My Nexus 5 is sending STATUS SMS to 9216

Jordan Schriver

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a nexus 4 and my phone has been doing this as well since downloading Kitkat. I have Fido as well, but as someone who works for customer service at a phone company I know that there's nothing Fido can do to stop this. I did delete VVM off of my phone, after reading the forum but my VVM app doesn't work now after upgrading my value pack to the new voicemail to text option anyway. I have only received one voicemail since getting Kitkat though, and I believe I deleted it so there is something seriously wrong if this is voicemail related.

Also I DON'T have textra, the most recent downloaded app was quickoffice long before this error started. It was definitely kitkat that triggered this. The status SMS to 9216 seems to go out hourly. It's annoying. I hope Google and Fido fix whatever bad joojoos between them that seems to be causing this

Enelge

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here.

-Nexus 5 (not from Fido, from Google) [bootloader locked, unrooted]
-Hangouts only SMS app installed
-Fido VVM+ installed (but it still sucks)

The Status SMS has happened a couple separate times now. On mine it recently sent from my handset four (4) separate SMS messages:

STATUS
Activate:dt=8

The last time it did it, it sent "STATUS" about 11 times.

Looking forward to an answer.

bbgolf

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I have not had any more "9216" messages since November 27th. VMM+ is working as it should, aside from the fact the transcription is usually very poor.

KonstantineN

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Fido with Nexus 5 running stock 4.4.1. Noticed the messages sent as well. No other text messaging apps installed. Followed advice above to remove Fido Visual Voicemail. Now the messages stopped. Tried to install Fido Visual Voicemail again and messages started going out again. It's def something with Kitkat and Fido Visual Voicemail app.

Jeje H

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Same thing just happened to me yesterday, upgrade on my Moto X to Kitkat 4.4.2 then the live links on the email app would not be "live" no more and the SMS to 9216 started.
Had to install another email multi client ( Aquamail) to get the links live again.
I just uninstalled the VMP from Fido (wasn't working anyway) and seems to have fixed the SMS issue. Gonna call Fido tomorrow and see what they say.

I hate it when an upgrade just makes my life more complicated :( I love my Moto and it was working just fine before the upgrade except for the Fido app but I'd get the voicemail in my SMS so I don't care

Robert Lin

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I received tons of texts saying STATUS from a number 9216 starting Jan 22, 2014. Just today I received 33 texts, and it's only 12pm!

Carrier: Fido
Phone: Nexus 5, ordered from Google, 4.4.2

Called Fido today, and was advised to reply with "STOP".
Also within Fido app, there's something called Extreme Text Messaging, where you can block unwanted texts.

I did both of the above, and cross my fingers hoping no more strange texts coming my way.

MitchRapp

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Confirmed FIDO VISUAL VOICE MAIL APP caused this

Installed it this morning, it said I didn't have visual voice mail on my account (Fido reps have no idea how to do anything btw)
Uninstalled it
5 hours later, notice weird STATUS sms was sent from my phone this morning to a 4-digit code
Momentary freak out
Googled it
Found this thread
Saw fido this fido that
Asked colleague to see his phone (he has visual voicemail app) - STATUS STATUS STATUS

Sigh of relief.

Alex Okrushko

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I've had KitKat and Fido + VVM for some time and haven't seen these messages
When I got to US then the messages started to appear. I've got over 100 of them. At 0.75 per text that would be $75+.
Hope Fido would reimburse that.

Dina Argyris

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
OUCH.. unfortunately fido wont reimburse that. I called because of this issue and she told me fido isn't responsible. I've been having this issue too and I've had enough of it!

Kenny Economides

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S4 with FIDO.

Yesterday I got a system update download and went ahead with the install. Suddenly "STATUS" is being texted to the above number constantly. Probably at least 100 times today. I called FIDO and they said to reset the phone to factory settings or call Samsung for help. USELESS!!! They told me I probably have a virus. They had no information on it...funny how I was able to find this posting. IT'S A BLOODY FIDO PROBLEM!!!

Luckily I found this post. I deleted VVM+ and hopefully that solves the problem as it has for you guys. I'm concerned that if I go out of my free texting area this will start and it will cause huge chaos on my bill.

thekiller8888

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Hey i've also got the Galaxy S4 with Fido

have the same problem, send STATUS to a 4 digit number 9216. This started appening right after my Android update to 4.4.2.

I instaled a app "Avira Antivirus" to scan my phone. It detected a Malware called "Android/SmsSend.36.25" in my application "CamScanner" and suggested me to uninstall CamScanner. I did But the problem was not solved. My phone kept sending STATUS to the 4 digit number. Did a little research and found out that Android/SmsSend.A is an SMS-sending malware that reaps profit from sending SMS messages to premium rate numbers. (Check reference Trojan:Android/SmsSend.A )

I thought it was because of CamScanner, turns out by coincidence Everyone is with fido. Is it possible fido did this for the money? Dont know but what I do know is that I uninstalled VVM+. And It seems to have stopped...

Hope my story is gonna help someone out there.

Last edited:

BigSphinx

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I've had a Fido Samsung Galaxy S4 since May, and this just started on my phone two days ago after I upgraded my firmware to Kit Kat. From what I've read, the only thing we all have in common is Kit Kat and Fido.

franck527

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
the problem is the last android update i got the same problem with my galaxy s4 . The same day i installed the new update it start sending 9216 status message i have called Fido and they confirmed that's the update the problem.

It's bad if you do not have unlimited texte message i suggest to call your provider to be sure you dont pay for somebody esle error

hope it helped you have a nice day

tegbir s

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: My Samsung galaxy S4 is sending STATUS SMS to 9216

I am having samsung S4 with fido .... I updated to android 4.4.2 & since then its sending status messages ... I also tried sending stop message but no go.....
finally I uninstalled VVM & since then no message was sent ...
Also I tried calling fido & samsung both , talked with there supervisors but no one knows anything....

right now problem is fixed by uninstalling VVM ... if problem presist I"ll post again.
TC :)

primoo

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: My Samsung galaxy S4 is sending STATUS SMS to 9216

Hey Guys,

I have the same problem as all of you. KitKat & FIDO on a Samsung Galaxy S4. Uninstalling Visual Voicemail hidden in my apps cleared it for me...

Thanks for all your help :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995