Nexus 5: Naked or Case?

Naked or Case?

• Total voters

gene1138

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Naked of Case?

I hate the idea of getting an ultra thin phone and then bulking it up with a case. I've gone naked with my galaxy nexus, s4 and now the nexus 5. So far I've been able to keep them pretty much scratch free though it's still the early days with the 5.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Because I bought the Nexus 5 without my boyfriend knowing. He thinks smartphones are stupid and a waste of money, and it would start an argument if he found out I got it.

Fortunately, all phones look about the same to him. And the Nexus 4 and 5 look very similar from the front. So I got a case so he would not know I bought a new phone.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

I got the Spigen Neo-Hybrid to provide some protection as I often have the phone lying around the office and in my pocket (sometimes with other misc. items). I feel a little more at ease knowing the device as some level of protection as opposed to none at all.

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Using Spigen Neo-Hyrbid for now (still waiting on Ultra hybrid). I would very much prefer to never have this in a case as I love the naked feel, but I do not trust myself to not do something stupid and drop it. Seems to always happen when I choose not to use a case.

macleod52

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site

Just ordered a case. Why? Because I like having nice things. I want my phone to look brand new 3 years from now. Also, I can get maximum $$$ for it. When I sell my iPhone later this month I'll be getting top dollar vs significantly less had it looked used and abused.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Naked all the way! i have never used a case. I could care less about resell value, I never sell my phones. They end up in the old phone drawer. Good bye old friend (Galaxy Nexus) Hello Nexus 5! If they did not put nexus 5 on the screen protector i would have left it on, that was the best screen protector I have seen on a phone in a long time.

TheDoctor 46

May 31, 2012
Visit site

What a ****!
Because I bought the Nexus 5 without my boyfriend knowing. He thinks smartphones are stupid and a waste of money, and it would start an argument if he found out I got it.

Fortunately, all phones look about the same to him. And the Nexus 4 and 5 look very similar from the front. So I got a case so he would not know I bought a new phone.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Him of course! Why the technology hate?
Just that type of guy. He gets confused by computers easily and it ticks him off. I got a case to avoid a fight...normally I would not use a case, and I don't think the nexus 5 really needs one.

The only reason my Nexus 4 broke was because the glass back. A call came in and it vibrated and slid off a FLAT surface, cracking the display. I don't expect that problem with the Nexus 5 and the plastic back.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Case, because I want something to protect the tempered glass SP I plan on using to protect the screen.

Normally I hate cases because of the added bulk and the feel they have when depressing the buttons they cover. Just got Amazon.com: [Non-Slip] SPIGEN Google Nexus 5 Case Slim [Ultra Fit] [Smooth Black] Premium SF Coated Matte Hard Case for Nexus 5 - Smooth Black: Cell Phones & Accessories in and, while it doesn't offer a whole lot of protection to the phone, it adds virtually no bulk to the phone, exposes the keys rather than covering them, and should do well to protect the edge of the SP.

DefinedByClass13

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

Case, because I want something to protect the tempered glass SP I plan on using to protect the screen.

Normally I hate cases because of the added bulk and the feel they have when depressing the buttons they cover. Just got Amazon.com: [Non-Slip] SPIGEN Google Nexus 5 Case Slim [Ultra Fit] [Smooth Black] Premium SF Coated Matte Hard Case for Nexus 5 - Smooth Black: Cell Phones & Accessories in and, while it doesn't offer a whole lot of protection to the phone, it adds virtually no bulk to the phone, exposes the keys rather than covering them, and should do well to protect the edge of the SP.

That looks like a nice case, especially the clear shell since I have a white Nexus. I wanted the Ultra Hybrid for that reason, but some initial reviews put me off. I ordered the Diztronic Matte Black TPU case that is mentioned in the Accessories section and should be receiving it soon. I've had my phone since Tuesday so I was using it sans-case. There is a wholesale mobile accessories warehouse near me that just received a simple TPU soft case so I picked one up in the mean time (Google Nexus 5 TPU Cases | EmpireCase.com.) Admittedly, I love these simple flexible TPU cases, but I'm willing to try out a hard plastic case provided that it is really slim to avoid unnecessary bulk to an already slim device.

I think if it weren't for the white back side getting dirty, I'd rock it naked. But luckily these clear option cases are available to showcase the backside.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

Because I had a friend's kid drop my old smart phone and break it before. This Nexus 5 cost $399. I am using a Spigen Nexus 5 Slim Armor Air Cushioned Protective. That adds 1.5mm on face and 2.0 mm on the back side for thickness. That 3.5mm is nothing in thickness and it doesn't add much weight. It is better for re-sale value and I think it even looks nice.

Last edited:

Josh McFly

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

I hate the idea of getting an ultra thin phone and then bulking it up with a case. I've gone naked with my galaxy nexus, s4 and now the nexus 5. So far I've been able to keep them pretty much scratch free though it's still the early days with the 5.

I agree

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

Naked because this phone isn't fragile. I like the thinness also.

I will be buying the official Google bumper in bright yellow if they ever release it. Just because it is so LOUD. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair