Google Voice on Nexus 5

traumadoc2b

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I am migrating from Verizon GNex to Nexus 5 on Consumer Cellular (AT&T).

On my GNex, I had all calls routed through Google Voice, and whenever I made an outgoing call, it displayed my GV number on the other person's caller ID. Unfortunately, now on the Nexus 5, it shows my actual cell phone number. That's a problem - I don't want people to have that number, I want them to see and use my GV number.

Any suggestions?

traumadoc2b

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the same as it was on my GNex...

Within Google Voice, under Settings, 'Making calls' I have selected 'Use Google Voice to make all calls.

traumadoc2b

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I think I figured out part of the problem. When I use the native Android Kit Kat phone dialer (did I mention I'm not a big fan of the new app?), it seems to be dialing from my cell phone directly, regardless of the settings in GV. However, when I call a number using the 'People' app, and the GV settings for 'Use GV to make all calls', it works like it should - the phone screen shows that I'm calling the correct number, and underneath it, it says "Calling via Google Voice", and it lists the random GV number it is using to connect.

So, I wonder if there will be fix to this, or if there is a 3rd party phone dialer app for Kit Kat that would allow me to use GV all the time. I would hate to think that I need to first add every number I ever wanted to call to my phonebook before calling it, just to have the call placed through GV every time.

*UPDATE* Now it seems that if I dial the entire 10 digit number, including the area code, it will use GV to complete the call. If I only dial the 7 digit number, within my area code, it dials directly and displays my cell phone number in Caller ID. Argh, I hate having to always dial the area code for local numbers.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
*UPDATE* Now it seems that if I dial the entire 10 digit number, including the area code, it will use GV to complete the call. If I only dial the 7 digit number, within my area code, it dials directly and displays my cell phone number in Caller ID. Argh, I hate having to always dial the area code for local numbers.

That's strange. Honestly I've never tried not using the area code on a mobile phone, didn't know that was a thing. It's been so many years since "local numbers" were a thing that I kinda forgot there were 7 digit numbers :) haha

So you don't have to add the number as a contact, just have to include the area code and it works correctly?

mldiroff

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Yup, that seems to be the case. Still don't like the new native dialer for Kit Kat though.

This is actually something that I have always had happen. I have a local pizza place programmed into contacts, but without the area code. It calls using my cell # vs. Google Voice.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
In my city you always have to dial an area code because there are three different ones. I guess it depends on the metropolitan area, and how big it is.

I like the new dialer. What I also like is how easy Google voice is to set up and use on nexus phones.

I've heard that next year Google voice may be integrated into the handouts app. I'm not sure how I will like that. It depends on how they do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
One question...Does the carrier support call forwarding and all that? I have heard of some carriers do not. Att seems to work fine for me but I am a post paid customer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC