Battery theory

Ice_Cold_Q

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
So people have been telling me that when you first get an electronic e.g. phone, laptops etc your first ever charge on the device should be 8 hours long so the battery is at its full potential, is this true?

On a side note, how do you enable voice dictation on the keyboard in messaging?

Posted via The one, The only, The Nexus 5

Zapped

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: switching to voice on-the-fly - there's a microphone icon to the left of the spacebar on the default Google keyboard.

You don't have to even drill into Hangouts or your favorite SMS app, though. From Google Now you can also just say "Text <contact name or phone number> <your message>". Or from the home screen, say "OK Google" then say "Text <contact name or phone number> <your message>".

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
There's a microphone icon to the left of the spacebar on the default Google keyboard.

You don't have to even drill into Hangouts or your favorite SMS app, though. From Google Now you can also just say "Text <contact name or phone number> <your message>".

the mic icon is not there by default. you have to check the box per my above post. unlike prior Android devices and OS iterations - default is unchecked this time around.

Zapped

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
@Gekko - our responses "crossed in the mail" so I wasn't trying to contradict you - I hit "Reply" before seeing you had also posted. Anyhoo I didn't know you had actively enable voice typing - I thought that mic icon was there on my N4 and now on my N5 without me toggling that setting. But maybe I did it eons ago & Android backup/restore pulled it forward for me automagically.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
@Gekko - our responses "crossed in the mail" so I wasn't trying to contradict you - I hit "Reply" before seeing you had also posted. Anyhoo I didn't know you had actively enable voice typing - I thought that mic icon was there on my N4 and now on my N5 without me toggling that setting. But maybe I did it eons ago & Android backup/restore pulled it forward for me automagically.

no worries. it always was on by default on my past devices - OG EVO and G-Nex. hence my shock when i got the Nexus 5 and went to use it and it was not there by default.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
So people have been telling me that when you first get an electronic e.g. phone, laptops etc your first ever charge on the device should be 8 hours long so the battery is at its full potential, is this true?

On a side note, how do you enable voice dictation on the keyboard in messaging?

That's not correct, Li ion battery has no memory effect, you can charge whenever you want, unplug at any percentage you want.

All you need to avoid, is higher temperature, deep discharge, high voltage.

@T-Mobile GN3

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
so your saying dnt wait till the battery is low(15% or lower) to charge the phone?:confused:

I think he means if you charge your phone to 100% you should charge it again before it huts 50%
Doesn't sound right though ...

Posted via Android Central App

Ice_Cold_Q

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
So yeah guys I'm thinking of getting an RMA because i didn't charge my phone for 8 hours for my first charge, I'm willing to do this because I'm gna keep this phone for the next 3 years so dnt want any regrets on maybe what i could have done to make the battery even better than it already is

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
So yeah guys I'm thinking of getting an RMA because i didn't charge my phone for 8 hours for my first charge, I'm willing to do this because I'm gna keep this phone for the next 3 years so dnt want any regrets on maybe what i could have done to make the battery even better than it already is

RMA? you're crazy. there's nothing wrong with your phone or battery. keep it.

trade it in and run the risk of getting a legit bad one or a refurbished one? you're crazy.

lower your anxiety level and relax.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
That first charge does not dictate the performance of the life of your battery. It's fine.

Posted via Android Central App

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
so your saying dnt wait till the battery is low(15% or lower) to charge the phone?:confused:

Well, during thenormal use, Yes, charge when you can, don't wait for it to drop too low.

And do partial charge only, charge onlyto less than 85, don't charge to 100.

First charge cannot possibly, and should not possibly affect its life cycle.

Now, to judge the battery life, you need to do a calibration, so system can record a discharge curve, so it can report you battery percentage accurately (calibration should be done every 30 to 40 charging cycles). To do that, charge to 100 percent, drain to less than 10, then charge back to 100, then test you battery to see how long it lasts.

@T-Mobile GN3

Matt Casey

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
My understanding of deep discharge is when the battery charge goes below around 10%. On a regular usage basis, it's optimal to not let the charge go below 20%. With typical usage definitely charge the phone whenever warned that it's getting low at around 15%. Occasionally if needed to recalibrate battery monitors, it's ok to discharge from 100% to 5%. There is a Joe the Android Guy youtube video on this
( youtube.com/watch?v=rOi1NF7Ipek ) and also Battery University articles
( http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_charge_when_to_charge_table ).

Maybe the most important thing to protect long-term battery capacity is to avoid exposing the phone to very high temperatures. Battery university warns not to charge lithium ion batteries at temperature greater than 50 degrees centigrade (122 Fahrenheit).

As far as using faster chargers goes, if the charging rate is kept below 1C (2300mA for Nexus 5) and even better kept below .7C (1610mA for Nexus 5) than according to Battery University there should be no measurable adverse effect on long-term battery capacity from relatively faster charging rates. Also according to Anand Tech ( http://www.anandtech.com/show/7517/google-nexus-5-review/), the Nexus 5 should automatically restrict charging rates to a maximum of 1500mA, so using 2A or 2.1A chargers would not exceed the recommended .7C charge rate.

Last edited:

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
OP, read the linked posted article in 2nd post. That's very accurate information. Everything you were told so far (not from this thread) are totally wrong. For example, if you fully discharge your battery, it will do more harm than good because Li-ion batteries only have somewhere around 500 full discharge cycles and you just used 1 and there are 499 to go before your battery dies. And every li-ion battery has a charging circuit that will automatically cut off the charging when it reaches 100% (otherwise the battery will literally explode). So leave it charging for 8 hours or 1 hour makes zero difference to battery life.

dazzer87

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

LOL man these excues to RMA....btw how does a battery know its the first time (to fully charge it for 8 hours) SMH

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
OP, read the linked posted article in 2nd post. That's very accurate information. Everything you were told so far (not from this thread) are totally wrong. For example, if you fully discharge your battery, it will do more harm than good because Li-ion batteries only have somewhere around 500 full discharge cycles and you just used 1 and there are 499 to go before your battery dies. And every li-ion battery has a charging circuit that will automatically cut off the charging when it reaches 100% (otherwise the battery will literally explode). So leave it charging for 8 hours or 1 hour makes zero difference to battery life.

Completely wrong, although having some valid points, the article in that link is filled with amateur errors, written by an arrogant author who makes all fancy statement with no real understanding.

the most accurate information is from batteryuniversity.com which contain scientific test data of Li ion batteries.

Your statement regarding charging cycles, charging times are also completely off, there is no certain pre set number of cycles, proper handling of battery can prolong the number is cycles significantly. It's also not that battery will be dead by then, it merely lose capacity to 70%, a level used to judge the battery longevity.

Battery also is under stress at high voltage level, charging 8 hrs would mean it is at high voltage unnecessarily for 6 hours, it can not possibly be good.

@T-Mobile GN3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane