Nexus 5 microphone issue?

chukka63

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5: Phone Calls using earpiece (Microphone and Speaker) problem

I'm sending mine back because it also sends 2 texts on most occasions.I really love Nexus phones but they aren't as good as i want them.I also find the connectivity is poor compared to other makes but im going to persevere for the time being.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5: Phone Calls using earpiece (Microphone and Speaker) problem

I'm sending mine back because it also sends 2 texts on most occasions.I really love Nexus phones but they aren't as good as i want them.I also find the connectivity is poor compared to other makes but im going to persevere for the time being.

Seriously?

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Cadenz

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Someone in the Google product forums figured out it was the noise cancelation microphone on the top of the device. I just confirmed this by covering and uncovering the top mic while on a call and the person on the other side was able to hear me clearly when I cover the top mic, but very muffled when I uncovered the top mic.

optimus

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Someone in the Google product forums figured out it was the noise cancelation microphone on the top of the device. I just confirmed this by covering and uncovering the top mic while on a call and the person on the other side was able to hear me clearly when I cover the top mic, but very muffled when I uncovered the top mic.

Confirmed.. I took the plastic off the top mic and people could hear me fine.

Smh..

nismospec

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
read through the posts and it seems like I have a similar problem.
while on a call the other side can hear me fine, but the person i'm talking to fades in/out every few seconds. goes from hearing them perfectly clear to sounding like they're wispering.
I use my phone for work a lot so i'm hoping a quick fix comes out for this or it'll have to go back just because I can't be upsetting people I work with by repeating "what did you say" over and over again.

Replying to myself on this one because I had an "ah-ha" moment and i'm wondering if anyone else may be doing the same.
While on a call sound quality was good, then I coughed, right after the sound faded as i've been experiencing. That got me to realize that the slight cough movement caused the speaker to be slightly offset from my eardrum. Since the speaker is round and small, if it is not planted directly in your eardrum you won't hear much.

Sounds silly, but all of my other phones have had a linear/horizontal speaker which covered much more of your ear than this small circle.
That being said, now if i'm holding the phone perfectly (which takes more effort than any other phone i've had), sound is crystal clear and loud.

My two cents.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Replying to myself on this one because I had an "ah-ha" moment and i'm wondering if anyone else may be doing the same.
While on a call sound quality was good, then I coughed, right after the sound faded as i've been experiencing. That got me to realize that the slight cough movement caused the speaker to be slightly offset from my eardrum. Since the speaker is round and small, if it is not planted directly in your eardrum you won't hear much.

Sounds silly, but all of my other phones have had a linear/horizontal speaker which covered much more of your ear than this small circle.
That being said, now if i'm holding the phone perfectly (which takes more effort than any other phone i've had), sound is crystal clear and loud.

My two cents.

the problem is not that Nexus 5 users can't hear callers. the problem is that callers can't hear Nexus 5 users.

imjimmy

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
For everyone having the problem...

Have you removed all the plastic and cases off the phone and confirmed?

There is NO plastic on the black Nexus 5 16 GB on the MIC at the top or on the speaker and mike at the bottom. I've heard it's on the white model maybe.

Can anyone confirm this? I've checked properly and don't see any plastic anywhere. Nor do I remember removing anything.

The only covering was the screen protector from Google which had NEXUS written on it.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
There is NO plastic on the black Nexus 5 16 GB on the MIC at the top or on the speaker and mike at the bottom. I've heard it's on the white model maybe.

Can anyone confirm this? I've checked properly and don't see any plastic anywhere. Nor do I remember removing anything.

The only covering was the screen protector from Google which had NEXUS written on it.

you are correct. i think there was a piece on the camera lens but the black model definitely did not have all of the extra protective plastic that the white one did.

Zsoltk

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here. I just started to use for calls my phone yesterday, made 3 phonecalls without any problem,today nobody hear me:(
Update: after read the whole topic i tried to cover second mic when i speak and with this is perfect now. I mean the other side can her me. So definetly the second mic problem. I hope software issue. But if google replacing the phones that means they dont know about this problem

Last edited:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
ok i just did a test - i completely covered up the top noise cancelling microphone with my finger as i left a voicemail message for someone. i then played back my voicemail message and it was clear as a bell. i think we have found the problem!

Zsoltk

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I cannot believe why google didnt do anything with this very serious issue yet. All forum full with this. Big blame for nexus 5 one of the best hardware and we cant make a proper phone call

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
what's the update from those that got replacements?

also - my finger over the noise canceling mic trick does not always seem to work.

anuberry

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Total Bummer-Sauce with my new Nexus 5!!!

PROBLEM FOUND!

I had the same issue with my Nexus 5 where recorded video had static noise and also during phone calls, the other person on the line could not hear me properly. I did a RMA and the new device have the same problem now. After reading about this issue, analyzing sample videos on YouTube and doing some own testing... I can confirm that this issue exist on every Nexus 5. The static noise in recorded video only occurs when recorded in a quiet environment whereas the phone call mic issue occurs when the person is talking too quietly in a quiet surrounding. The noise cancellation setting is messed up on Nexus 5 and I believe a software update will fix this soon.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

It's a software issue. I also had the thing where OK Google stops responding to voice but I think when it happened it was Search in general that just stopped working. It happened a couple of tines but only after OK Google didn't work. After rebooting it worked fine. So this is a software problem.

They don't tell us much but I'm sure they're working on patches for stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

expired

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

I made a post about this on xda:

[Q] Dodgy mic when in call. - Page 2 - xda-developers

You can actually disable the noise cancellation

"I changed persist.audio.fluence.voicecall=true to false.
That disabled the noise cancellation for normal calls."

Just make sure the vlume isnt too high because the person on the other end can hear an echo, other than that its works