Trying to switch to Nexus 5 from 5S, questions for experts....

heda_p

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
had iphone5s gold and sold the day nexus 5 announced, due to larger screen, wifiac, nfc payments, native google os , wireless changing, chromecast and miracast support

I had challenges when i bought nexus7 on dy one and then gifted to my cousin as i was horribly dissatisfied....personally i hate apple policies to rip users in diff ways but i just couldnt see myself finding a better alternative and i dont believe in compromises so paying money is not that big a deal for convenience....if u feel money is more imp than convenience than this post is not meant for u....question i am trying to solve is if money i not the factor can android 4.4 with nexus5 or any top of the line device can beat 5s with ios7....

first experience chromecast is nice but it does not support my PC remotes via CEC (only channel switching and volume is supported), nice product but very limited functionality and iphone can use chromecast as much as android phone does for all the supported apps, which sucks cause there is no apparent benefit in moving to android here....even android own browser does not support chromecast.....though chromecast has potential in future as it opens api for all apps and allow play,pause,reverse,fwd, skip controls from my TV remote (check xbmc if u do not know what CEC does and meant for), airplay miss only one feature called CEC auto switching input otherwise airplay is 10 times better integrated in IOS and does everything with utter smoothness, chromecast support for android browser is a must to have some sort of competition....i understand it cost only 35 but it does work only that much also, where is $99 device which does it better with miracast support and full CEC implementation and support all apps to chromecast....nice idea but need to be implemented fully to compete...

now fitbit app had no option to add a device cause its not supported...amazing right considering its the latest OS in the market (i know this will come support soon but you see theer is an issue there which u will never found on iphones)

keyboard does not auto popup: user friendliness is just not there in may places...for example when u add wifi and it ask for password on that screen keyboard does not auto popup, you must click on curson in the textbox to have keyboard show up (small but very important thing to notice for user friendliness in OS)

wifi pushconnect not supported, yes android does not support a simple push to connect wifi feature, even though it has (edit: my bad it does not work on iphone either)

Podcast app: is there any single app which support video playlist, swipe gestures to control, Bluetooth control, background video playback? not even asking for airplay as i know its coming on beyondpod once google opens up chromecast (didnt find swipe gestures in beyondpod) and am okay with paying money for the best podcast app, not having cable podcast is my only way to keep in touch with news world and that something i cant compromise....

keyboard shortcuts feature is just not working, added it in personal dictionary but just not working, how pathetic it is this is like 3 years old feature, google need to be spanked for making mess for keeping these simple features working.....

Dont feel personal about my findings and the way i wrote them, i as much as like to use nexus 5 i refuse to accept less from products, i will be using it for next 3 months for sure cause i dont think apple has progressed on technology enough (64 bit and touchid is greatly implemented but i dont miss them much anyway) i do hope next apple tv with support wifidirect/airdrop, wifi-tdls, hdmi-CEC nd that will make it an invincible product plus cabletv mostly

I am getting xboxone on 22nd so will test miracast exp as well, look fwd to your comments and suggestions....

Dont hate me:) and ignore typos.....

Last edited:

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Re: trying to switch to nexus5 from 5s, questions for experts....

Not taking anything personally, I'm not sure if your point is to simply compare the two or you actually want to move to the nexus 5. I don't use fitbit, so I can speak to that. The keyboard has always worked well for me, popping up in places I need it to. Not at all sure about your complaints about the keyboard.

Look, iOS has its advantages, Android has its. The iPhone works for some, other phones for others. I don't think that you should force yourself to move to the Nexus 5 if it isn't a natural fit for you, not any more then I should force myself to move to the iPhone 5s.

Posted via Android Central App

heda_p

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Am also trying to share my experience coming from iPhone5, that's the only way to compare 2 os and gave android community some perspective as well

Okay it seems keyboards shortcut does work in SMS as well as here, not in login text box for apps, means i have to type full email.

Another app nextissue is also not supported , not sure why cause its simple app which does not use any special tech behind it

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

When you say something is "not supported," it doesn't tell us anything if you don't tell us just exactly *what* doesn't work. Keyboards won't come up until a cursor is in a writable field. Whether the cursor is there automatically or not is, as far as I can tell, an app developer's choice. In iOS, I'm not sure developers have that choice. In any case, I can make the case for this choice - I like it because in some cases (particularly in chrome), I have my login info auto-populate, and the keyboard, if it comes up, is merely a distraction I have to manually remove. Lots of apps provide the option of using it with or without creating an account. If my intention to use such an app without logging in, why should I have to bother with a keyboard coming up in my face, covering the cancel button, where all I want to do is ignore the login screen? In everything I use, the keyboard behavior is exactly as I expect and prefer.

Sir Alex

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

Dont feel personal about my findings and the way i wrote them, i as much as like to use nexus 5 i refuse to accept less from products,.

If you use the Nexus 5, and try to figure out a problem, a feature, or whatever, experienced users will offer their inputs to help each other out.

You use this product. You use that product. Don't worry. Nobody takes what you write personal. You are nobody special.

DigitalReality

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site

Wifi push connect is there. At least on my n4 running on 4.3. Keyboard pops where ever necessary.

heda_p

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Wifi push connect is there. At least on my n4 running on 4.3. Keyboard pops where ever necessary.

i just re-verified, wifi push to connect does not work on nexus5 as well as iphone5 (my abd somehow i though it worked on iphone before)

regarding keyboard popub select any wifi network next screen will require you to enter password but there will be no auto keyboard

heda_p

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

This is the one of the example screen where keyboard should automatically popup....(entering password for wifi network screen)
Screenshot_2013-11-10-18-53-56.jpg

This is the nextissue app which has more than 100000 downloads still it says not compatible with nexus 5 (there is no need to guess in ios, it always works in new os version)
Screenshot_2013-11-10-18-55-07.jpg

This is the fitbit app which which says there are issue with bluetooth sync on my device...
Screenshot_2013-11-10-18-55-37.jpg

heda_p

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

found some other issue....

bluetooth volume control goes down only 3 steps down and then it goes backup again....tried on pandora/ google play radio/ beyondpod....seems like a google forgot dogfooding bluetooth implementation

2 bluetooth devices switching is not supported on a call, i was in my car and my car bluetooth was playing music a call comes in and there was no way to switch call to my other bluetooth headset....(phone only has option to select bluetooth, not which one)....

both these basic things worked just fine since iphone 3gs

chromecast implementation is very very bad (Google need to hire someone from xbmc team to implement HDMI CEC), it does not even support controlling TV volume, no pause play, also android devices cant stream whats on their browser, next version should fix all that + add miracast to it

Jerfer

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

Some android apps will say they aren't compatible with the new version when they really are. It's up to the developer to update their compatibility settings. If it isn't compatible, it's up to the developer to update their app to make it compatible.

I can't speak to your other issues since I don't ever use bluetooth on my phone.

Jerfer

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

As far as Chromecast is concerned, I do own one. I also have a Roku. I like my Roku more since it has an app called Twonky that allows me to stream media from my phone to my TV, including Youtube and other streaming sites. I also have the Plex app installed on Roku, which lets me stream movies and shows from my computer to my TV. I'm not sure where Chromecast is headed, but Roku is much better than Apple TV.

heda_p

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

As far as Chromecast is concerned, I do own one. I also have a Roku. I like my Roku more since it has an app called Twonky that allows me to stream media from my phone to my TV, including Youtube and other streaming sites. I also have the Plex app installed on Roku, which lets me stream movies and shows from my computer to my TV. I'm not sure where Chromecast is headed, but Roku is much better than Apple TV.

heda_p

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

My current setup is using xbmc on windows 8.1 pc equipped with hdmi-cec connected to 70" screen to play my 12 TB of media collections, pictures, music and 3d movies blurays (no need to convert any video), use iphone for amazon prime, netflix, hulu plus and all streaming needs and when at home transfer video on my tv using airplay feature of xbmc.

I have tried roku, plex twonkey and the idea of streaming local media kills the quality so plex/twonkey is a compromise, I use airvideo to see all home videos to see when outside home using runtime transcoding, using remote to stop a channel on roku and then till I found what next to play is waste of time, on iphone all these things works much much better and while can play podcast playlist on airplay while search for another video on safari youtube makes things very simple and very very easy multitasking…. While watching youtube or video podcast on airplay you can just simple swipe to skip video by 30 sec, or continue to browse other apps while videos are playing on xbmc airplay, with roku u r stick to use at home while iphone is with you all the time so on the move you can continue to stream netflix and when come home just switch to airplay from that point

By the way found another issue which troubled me 2 times already, corporate email sync suddenly stops 2 times, last time it started after like a day and after reboot it synched up and right now its still lagging behind todays emails, reboot did not fixed it…..this is just not acceptable, it never happened on iphone not even once….i dropped and added email but not much help….

Funny thing with android is most of the apps does not have background video feature so if I goto another app say chrome YouTube stops playing the video, it kills whole idea of multitasking…..

I use google search and maps a lot and seems maps burn battery like anything…..way more than using same google maps on iphone….iphone 1 hour of maps plus podcast video playing burn 15% while driving or on move, nexus battery went real fast, something next time will keep an eye

beiting

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The auto keyboard thing is kind of a weird complaint, but to each his/her own.

I use Pocket Cast and so far it has been the best podcasting app I've used on any mobile device.

heda_p

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Thx Beiting...can you confirm if pocket cast support video playlist, swipe gestures to control skip, Bluetooth control, background video playback?

heda_p

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I'd suggest to stick with your iPhone. It seems to work better for you.

Too early to say at this point, am just trying to figure out the issues I am facing is because I don't know something in android or these are the limitations of having android and one has to live with that.

also coming from iphone am giving an iphone user perspective as well, what are the diff which u will hardly be able to know because most reviewers dont explain the challenges on both sides (most of the issues I mentioned above are not there in reviews to find, so I had to make sure its not user error)

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd suggest to stick with your iPhone. It seems to work better for you.

This.

None of the OSs are perfect for everyone. I think that Android is the best overall for most people, but even I would still recommend iOS for some people, because there are things iOS does better. Things Android had to compromise on to get it's flexibility.

Identify the most important items for you, and then pick the platform that delivers those items the best. It sounds like iOS delivers the best experience for the stuff the OP cares most about.

The auto keyboard thing is kind of a weird complaint, but to each his/her own.

I use Pocket Cast and so far it has been the best podcasting app I've used on any mobile device.
I actually like that it does not come up automatically. Because it would block part of the screen when I am trying to read it. I personally do not like the OS to think for me on stuff like that. I would rather that the keyboard pop up QUICKLY when I tell it to.

That is touch-response, another area iOS phones have always been good at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair