No one else disappointed by Google Navigate?

Jamie Silver

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Google appear to have gutted this app. No alternate routes, no search on route, no clicking the time to see route overview with traffic. I used this all the time, now it is just bog standard point to point navigation.

Very disappointed by this. Or am I missing something and these things are hidden away somewhere.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used Google Maps ever since they merged the Navigation app with Maps.
Same here. It is a giant step backwards. I like to use Nav app just show the road ahead when I drive around with no route plotted. Now it is impossible to do.

Same can be said with Google Maps website. The new site UI is worthless and difficult to use for some simple tasks. Good thing is you can roll back to old UI.

The ppl behind Google Maps should all be fired, IMO. All maybe that's just what they want to sabotage the Gmaps intentionally so that they can get new jobs at their old boss, Marissa Mayer's place :)

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Ditto! That last update made Maps/Navigation way too simple. Now I only use Maps just to look around or search things, but to actually navigate while driving I've been using Waze. Now that they're also under Google I'm hoping that maybe eventually big G will just turn that into their default Nav app.

jwcivic

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've also been disappointed with the voice directions. Never noticed it until I had to use my wife's iPhone and the iPhone's directions are just much clearer. The turn prompts come sooner and give you a heads up so you can prepare. Maps directions give me the exit or turn command when I about to enter the intersection.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I've been using Scout for my navigation needs. I like being able to download maps to my SD card.

pranxx

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Alternate routes are present. When you select a location, the alternate routes (if present) are visible when you scroll down. When you select one of them , the display shows the selected route in blue. The bottom shows the drive time and miles in () and a start button to its right. You can scroll horizontally on that to see the other routes at this stage too.
Route overview is also available if you click on the 3 vertical buttons next to the time bar at the bottom.
As for searching along route, I dont know about that.

Jamie Silver

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
OK, I see alternate routes when planning a trip - side swiping gives me those which is good.

But the route overview still is not as good as on the prior UI plus it takes clicking on the dots then selecting the menu item. It also used to be that there was an alternate routes button that showed up when the route overview was selected and you could clearly see how bad your traffic was on the currently planned route. It seems you can now only get alternate routes when replanning the trip from the beginning rather than from within the trip. I used to sing the praises of this particular feature to everyone. I always said it was too good to be free. Guess they are pushing me over to Wayz.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
OK, I see alternate routes when planning a trip - side swiping gives me those which is good.

But the route overview still is not as good as on the prior UI plus it takes clicking on the dots then selecting the menu item. It also used to be that there was an alternate routes button that showed up when the route overview was selected and you could clearly see how bad your traffic was on the currently planned route. It seems you can now only get alternate routes when replanning the trip from the beginning rather than from within the trip. I used to sing the praises of this particular feature to everyone. I always said it was too good to be free. Guess they are pushing me over to Wayz.

Under what circumstances do you need to manually initiate multiple routes to a destination while you are enroute since Google has now implemented automatic rerouting based on traffic conditions in real time while enroute?

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Somebody's allowed a real downgrade in the quality of several Google apps recently. I don't know who's responsible for this backslide but they need to be shown the door.

A huge part of why I'm on android is the deep integration with Google services. Now those services are starting to suck. Google Maps which we've all appreciated as being the king of map apps has gone from being the premier map app to being mediocre in the span of 1 update.

Is it coincidental that all this started to happen when Sunjit or whatever his name is took over for Android? I'm beginning to think he's f-ing things up for Android in a big way. I bet Elop likes him right now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks