N5 on AT&T Q&A

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft employees (depending on which department they work in) around here get that. $45 per month, and they can tether.

True, but you do that with an AT&T sold phone and it is. But, hey, get a Nexus and its all good

Posted via Android Central App

Interesting. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been looking through the forums, and I've seen some correct and incorrect info about the N5 and getting it hooked up on AT&T service.

As a corporate Retail Sales Consultant for AT&T, and a member of these forms, I'd like to help anyone with questions about the Nexus 5 and either postpaid or GoPhone plans, service, and general how-to when entering a store.

I'll try to answer questions as fast and as best as I can

Is your go phone service the same as postpaid service meaning is the LTE the same coverage and speed? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Blake Mead

May 21, 2013
Visit site
1) I saw it briefly mentioned in the forum, but just to make sure; I can still use my AT&T tethering with my soon to arrive Nexus 5 correct?

2) When activating my Nexus 5 do I have to go to an AT&T store or can I just plug the SIM from my GS4 in and run with it?

Thank you!

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Do GoPhone and/or AT&T mvno customers also benefit from using carrier-partner networks (ie T-Mobile) that post-paid subscribers do when "off" AT&T's network as part of their plan?

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Do GoPhone and/or AT&T mvno customers also benefit from using carrier-partner networks (ie T-Mobile) that post-paid subscribers do when "off" AT&T's network as part of their plan?

No. Roaming is not including in prepaid plans.

Posted from the awesome new Nexus 7

tw33k2514

May 19, 2012
Visit site
One more question. If I cancel only 1 of the 2 lines on my family plan will they make me extend my contract with the phone that will still be on postpaid to change its plan?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
GoPhone customers ( since june 2013) are treated on par with postpaid at&t customers - they use the same apn settings. I specifically asked at&t tech support and was told that go phone customers are now on the same n/w as postpaid. This means that they should in theory have same access to roaming ( as long as the phone also supports roaming partner frequencies).
Yeah, Aio customers have to go through a proxy. There's a youtube video where a guy does a speedtest with an AT&T sim (i don't remember if it was gophone or contract sim), and has a ping in the 60's. He pops in Aio sim, and ping goes into the 200s.
GoPhone doesn't throttle your data speeds. 8mb/s is about the average HSPA+ speeds for AT&T in some areas. Their LTE is much faster, maybe more than twice or three times that.

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
One more question. If I cancel only 1 of the 2 lines on my family plan will they make me extend my contract with the phone that will still be on postpaid to change its plan?

Nope, the contracts are associated with the line only. Be sure to get the plan switched to an individual plan for the one line

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
1) I saw it briefly mentioned in the forum, but just to make sure; I can still use my AT&T tethering with my soon to arrive Nexus 5 correct?

2) When activating my Nexus 5 do I have to go to an AT&T store or can I just plug the SIM from my GS4 in and run with it?

Thank you!

1. You can tether naively with the nexus

2. Not coming from the S4. LTE data is already on your account, so you're good.

Might not be a bad idea to get the IMEI changed, depending on what you plan on doing with the S4.

As in; I removed my HTC One from my account, so I could sell it to a friend and get him hooked up with the $60 GoPhone plan

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
1. Can I upgrade the number of minutes I want and still keep my unlimited?
2. So I can tether without a tething plan on the N5 and they cannot track due to no carrier check software?

Last edited:

Only1Z

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I get conflicting reviews of the coverage being the same between GoPhone and postpaid. Gekko said in post #47 that since June 2013, GoPhone customers are treated on par with postpaid AT&T and use the same APN settings and that the network is the same (roaming included). Then I hear other things from other people. What is the real truth? If this is really true that coverage is the same, I'll be switching to GoPhone and giving up my unlimited LTE and 24% corporate discount. :)

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I get conflicting reviews of the coverage being the same between GoPhone and postpaid. Gekko said in post #47 that since June 2013, GoPhone customers are treated on par with postpaid AT&T and use the same APN settings and that the network is the same (roaming included). Then I hear other things from other people. What is the real truth? If this is really true that coverage is the same, I'll be switching to GoPhone and giving up my unlimited LTE and 24% corporate discount. :)

Gekko is telling the truth: GoPhone customers are treated the same as postpaid customers. The only difference is GoPhone doesn?t allow roaming, due to it being a prepaid service.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Gekko is telling the truth: GoPhone customers are treated the same as postpaid customers. The only difference is GoPhone doesn’t allow roaming, due to it being a prepaid service.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mobile Nations mobile app

the roaming is still in question. i have not yet seen any evidence anywhere that AT&T GoPhone does not roam same as AT&T postpaid. my gut tells me that it is the same exact coverage.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
the roaming is still in question. i have not yet seen any evidence anywhere that AT&T GoPhone does not roam same as AT&T postpaid. my gut tells me that it is the same exact coverage.

I am beginning to agree. I went on the AT&T website to view the coverage. When switching between Go-Phone prepaid and postpaid, the map doesn't change any. It seems to be the exact same for both.

Posted from the awesome new Nexus 7

fz1jmp

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello and thanks for your answers. I have a question;

I have an HTC One with AT&T and have a N5 on the way. I wanted to keep them both, just swap sim's until I figure out which one I want to make my daily. Any issue with just popping my HTC One sim into the N5, playing with it, then putting it back into the One??

Thanks!!

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
1. Can I upgrade the number of minutes I want and still keep my unlimited?
2. If they took my IMEI when activating and I tether can they still get me or good to go?

1. Sure can

2. I haven't got in trouble. I don't have tethering on my plan. I use my data to activate phones when our WiFi is slow

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

They don't roam outside AT&T's network. Say, there's an area where T-Mo has coverage. You'd roam and be okay on postpaid. But with GoPhone, you'd have no coverage.

It doesn't happen often, but that's what's up.

BTW, Gekko...spot on with answers

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello and thanks for your answers. I have a question;

I have an HTC One with AT&T and have a N5 on the way. I wanted to keep them both, just swap sim's until I figure out which one I want to make my daily. Any issue with just popping my HTC One sim into the N5, playing with it, then putting it back into the One??

Thanks!!

Not at all. LTE is provisioned on your account already, so you're good

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
As it was explained to me about a year ago from a buddy who works for at&t Mobility as an Engineer, domestic roaming is basically a thing of the past.

Almost anywhere an at&t customer (prepaid or postpaid) goes he or she is registered on a native at&t Mobility cell site.

In fact in those places where an at&t customer might need to roam onto the local provider due to there being no available native at&t coverage at&t does not even sell its products thus, most prepaid users would never be able to obtain their services and thus would never have the need to roam onto that local provider.

Again, for the most part, the average user will never have a need to roam onto that local carrier as there is some (being the operative word) native at&t coverage available.

Dan

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles