11-13-2013 03:55 PM
33 12
tools
    I'm probably getting the nexus 5 but after updating some apps on an android from a year ago it was saying google and misc apps would have permission to do things like read my SMS messages, modify my contacts, all sorts of stuff. What the hell is up with this? Is it possible to own an Android and keep everything up to date without having a massive intrusion on your privacy? When I install an app it either has install or decline, there doesn't seem to be the option to install the basic app and remove the rude permissions.
    11-06-2013 04:26 PM
    If you're concerned about privacy, the Nexus 5 isn't the device for you. It's a Google based phone and we all know how Google uses your information.
    That said, the same can be said for most smartphones today....so there's that.

tap'n
    NexusNick123 likes this.
    11-06-2013 04:32 PM
    It's so sad that the majority of people think "Meh, cellphones aren't about privacy anymore"...

I'm not obsessed with it but I hate how I can't even install a game or email app without god-knows who having near full access to my phone.
    11-06-2013 04:34 PM
    Oh, I'm not happy about it either. It's one of the MANY reasons I'm not on Facebook. But until people stand up and demand more privacy, nothing is going to change.

tap'n
    11-06-2013 04:44 PM
    I think you've misunderstood the permissions. Every app has a function. Performing that function requires the app to interact with your phone in some way - a dialer needs to make calls,anything social needs to access and update your contacts, anything that communicates with the outside world needs to be able to send SMS or emails, etc.

Android just makes the developer specifically list out the required functions up front.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-06-2013 04:59 PM
    You shouldn't be using a smartphone. No, I'm serious. The mere act of using a cellular device means you're giving up quite a bit of privacy. Your carrier knows, where you are, who you're calling, who calls you, how long you speak, who you text, who tests you, what's in those texts, etc. etc. etc. The apps you referenced need those permissions to do the simple things you take for granted on your phone; the music player needs to have access to the dialer to know to stop playing when a call comes in and to resume when the call ends, to read contacts so that you can send them links to the music you're listening to and to set a custom ringtone. I could go on and on but I think you get the gist.
    11-07-2013 12:47 AM
    hello,
    to give you a more constructive answer, you could use an app. called Permission Manager Pro (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...applauncherpro)
    This app allows you to set the permissions of each app installed on your phone.
    Downside for now it works on 4.3 only (i have contacted the developer already). I use this apps on my HTC GPE and it works well and i feel like it is saving some battery as well.
    11-07-2013 01:12 AM
    Smh @ this post
    11-07-2013 10:10 AM
    I think the only offering that has some semblance of privacy is Cyanogenmod (cyanogenmod DOT org)
    11-07-2013 11:23 AM
    Overall, It still boils down to what apps you download.

tap'n
    11-07-2013 12:25 PM
    You shouldn't be using a smartphone. No, I'm serious. The mere act of using a cellular device means you're giving up quite a bit of privacy. Your carrier knows, where you are, who you're calling, who calls you, how long you speak, who you text, who tests you, what's in those texts, etc. etc. etc. The apps you referenced need those permissions to do the simple things you take for granted on your phone; the music player needs to have access to the dialer to know to stop playing when a call comes in and to resume when the call ends, to read contacts so that you can send them links to the music you're listening to and to set a custom ringtone. I could go on and on but I think you get the gist.
    SIM free phone with monthly SIMs I buy in cash? Sure.

You're just being ridiculous to defend the "golden" android. It's quite a bit different from giving a random 3rd party dev who could be anyone access to do anything on your phone. Maybe even steal financial details.
    11-10-2013 11:31 AM

You're just being ridiculous to defend the "golden" android. It's quite a bit different from giving a random 3rd party dev who could be anyone access to do anything on your phone. Maybe even steal financial details.
    Android doesn't make that decision, you do when you download an app.
    thekarens, yfan and Gamer_Radar like this.
    11-10-2013 11:45 AM
    This has been discussed ad nauseam in just about every tech forum. iPhone, Windows phone, Android phone... doesn't matter. An app needs access to certain parts of the phone depending on what it does. Google makes developers list every potential service the app might access. It doesn't mean that it will. Much depends on how you use the app. For instance, if you use a fitness app but turn off sharing it will not likely be checking your contacts. If you later enable sharing the app will access your contacts at the time you decide to share something. You will see how intrusive the app is before you download it so you may decide whether to install it or not. Be suspicious of apps that list a permission that you cannot think of a reason it needs, such as a hotspot toggle app that reads your contacts. Can developers abuse this? Absolutely! I have passed on several apps that seemed a little too intrusive to me for how I plan to use it.
    Mooem, Jonneh and Gamer_Radar like this.
    11-10-2013 12:43 PM
    Android doesn't make that decision, you do when you download an app.
    Yeah but I cant even use the facebook app without them screwing up my contacts list. Whats the point in having an android phone if I cant use apps. Might as well buy an OS7 blackberry lol.
    11-10-2013 01:03 PM
    Facebook never messed with my contacts?

It IS annoying that I can't get Facebook to shut off when I exit out of the app (it keeps running for some reason) even with all notifications turned off but it never messed with anything.

The way I look at phones these days is that someone in a dark bunker in the middle of the United States is learning more about sex and firefighting and video games than they would ever care to know. As for my private information going somewhere I simply don't install apps that request access to things they don't need as mentioned in this thread.
    Jonneh likes this.
    11-10-2013 01:39 PM
    Facebook never messed with my contacts?

It IS annoying that I can't get Facebook to shut off when I exit out of the app (it keeps running for some reason) even with all notifications turned off but it never messed with anything.

The way I look at phones these days is that someone in a dark bunker in the middle of the United States is learning more about sex and firefighting and video games than they would ever care to know. As for my private information going somewhere I simply don't install apps that request access to things they don't need as mentioned in this thread.
    It's the fact whenever there's an app, even if its paid for, the producer could get full access to your phone. Not about US government or something.
    11-10-2013 01:42 PM
    I hate the privacy intrusions. For the moment, it's more worth it to have my phone than not to, though.

When you download apps, check your settings to see which ones are constantly transferring data. Some of it may be relatively harmless like ads in "free" apps but I don't think they all are.

The only game I liked so far (not a big name for sure) turned out to be using data 24/7 so I uninstalled it. Anything I saw doing constant use of data that I could uninstall I did uninstall.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    11-10-2013 02:07 PM
    Yeah but I cant even use the facebook app without them screwing up my contacts list. Whats the point in having an android phone if I cant use apps. Might as well buy an OS7 blackberry lol.
    Actually I went and looked this up.... Yeah it has the ability to call phone numbers directly and modify your contacts and read your call logs and contacts etc. Doesn't mean it actually does as it hasn't called anyone nor messed with my contact list. I would assume just about any phone that uses the app has something like this going on however with the Google apps you get to SEE what it does while other phones don't require the transparency.
    11-10-2013 02:14 PM
    Actually I went and looked this up.... Yeah it has the ability to call phone numbers directly and modify your contacts and read your call logs and contacts etc. Doesn't mean it actually does as it hasn't called anyone nor messed with my contact list. I would assume just about any phone that uses the app has something like this going on however with the Google apps you get to SEE what it does while other phones don't require the transparency.
    Some time a year or so ago facebook actually did mess up peoples contacts though with this. Loads of apps demand these permissions that they downright don't remotely need and there's no option to tick off each permission. You can either install and DWI or not use apps which makes android kinda pointless.

Blackberry at least allowed me to block these permissions and still use the app.
    11-11-2013 12:31 PM
    here is where u r totally wrong!!! you think blackberry dont use these permission from your phone??
    just because u r not seeing the permission doesnt mean they are not accessing them. Its the same with WP,iPhone,Blackberry.

Android is the only OS which gives u what permission the app uses so you know what the app is requesting
    rest dont even show them

and btw, you can totally deny permission from jellybean 4.3 and above but its still in beta
    11-11-2013 12:53 PM
    The fact is, the second you opened up a Gmail acct, you handed over any and all rights to your privacy. Take an hour and go online and read their privacy policy. You'll be enlightened, guaranteed!

A few weeks ago I downloaded the Fandago app after I found out that our local theatre tickets could be purchased through this app.
    I always read the TOS & Privacy Policy when I download an app that requires any of my banking information. (And I'm not talking about what they tell you on the Play Store....those permissions are too vague) Before making the ticket purchase, I read the policy top to bottom, and found out exactly how much access to my phone and exactly how much of my personal information Fandango shares with third parties. After I saw that these third parties have complete access to my credit information, AND my credit history, I immediately cancelled my Fandango acct and uninstalled the app. There's no reason a movie ticket app (or the companies they are associated with) need access to my credit history.

Point is, by creating a Gmail acct, you automatically gave complete access to Google (and their third party associates) to do with what they will. You can't control that....it's the price we pay for living in the digital age. But, you CAN control what apps you download and the excessive permissions many of them ask for.
    As someone previously mentioned.....just because they have these permissions doesn't mean they will use them maliciously. You simply have to decide for yourself, how much is too much.

tap'n
    11-11-2013 05:17 PM
    The fact is, the second you opened up a Gmail acct, you handed over any and all rights to your privacy. Take an hour and go online and read their privacy policy. You'll be enlightened, guaranteed!

A few weeks ago I downloaded the Fandago app after I found out that our local theatre tickets could be purchased through this app.
    I always read the TOS & Privacy Policy when I download an app that requires any of my banking information. (And I'm not talking about what they tell you on the Play Store....those permissions are too vague) Before making the ticket purchase, I read the policy top to bottom, and found out exactly how much access to my phone and exactly how much of my personal information Fandango shares with third parties. After I saw that these third parties have complete access to my credit information, AND my credit history, I immediately cancelled my Fandango acct and uninstalled the app. There's no reason a movie ticket app (or the companies they are associated with) need access to my credit history.

Point is, by creating a Gmail acct, you automatically gave complete access to Google (and their third party associates) to do with what they will. You can't control that....it's the price we pay for living in the digital age. But, you CAN control what apps you download and the excessive permissions many of them ask for.
    As someone previously mentioned.....just because they have these permissions doesn't mean they will use them maliciously. You simply have to decide for yourself, how much is too much.

tap'n
    If I were rich I'd use one use dumbphones. Throw it away after each call. I know how stupid that sounds but really the rights of the individual (which is all any country ever has) are nearly gone now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    11-11-2013 05:41 PM

I'm not defending Android or anything else. I don't need to. I have no vested interest in whether Android fails or succeeds. I'm OS agnostic. Any app that you use that interfaces with any other app on your device will require permissions. That's just a fact of life. And guess what? Your SIM free phone with monthly SIMs runs on someones network and that someone knows every website you visit, every text you get, every text you send, where you're at, etc. If you're that paranoid about it then you need to give up the idea of using a smartphone. But hey, what do I know? I'm just guy who has spent the last 20+ years as a criminal investigator. Cheers!
    11-13-2013 12:02 AM
    I'm so conflicted. I turned on Google Now just to see what it can do and potentially it can have a 24/7 record of everything I do, say, what I look like, where I go...

I'll turn it off at some point but at the same time it gives me the creeps it's still a neat function in a way.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    11-13-2013 12:07 AM

No, you're complaining about a nonexistent problem. As people have explained, apps need access to different parts of your phone and data stored on it to perform the functions for which you downloaded a given app in the first place. And if you believe that iOS or blackberry apps don't do the same - including the bundled apps, you're wrong. If you do not believe that apps shouldn't have access to any data on the phone, you misjudge the whole purpose of smartphones and apps.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-13-2013 12:14 AM
33 12