AIO poor signal

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I just spent several hours with 3 different chat people at AIO. (I'm hearing impaired and have a difficult time with telephone conversations so I use chat.) Supposedly at my home address I should get LTE service. I purchased one month $55 service yesterday with the sim card I purchased from AIO for $10. I activated without problem and was given a new number. I consistently get 0 to 2 bars of signal strength. That doesn't seem like LTE but I am a newbie at this sort of thing. Two chat personal had me change the APN data and did some resetting from their end. I was asked to wait 15 minutes before re-inserting the sim card and turning on the Nexus 5. No change. There now appears an "H" next to the 0 - 2 bars which I don't know the meaning of. The third person I chatted with said even though I have had their service for less than 24 hours their policy is no refunds. She also said that they don't guarantee performance if you don't buy your device from them.

Does anyone have any suggetions to offer? I hate to lose $55 and go to Straight Talk or AT&T which may or may not be better.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, first of all, step outside your home and see what your service is like. If you are able, walk a block in any direction and see what it is like there.

Secondly, what type of home are you in? Small, single-family, wood-frame construction? Larger home or brick construction? Apartment complex? All of these things will affect in-building signal strength.

junglejunkie

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I have my N5 on Aio as well. It registers LTE for me. FYI, levels of cellular service are as follows: LTE > HSPA (H) > 3G > 2G (EDGE) > GPRS (G).

These are the APN settings I used:

Name: Aio Wireless
APN: ndo
Proxy: Not Set
Port: Not Set
Username: Not Set
Password: Not Set
Server: Not Set
MMSC: http://mmsc.aiowireless.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.aiowireless.net
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 150
Authentication type: Not Set
APN type: default,mms,fota,hipri,supl

After you change APN settings you need to reboot your phone for them to take effect.

Hope this helps.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have my N5 on Aio as well. It registers LTE for me. FYI, levels of cellular service are as follows: LTE > HSPA (H) > 3G > 2G (EDGE) > GPRS (G).

After you change APN settings you need to reboot your phone for them to take effect.

Hope this helps.

But, LTE and HSPA relate only to the data part of the connection; neither has anything to do with voice service (although Voice over LTE - VoLTE is in the testing stages I understand). Similarly, APN settings affect only the data portion of the cellular connection; they do not impact signal strength nor voice connections.

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, first of all, step outside your home and see what your service is like. If you are able, walk a block in any direction and see what it is like there.

Secondly, what type of home are you in? Small, single-family, wood-frame construction? Larger home or brick construction? Apartment complex? All of these things will affect in-building signal strength.
Thanks for the help. I live in a brick house but stepping outside and walking around the block I experience 1 - 2 bars of signal strength. The house doesn't appear to make much difference.

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Hope this helps.

Thanks. AIO gave me those settings but they have not improved the signal strength.

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
But, LTE and HSPA relate only to the data part of the connection; neither has anything to do with voice service (although Voice over LTE - VoLTE is in the testing stages I understand). Similarly, APN settings affect only the data portion of the cellular connection; they do not impact signal strength nor voice connections.

That's helpful information. I have not really tested phone calling. Due to my hearing impairment I am more concerned with data. I guess as long as I've paid for a month I'll just have to be patient and try the data in different areas.

I do appreciate everyone's input.

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Did you have a different phone before the Nexus 5 on Aio? I am also on Aio and prior to my Nexus 5 I was using an iPhone 5c. The iPhone showed nearly full bars of LTE, my Nexus shows 1-2 regularly at my home. I haven't noticed the data to be really any slower against the 5c. Perhaps it's just a difference in how the phone displays the signal strength?

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you have a different phone before the Nexus 5 on Aio? I am also on Aio and prior to my Nexus 5 I was using an iPhone 5c. The iPhone showed nearly full bars of LTE, my Nexus shows 1-2 regularly at my home. I haven't noticed the data to be really any slower against the 5c. Perhaps it's just a difference in how the phone displays the signal strength?

Interesting observation. This is my first attempt with AIO. I also have an ancient Tracfone which uses AT&T and consistently gives 4 bars.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Funny aio tells me that the nexus 5 isn't supported. They said that if I used it, that it would have data problems.

Posted via Android Central App

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
GoPhone customers ( since june 2013) are treated on par with postpaid at&t customers - they use the same apn settings. I specifically asked at&t tech support and was told that go phone customers are now on the same n/w as postpaid. This means that they should in theory have same access to roaming ( as long as the phone also supports roaming partner frequencies).
Yeah, Aio customers have to go through a proxy. There's a youtube video where a guy does a speedtest with an AT&T sim (i don't remember if it was gophone or contract sim), and has a ping in the 60's. He pops in Aio sim, and ping goes into the 200s.
GoPhone doesn't throttle your data speeds. 8mb/s is about the average HSPA+ speeds for AT&T in some areas. Their LTE is much faster, maybe more than twice or three times that.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I'd check out GoPhone maybe? It's an exyra $5 or so but it might be worth it and there will be no proxy slowing you down.

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Funny aio tells me that the nexus 5 isn't supported. They said that if I used it, that it would have data problems.

AIO accepted my IMEI as a device that works with AIO. In one of my "chats" however, the agent said unless I purchased my device from AIO they could not guarantee coverage.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Weird. Well it works. They even provided the SIM and set it up, I just had to input the APN settings.

How is your coverage? Does it seem slow?

My imei was greyed out on there website. Then I called them and they said it wasn't a supported device. Aio says they don't have the correct apn settings so they can't guarantee data.

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
How is your coverage? Does it seem slow?

My imei was greyed out on there website. Then I called them and they said it wasn't a supported device. Aio says they don't have the correct apn settings so they can't guarantee data.

data is just as good as it was on my 5c. The APN settings are in their website.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

chnacat

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site

Hope this helps.

also on aio w/ the N5. on LTE, only getting 8.53 down and 9.77 up. not great. not what i'm seeing other people get on other networks. am using the same APN settings as you are. any thoughts on how we can increase our LTE speeds without having to go to another carrier? aio uses AT&Ts backbone, we should be getting faster speeds, no?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
also on aio w/ the N5. on LTE, only getting 8.53 down and 9.77 up. not great. not what i'm seeing other people get on other networks. am using the same APN settings as you are. any thoughts on how we can increase our LTE speeds without having to go to another carrier? aio uses AT&Ts backbone, we should be getting faster speeds, no?

Actually, no.

For one thing, AIO plainly states here AIO Wireless Data Speeds

Though data speeds vary due to several factors, including those beyond Aio's control, our 4G LTE service currently offers download speeds up to 8 Mbps and our 4G HSPA+ service currently offers download speeds up to a maximum of 4 Mbps. On our 3G HSPA/UMTS service, typical download speeds range from approximately 700 Kbps up to 1.7 Mbps

And, this recent New York Times article http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/10/t...t-free-finding-a-phone-and-plan-that-fit.html explains why. Basically, you don't get the full capabilities of the network; that's why you get to pay less than the company's "regular" customers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair