people complaining about the same type of issues.

Now you are coming to site of a select amount of people as compared to the whole lot of people who ordered the N5, just a reminder :)
My phone has been great the 24 hrs I have had it and no real issues at this time. Just my experience.

James Heim

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Been using mine since Monday. Not one issue so far. Then again I'm coming from a Verizon GNex so anything is a step up! But seriously I don't have any of the listed problems. Maybe I'm just lucky?!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

GoBigRed79

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Every release of a hyped phone has forums full of complaints and issues. Some is nitpicking, some is issues related to being a first batch of devices, some are to new software, and some are just the quirks of that device. Nothing really new to see here.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Something the Nexus line holds unique above all other phone brand forums is that ours tends to be a jelly magnet more than any other because we're well, the "Google phone" and that irks a small collection of certain types people. I've seen quite a few posts in the N4 and N7 forum by people who seem to just appear out of the woodwork whenever a problem is mentioned gleefully pointing out how their Samsung/HTC/Moto/LG/whatever works like a charm and pretend theirs had no launch issues. Even the most minor quirk gets inflated to doomsday proportions. What do the Germans call it? Schadenfreude?

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't think there's really a lot of issues with the phone, but most people should probably lower their expectations. It's not a world-beater. It's simply a platform for Google to show off their OS and it happens to be a pretty good phone in the process.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to be ordering this phone in the coming weeks, but it sounds like users of this phone are having good quite a few complaints. I know that on forums Complaints get magnified, but I'd really like to know if there are reasons I shouldn't get the phone or what problems it has.

What have you experienced? Have you noticed battery life being better than the nexus 4?
Most definitely, yes. This phone is better than the 4 in every way, sometimes dramatically.

I have not experienced the problems other people seem to be having. The power button wobble is something I would have completely missed had I not been looking for it. I have not had any wifi issues (well, at least not anything I did not also have with the 4). LTE and voice reception are what I expected them to be or better.

Battery life has been comparable to my Nexus 4, but that is with heavy use. This phone will last a lot longer than the 4 if you are a light user.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there's really a lot of issues with the phone, but most people should probably lower their expectations. It's not a world-beater. It's simply a platform for Google to show off their OS and it happens to be a pretty good phone in the process.
That is true, but I do think this phone is a world beater. It's display and CPU power are top notch, and the camera is one of the best. It has the best touch response (IMO) of anything out right now. The price is deceptive...this is easily as good as any phone on the market right now.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
That is true, but I do think this phone is a world beater. It's display and CPU power are top notch, and the camera is one of the best. It has the best touch response (IMO) of anything out right now. The price is deceptive...this is easily as good as any phone on the market right now.

Moto X, HTC One, and iPhone 5S (for those that like iOS). Those are world-beaters. The Nexus 5 is good, but I'd take two out of the three of those phones over it every time.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

Glad you like the phone. "best touch response" ?? Well it sounds like you've already lowered yor expectations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Glad you like the phone. "best touch response" ?? Well it sounds like you've already lowered yor expectations.
It was something I was not expecting to care about, but it is a nice feature.

Moto X, HTC One, and iPhone 5S (for those that like iOS). Those are world-beaters. The Nexus 5 is good, but I'd take two out of the three of those phones over it every time.
Just an opinion, but...there is nothing about the iPhone 5s that is better that I can see, either in hardware or software. It is not even better for gaming anymore. All it has is the ecosystem. This phone is faster than the Moto X and with a better camera. It is faster than the One as well, and in some ways the camera is also better. I do not think it is a given that either of those phones are better.

I'm probably getting my hopes up here but does this mean you're not going to adopt the role of the official critic of the Nexus 5 like you did on the N4 forum?

:p
I regret NONE of my criticisms of the Nexus 4 and many of them apply to the 5 as well. I still don't like not having expandable memory or removable storage, but it is a flaw (and yes, I do think it is a flaw) I can live with in exchange for the awesomeness of the rest of the phone.

People focus on the criticisms I made, but I said many times that the Nexus 4 was an awesome phone, and that I did not regret buying it. I still don't. It wasn't perfect, but it was the best phone available (IMO) at that time. The Nexus 4 was an excellent product.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
It was something I was not expecting to care about, but it is a nice feature.

Just an opinion, but...there is nothing about the iPhone 5s that is better that I can see, either in hardware or software. It is not even better for gaming anymore. All it has is the ecosystem. This phone is faster than the Moto X and with a better camera. It is faster than the One as well, and in some ways the camera is also better. I do not think it is a given that either of those phones are better.

The 5S has the better camera and arguably the better build and CPU/GPU. In GPU benchmarks, it bests the Nexus 5, so yes, it's better for gaming. The Moto X has better battery life, better features, it'll get 4.4 in no time, it's got a better in-hand feel, and you can customize the hell out of it. The HTC One has a better build, arguably the better camera and screen, better speaker, and the GPE will have 4.4 probably by the end of the month. The Nexus 5 is a great phone and people should love it, but I'm just saying that it's not the be-all end-all.

Lisa Driscoll

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Been using for over 24 hours- so not a huge amount of time. But I can say thus far no issues :) I have not tested the GPS yet, have not taken video, but the camera is fine. Haven't make a speaker phone call but did listen to music from the speakers and they seem fine. Oddly enough have not used headphones yet. I'll wait till close to my 30 days to see if "all systems" seem go.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
The 5S has the better camera
I disagree, based on the samples I have seen. The OIS makes a big difference in sharpness, especially in low light. In what way is the 5S camera better in your opinion?

and arguably the better build and CPU/GPU. In GPU benchmarks, it bests the Nexus 5, so yes, it's better for gaming.
What is the difference in percentage points? The benchmarks I have seen make them statistically even. - Basemark X benchmark now listing the Nexus 5 as the 2nd-best gaming phone -

The Nexus 5 is a great phone and people should love it, but I'm just saying that it's not the be-all end-all.
You have pointed out specific areas in which those phones are better, but I have done the same with the nexus 5. So I do not see how you can claim they are "world beaters" and the nexus 5 is not. If they are "world beaters", there should be no major areas where the Nexus 5 beats them.

Not only that, but the Nexus 5 is doing it at half the price.

mamartin89

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
It depends on what you mean by issues.

Mine is functioning correctly and works very well. There are some things that could be better but I don't really consider them issues. Just me being picky.

Posted from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

methods

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Every release of a hyped phone has forums full of complaints and issues. Some is nitpicking, some is issues related to being a first batch of devices, some are to new software, and some are just the quirks of that device. Nothing really new to see here.

What he said ^

Posted via Android Central App

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I disagree, based on the samples I have seen. The OIS makes a big difference in sharpness, especially in low light. In what way is the 5S camera better in your opinion?

What is the difference in percentage points? The benchmarks I have seen make them statistically even. - Basemark X benchmark now listing the Nexus 5 as the 2nd-best gaming phone -

You have pointed out specific areas in which those phones are better, but I have done the same with the nexus 5. So I do not see how you can claim they are "world beaters" and the nexus 5 is not. If they are "world beaters", there should be no major areas where the Nexus 5 beats them.

Not only that, but the Nexus 5 is doing it at half the price.

There's virtually zero shutter lag on the 5S. There's most certainly shutter lag on the Nexus 5. OIS is important, but AIS on the 5S is virtually the same. It's delivering 1.5 microns to the 1.4 (reportedly) that the Nexus 5 is. It focuses quicker. The TrueTone flash is another advantage. It's not a night and day win, but it's still a better camera. Down the road if Google can increase the quality via software updates, maybe it can take over as the leader here.

The title of the link you sent out says it all: "2nd best gaming phone". By a huge margin? No, but it's still not the best.

The Nexus 5 is a great phone, but it just doesn't offer anything so spectacular that makes it stand out aside from the price you pay for it. The Moto X has it's in-hand feel and Active Notifications/Touchless Controls. The HTC One has it's build quality, screen, and BoomSound speakers. The iPhone 5S has the fingerprint scanner, the camera, and the 64-bit CPU that flies now and will only get faster once apps catch up.