Nexus 5 Bluetooth streaming, audio to go deaf for

theCman

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello all, I am using a white nexus 5 32gb coming from a galaxy note 2 and might I say I love this phone! However, one big issue is whenever I try to stream music or audio through my Bluetooth headphones the volumes are WAY TOO LOUD. The lowest possible volume is painfully loud, thus making it impossible to listen to music with this device at the time being. Is anybody else having this problem?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

compfixer87

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem, and I'm also using the LG Tone+ (HBS-730), though with a black 16GB model Nexus 5 that I picked up from Best Buy today.

Until Google/LG get around to fixing this bug, I'm using an equalizer app with the levels lowered to make Bluetooth streaming listenable. You can probably use any equalizer, but I am personally using this one:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.doodleapp.equalizer&token=GBOHNJFo

If you open that app after install, click on the equalizer icon in the upper left corner and then lower all of the levels to around -12, you should be good!

Last edited:

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Funny, using LG Tone+ with Nexus 5 too. The quietest setting is quite loud. Problem is I doubt LG would provide a fix through the BT app on the playstore...that thing hasn't been touched for 328782934 years. Hoping it's a Google issue and will be patched through an update.

edited to add: Just realized in the Play Music app. Start playing a song, have the phone connected to the headset, and then click the chromecast button in the top right corner as the song is playing and showing the panning album art. You'll see the LG Tone+ headset listed in the chromecast button. You'll see the volume for it is the lowest possible setting (even though, as we know, it's blaring-loud). Now take your finger and barely drag the volume to the very next "step" up (obviously take your headphone out unless you want to go deaf). Now let go of the slider/take your finger off. Notice how the volume slider IMMEDIATELY jumps to full-volume, not where you slid it to at all. I wonder if this information could help anyone provide a solution for us?

compfixer87

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
It's made even more amusing considering that both devices are made by LG in the first place. Still, if there must be bugs, this is far more preferable to what might have been... :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

avifors

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issues too with the same pair of headphones. Has anyone check if this occurs with other BT speakers or headphones?

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Wired headphones work just fine for me. It's just bluetooth (but I only have the Tone+ bluetooth headset to test with)

d.moss

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
same issue here with tone+.. the bluetooth volume controls have a mind of their own.. and apparently they only like to be super loud. weird bug

Posted via Android Central App

berg2

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Same problem - Ive had no luck with EQ apps as they dont seem to get between the audio and the bluetooth (they effect nothing)

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Interesting thread...

I have a pair of these Jaybirdgear Bluebuds X Bluetooth Headphones and I find that they work quite normally. With the volume control at about 25%, I hear nothing (which could be partly due to mild hearing loss on my part :) ) and much above 80% becomes uncomfortably loud. For me, the sweet spot is right around 70%.

compfixer87

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Just updated my 2013 3G Nexus 7 to Kit Kat and our deafening issue has shown up on this device, too. Hurray!

This seems to be an issue with the OS, itself. Those of you with Bluetooth headsets that aren't trying to kill your hearing: do you have hardware volume buttons? Maybe it has something to do with that? This is not ok...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mudgene

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Apparently this is just with stereo sets and/or music. I use a SoundID 300 earpiece for calls and the volume is fine.

Maybe the excess volume is the extra from the anemic onboard speakers? :) Hope they get that fixed.

Fr3lncr

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ditto for me. I just bought a pair of LG HBS-730 headphones and tried them out. Almost blew my eardrums :) I tried using the equalizer settings. Set everything at minimum but even with the volume set to minimum, it is what I would normally listen at.

I don't have this issue with wired headphones, just the bluetooth ones.

WhiteRa

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Ditto for me. I just bought a pair of LG HBS-730 headphones and tried them out. Almost blew my eardrums :) I tried using the equalizer settings. Set everything at minimum but even with the volume set to minimum, it is what I would normally listen at.

I don't have this issue with wired headphones, just the bluetooth ones.

Yeah, also using the LG Tone+ 730 and it is way too loud. I don't like that I have to use an equalizer app just so I could listen to music without my eardrums getting severely damaged.
The wired headphones work. I used the Apple Earpods and the pause/play function works but not the volume controls. I was surprised the pause/play functionality worked at all.

Also, maybe I'm doing it wrong, but must I have the equalizer app to be opened to be able to lower the volume?

Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX