Hoping someone can help me with this... how do I get google maps voice navigation over car speakers?
    I previously was using an iphone.. in that google maps would start a phone call (the media console in the car would display an incoming call from my number) which would stream over car speakers. My car comes with basic bluetooth support, I can do phone calls over bluetooth but no songs.
    How do I enable this for the nexus 5?
    11-06-2013 05:39 PM
    With my stereo I just pair the two devices and away I go. No fake phone calls needed and no additional settings to make the Google maps audio go out Bluetooth.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    J T M likes this.
    11-06-2013 06:14 PM
    Wrong post
    11-06-2013 07:47 PM
    You have to enable Bluetooth audio on your car media system. If you don't have that option it may be that your car does not support that Bluetooth profile, just the phone profile. From your post, it appears that iPhone may work around this by using the Bluetooth phone profile on the car and I have not seen an Android phone do this. Someone else might have a different experience though.

BTW, the new version of Maps and navigate has been gutted of many useful features.
    11-07-2013 09:52 AM
    I tried it again today, while I was on a phone call. When the phone call is active, voice navigation uses car speakers. Once the call is terminated, it switches back to phone speakers
    Dont know if the iphone workaround was implemented by apple or by google for their maps app, but it was neat. That along with orientation lock toggle (why should I have to install a 3rd party widget for this basic function!)
    11-07-2013 12:44 PM
    Yeah if your Radio doesn't support A2DP its a problem. If you have an Aux you could play your Phone's Audio through that(Podcasts, Pandora etc.) and it would be interrupted by the Navigation. Its not an optimum solution since you'll use data instead of your free radio...but it will work.

Otherwise you know you wanted a new radio anyway didn't you?
    11-07-2013 04:13 PM
    I don't need new radio.I just didn't expect things that were working to break
    11-08-2013 01:32 AM
    Does music play through the speakers on bluetooth? On my old HTC One and Parrot handsfree, audio for satnav only worked when music was playing. I need to try my Nexus 5 next time I use my car.
    11-08-2013 02:29 AM
    I am with you on this one, I was a user of iPhone for a long time, I recently switch to android and this problem was one thing I noticed first, it was very convenient. Just like you, I would just get into my car, Bluetooth would just connect and for directions, maps would just shut my radio, and make use of the speakers, just like a fake call. I have now a nexus five, and my car is a Nissan with a simple car stereo, no fancy stuff, just a normal hands free. Hard to loose this neat feature.
    11-20-2013 06:37 AM
    Is there an app/widget which will force change BT profile to hands free?
    11-20-2013 01:11 PM
    Is there an app/widget which will force change BT profile to hands free?
    NFC sticker on your cradle maybe?
    11-20-2013 02:18 PM
    I tested out my Maps with my N5 on my Bluetooth car stereo and it worked pretty seamless for me. Didn't try it while on call, but I always play music via BT on my phone and when the turn-by-turn instructions come on, the music mutes a little, the instructions are said, and my music continues playing at normal volume through my car speakers. The instructions are slightly quieter than I'd like it, though. Other than that, I don't share the same issues you guys are encountering...

Didn't change any settings. Didn't modify anything. Everything connects automatically.
    11-20-2013 03:03 PM
    That is because your car company has not nickel and dimed you out of complete BT integration. For the unfortunate ones like me, where bluetooth hands free works but audio streaming is a part of 800$ bluetooth package for the car, the iOS workaround was god sent.
    11-20-2013 05:09 PM
    The App "Super BT Mono Froyo" is what I use. My car also only comes with hands free profile, not A2DP profile (there is no option to add it otherwise). The only downside is that once you turned on the app, it will force radio into Phone mode and you can't play anything else.

For Navigation sound, this works fine. But for play music/podcast, it won't work well unless you reboot your phone before use it. Even that, the audio quality will be horrible.

There are a few other similar apps. But so far this one works most reliable.
    11-20-2013 05:09 PM
    NFC sticker on your cradle maybe?
    NFC works with car speakers??
    11-20-2013 05:10 PM
    BT will only work when the input on your stereo is set to BT. To play music, just go to the BT input (same for nav)
    11-20-2013 06:22 PM
    BT will only work when the input on your stereo is set to BT. To play music, just go to the BT input (same for nav)
    You are still think about the car system that supports BT stereo/A2DP profile. That's what BT input is for. Hands free profile will take over any inputs the second it is on. For example, if you receive a phone call, you don't need to switch over to BT input, it automatically mute everything and put your phone calls in.
    What OP asks and many in this thread talked about is car system that only support BT hands free and no BT stereo.
    11-20-2013 08:19 PM
    NFC works with car speakers??
    I meant you can create a NFC sticker that turns on BT, pairs and puts the phone in car mode and opens navigation.
    11-21-2013 09:10 AM
    That is because your car company has not nickel and dimed you out of complete BT integration. For the unfortunate ones like me, where bluetooth hands free works but audio streaming is a part of 800$ bluetooth package for the car, the iOS workaround was god sent.
    Ah, wow. I drive a pretty old car and just bought a BT deck for $120 on sale....no fancy shmancy $800 deck for me lol. Sounds like something Apple would do if they produced cars...not to mention a Civic produced by Apple would cost about $80K for the base model. No A/C, no radio, no sunroof.
    11-21-2013 11:58 AM
    haha... well luxury has a price
    11-21-2013 01:18 PM