Wi-Fi hotspot for T-Mobile isn't working.

anon(43926)

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I tried tethering my friends iPhone to my Nexus 5 at work today and when I tried to connect it takes me to a tmobile website saying I do not have a hotspot account.... So I put my SIM back in my nexus 4 and I had no troubles sharing my data connection. Can i not share my Wi-Fi do to lte?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Wi-Fi hotspot for tmobile not working

Call tmobile tech support and make them escalate your issue to their engineers.

I had exactly same problem before.

@T-Mobile GN3

anon(43926)

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

I just called tmobile and they told me that they do not allow mobile tethering anymore since they are in the process of migrating everyone into there new plans. The only way to is to sign up for a tethering plan. Hmmmmmm

Sent from my Butthole using Angry Birds app

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

I just called tmobile and they told me that they do not allow mobile tethering anymore since they are in the process of migrating everyone into there new plans. The only way to is to sign up for a tethering plan. Hmmmmmm

that doesn't sounds right. what plan do you have?

anon(43926)

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

500 minute value plan with unlimited nationwide 4g

anon(43926)

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

They said I need to switch up to simple choice plan

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

you probably need to, I don't think there is a 500 min value plan any more.

anon(43926)

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

Confusing since they said I would be in a no contact plan but still obligated to my 2 year agreement

anon(43926)

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

But the person who helped me didn't really know what she was talking about, which makes me think. She asked how I had a nexus 5 if tmobile hasn't released it yet? I told her I bought it at the play store.

csloomis

May 4, 2010
Visit site

If I remember correctly they had released a statement that all plans were going to be transitioned to Simple Choice plans anyways.

anon(43926)

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, that's what she told me. But the weird thing is that I can tether with my nexus 4 though. I wonder if it not being a lte device has something to do with it.

anon(43926)

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

Or maybe the nexus 5 is not on their system yet? I'm stumped.

csloomis

May 4, 2010
Visit site

It could be either of those problems. Try changing your preferred network mode down to 3g so it is off of LTE and see if it works then. If it does it answers the question.

anon(43926)

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

3ubyba2e.jpg
nope I still get this. I guess the nexus 4 is the only one allowed by tmobile for free hotspot. I guess I'll just take both phones to work and switch as necessary.

thefishhawk

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

I think in the fine print somewhere the nationwide unlimited 4g is the only plan that doesn't have some amount of tethering built in. That's what i have also and can't tether. I think it might have been weird that it was working on the 4.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I think in the fine print somewhere the nationwide unlimited 4g is the only plan that doesn't have some amount of tethering built in. That's what i have also and can't tether. I think it might have been weird that it was working on the 4.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

Unlimited 4G prepaid plans now get 2.5GB of tethering as do the 2.5GB 4G plans and all prepaid plans have some tethering. I can't speak for the old contract plans or the post paid ones.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/09/3ubyba2e.jpg nope I still get this. I guess the nexus 4 is the only one allowed by tmobile for free hotspot. I guess I'll just take both phones to work and switch as necessary.

Are you using the T-Mobile app or just going into the N5 settings and starting the hotspot from there?

anon(43926)

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

N5 settings and toggling the hot spot. Same as I do with the nexus 4.

fredo166

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/09/3ubyba2e.jpg nope I still get this. I guess the nexus 4 is the only one allowed by tmobile for free hotspot. I guess I'll just take both phones to work and switch as necessary.

I had to get a new micro sim card for my phone since my old Galaxy Nexus used the regular sized sim card so I went to a T-mobile store. The guy gave me a free sim and saw that I was on an old Value plan and asked if I wanted to switch to the new Simple Choice plan with unlimited 4g. He mentioned it comes with 2.5gb of tethering. I tried tethering after putting the new sim card in and got the same screen you did about not having hotspot service. But my new Simple Choice service didn't kick in until today. I just tried it now and tethering is indeed working just fine.

Edit: I was able to tether just fine with my Galaxy Nexus with my old plan. So I don't know how they are able to detect tethering now. I don't know if it's because of the new sim card or the Nexus 5.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc